DVDVR Message Board

Raw is #FTR - 1/7/2019

Dolfan in NYC

I missed most of the Nattie/Lacey Evans, but Nattie was way over for some reason.

I went to buy some food as I was on an empty stomach all day once EC3's music hit and I ended up spending $36 on 2 tacos, 2 drinks and 2 nachos... I'd still rather end up overspending on concession stand food than watching EC3.

The first hour of RAW -- the six man tag and the Hulk Hogan Mean Gene segment were awesome. Everything after that was forgettable.

As I mentioned before, Rollins got the loudest pops of night as he was way over with the crowd. Cena, Nattie and Finn got the other loudest pops in that order.

I thought Sasha/Nia is the worst possible combination of opponents for a women's match with one being extremely reckless and coming close to injure herself numerous times and the other being extremely careless with her opponents. I thought the huracanrana apron spot was dumb and could have ended worse than it did with either Sasha landing on her head or Nia somehow fumbling on her head and breaking her neck. Luckily enough nothing happened.

The main event was alright, but I was dead by then. Again massive pops for Rollins and massive boos for Ambrose and Lashley.

Edit:

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I think this is probably what they were going for:

Doing it on the apron makes the angle tougher for sure--but also, Nia is just very bad.

No way those two could have done that.

(now, capitalize each letter and insert a clapping emoji between each word, like they do on the twitterz)

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

I thought Sasha/Nia is the worst possible combination of opponents for a women's match with one being extremely reckless and coming close to injure herself numerous times and the other being extremely careless with her opponents. I thought the huracanrana apron spot was dumb and could have ended worse than it did with either Sasha landing on her head or Nia somehow fumbling on her head and breaking her neck. Luckily enough nothing happened.

They have had better, smarter matches. Why they opted for stupid shit now I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

They have had better, smarter matches. Why they opted for stupid shit now I have no idea.

A prime example of the producer/agent failing the talent. Kalisto is a trained luchador, and he opted to do the exact same move in the middle of the ring. If he chose to do it where he had lots of space and only inches to fall, why is Sasha doing it on the apron to an opponent 100 lbs heavier and less flexible than Davari?

A bad choice all around.

• Like 1

I dunno what was up with that Braun segment. I think that whatever may have been lined up for Braun,he killed it dead last night with that horrible performance. It's like they either let him go out there with free reign as a test to say whatever he wanted and he froze, or he completely blanked on what he was scripted to say and he froze. There was a huge pause in the middle there where he just had the blankest of blank stares on his face, then his lips started moving a little like he was trying to remember what he was supposed to say but couldn't get it out. Either way, he looked horrible in that segment, killed any mystique he still had left, and I wouldn't be surprised if whatever was in store for him is over.

EDIT: Wanted to add this real quick. This is an old friend of mine, Alicia, doing the interview of Sasha/Bayley. She was recently hired by WWE and has been doing similar work as this with NXT the last two months, but his is her first time "on RAW". Pretty cool to see somebody I know getting on WWE TV.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Edwin said:

The first hour of RAW -- the six man tag and the Hulk Hogan Mean Gene segment were awesome. Everything after that was forgettable.

Sums up my thoughts as well, felt like a hot start to the year in the opening and loved the Hulkster segment, then things just went back to business as usual. Just hoping last night finally puts an end to the Braun overpush experiment for good.

The Braun-Brock segment was awkward, Braun was a deer in headlights in some parts like he couldn't think of an insult that wasn't obscene. He should have went for broke and called Lesnar a punk bitch or something or made a steroids jab say or a something about cheating to beat Mark Hunt but no matter how much juice you drink rumble morning you aint beating me. I mean he should have went of script cuz evidently he couldnt remember the script

The exact opposite was the Moment of Bliss segment where all 3 women were I thought spot on. I really got a kick out of Nia sitting in the director's chair and saying "I know im the bitch but i aint a bitch". It was a fun and loose segment with 3 performers who know their characters. I didn't get that from Brock and Braun.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 2:34 PM, Web Conn said:

The Braun-Brock segment was awkward, Braun was a deer in headlights in some parts like he couldn't think of an insult that wasn't obscene. He should have went for broke and called Lesnar a punk bitch or something or made a steroids jab say or a something about cheating to beat Mark Hunt but no matter how much juice you drink rumble morning you aint beating me. I mean he should have went of script cuz evidently he couldnt remember the script

The exact opposite was the Moment of Bliss segment where all 3 women were I thought spot on. I really got a kick out of Nia sitting in the director's chair and saying "I know im the bitch but i aint a bitch". It was a fun and loose segment with 3 performers who know their characters. I didn't get that from Brock and Braun.

God, anything like that could have salvaged that. You're the god damn monster among men! I don't want to see Braun delivering big eloquent monologues. The greatest thing Braun has ever said on WWE television was "I'm not finished with you." Keep it short, have him just be big and menacing and make me believe for half a second you might actually win this damn thing

They just insist that everyone has to fit in the same paradigm for no apparent reason. "You're a face challenging for the belt? Cut promo type 12." even if that is way outside your skill set.

• Like 5

So, we all know that, even though we don't like it, scripted promos are here to stay.

So why the fuck do they have old school wrestlers teaching "promo classes" at the PC? If you want them to deliver scripted material credibly well, instead of having someone that learned how to handle "you're wrestling X in City on Date, you got three minutes" why not hire an actual acting teacher?

44 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Haven’t they done that in the past? Or is it just some people took acting (and/or improv) classes on their own? 

I believe this was on a Talk is Jericho episode, but apparently during his cup of coffee there, Freddie Prinze Jr says he did some acting exercises with the wrestlers, but no one was really into it at first, including John Cena openly shitting on the idea.

And I really hope it's true Prinze actually told Miz at one point something to the effect of "Robert Downey Jr is unquestionably a better actor then me. He also does not give a fuck about you. I do."

• Like 1

I feel like it should just be part of the program at the Performance Center. A regular acting class with someone that has a B.A. in theatre and experience teaching actors.

It won't make them all Brando, but it hopefully would help avoid things like we saw with Braun. Because they'd learn how to memorize lines, assign actions to what they are saying, understand what they are trying to get across, etc. 

Why yes, I did major in theatre with an emphasis on acting, why do you ask?

• Like 1

Honestly it's not a bad idea. I think the vast majority of people round these parts would prefer the old school style interviews(I know I would), but for better or worse it's not what current wwe wants or is going to put on the shows. Just giving them basic acting lessons can't hurt and really could help these 20 minute interview segments(on an unrelated note, why are we still doing those?)not be such dumpster fires half the time