DVDVR Message Board

Lackluster Debuts

Web Conn

WCW did a shit job with Bret Hart but short of debuting him in Canada, I'm not sure how they could've brought him in with any impact.  Yeah, they could've hyped him up as the real WWF Champion but he just seemed like such a broken man when WCW got him.  I saw him at the Georgia Dome and he got a tepid response and then Flair came out and blew the roof off the place and then ate his lunch on the mic.  WCW and WWF just had different audiences.

I still think Seven could've been good if Russo hadn't come in and immediately shitcanned it the way he did.  The gimmick wasn't just Goldust with a new coat of paint.  I can't even remember who explained it to me anymore but Seven was supposed to be the manifestation of that little kid's nightmares and the kid was in control and was going to unleash Seven upon WCW.

Chris Harris in NXT/WWE/ECW.

I can't remember his name, or which show it was on, but he was so fat, lazy and pathetic that that single match ended his career.

From part of the hottest tag team in 5+ years to unemployment, based on that debut match.

Braden Walker.

Posted Image

I mean, the look kind of works for me, as a kind of even dumber looking Mike Awesome.

may he rest in peace don't ban me pls

Has anyone mentioned the Buff Bagwell WWE debut?  He was in what very well be the worst Raw main event of all time and was fired immediately after.  If that isn't a lackluster debut, I don't know what else could even be considered.

Has anyone mentioned the Buff Bagwell WWE debut?  He was in what very well be the worst Raw main event of all time and was fired immediately after.  If that isn't a lackluster debut, I don't know what else could even be considered.

Good call.

Getting beaten up by Shane Helms and a frozen water bottle probably didn't help him.

Maybe it was done on purpose but MVP debut match being on a PPV against Marty Garner (Cham Pain) was severly lackluster to the point it took the heel announcer JBL a couple months to stop making fun of him.

MVP was definitely deliberate.

The best part was how JBL only changed his mind on MVP after he took him out for a fancy dinner.
  • Like 1

"worst Raw main event of all time"? that's some superb hyperbole there. It wasn't a great match or anything, but it was perfectly serviceable.

after a quick rewatch, face Booker T gets pretty much no reaction at all, no matter what he does. heel Bagwell at least gets some boos when he does heelish stuff. i think the biggest problem is that WWF had put so much time in saying WCW was inferior, then they give the main event spot to a face who had recently attacked Steve Austin and a debuting Buff Bagwell. there was no audience connection.

• Like 1

"worst Raw main event of all time"? that's some superb hyperbole there. It wasn't a great match or anything, but it was perfectly serviceable.

after a quick rewatch, face Booker T gets pretty much no reaction at all, no matter what he does. heel Bagwell at least gets some boos when he does heelish stuff. i think the biggest problem is that WWF had put so much time in saying WCW was inferior, then they give the main event spot to a face who had recently attacked Steve Austin and a debuting Buff Bagwell. there was no audience connection.

I don't know if there has ever been a wrestling moment that I remember that differently from reality.  I remember watching it live and thinking it was the worst thing I had ever watched and that match being a huge contributing factor in the invasion not working.  I just watched an average wrestling match that probably is on par with half of the stuff on Raw these days.  It's funny how time can play tricks I guess.

I don't know if there has ever been a wrestling moment that I remember that differently from reality.  I remember watching it live and thinking it was the worst thing I had ever watched and that match being a huge contributing factor in the invasion not working.  I just watched an average wrestling match that probably is on par with half of the stuff on Raw these days.  It's funny how time can play tricks I guess.

yeah, i didn't really mean that as a personal attack on you or anything, i just hate that that match in particular gets built up as just an absolute stinker, and gets blamed for Bagwell being out of a job and the invasion as a whole failing.

To be fair, the quality of "half the stuff on Raw these days has dropped considerably.

If we're are talking strictly about match quality, I would argue that RAW has never been better than the last couple of years. Now, booking and being 3 fucking hours long...
  • Like 1

I have good memories of watching that match. If anything ruined it, it was the commentary team dammit!

Speaking of which. If it was possible, how would anyone feel about WCW's commentary team doing their own invasion and calling their matches?
They did, Hudson and Arn called a match and did not do well.