DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

On 4/11/2019 at 2:05 PM, AverageKong said:

the crowds are either kinda awkwardly quiet or they're being annoying with their sing song chants

Hello, and welcome to England. We are too self-conscious to show any enjoyment or immersion in anything unless it's tongue in cheek banter

Wasn't all there mentally for Ligero/Ohno until the last 4 minutes, but I liked what I saw.

KLR/Xia Li was decent though it feels like Ray is holding back a bit every time she wrestles.

MM vs. Andrews/Webster was good fun.

Mansoor/Banks was a decent showcase for Banks.

Dug the little promo for Xia Brookside. The one for Nina Samuels was nice as well. Kind of surprised she hasn't really talked on the show before now.

Piper/Reina was decent.

WALTER/Devlin was the pretty good. Its probably the best Devlin has looked in WWE and the first time I think I have really liked in a WWE match. That said, I could do with him never doing that back suplex of his again on someone WALTER's size.

Mansoor was the most fun I've had in a Travis Banks match. Banks is exactly what Gibson is moaning about when he goes on about "kick pad wrestlers." 

I remember the first TV show had a Nina Samuels promo, which I enjoyed, and I hoped that she'd win the match, but that was before I knew who Toni Storm was. 

I liked Reina's Stan Hanson cos-play. Not sure she's quite there, but I would love to see her do the Hanson AJPW entrance through the crowd. That she never will is one of the bad things about wrestling in the 21st century. 

Devlin vs. WALTER was a load of fun. Devlin wanting no part of WALTER's chops was great. I love WALTER's very basic style. 

Edited by DangerMark
Forgot Nina Samuels

Fans know that wrestlers won't actually touch them anymore, unless provoked, so Hansen storming through the audience would never work today.

Glad they are done airing the shows taped during Mania weekend. Just felt a little boring. Maybe I miss the wankers taking their shoes off for Zach Gibson.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DangerMark said:

Devlin vs. WALTER was a load of fun. Devlin wanting no part of WALTER's chops was great. I love WALTER's very basic style. 

I have to highly recommend the Devlin/Walter main event match from OTT's ScrapperMania 5. A white lava fiery babyface Devlin trying to defeat the evil disrespectful champion WALTER in front of a super hot crowd. It's amazing. Also Gibson draws some nuclear heat in his six-man. The crowd is deafening. Oh and David Starr takes the piss in epic fashion. Really just watch the whole show. ?

• Like 1

MM vs, The Hunt was solid. I like the Hunt's  new gear.

Nina/Owen was a squash. Dug Samuels' post match interview.

Kind of disappointed they took Jordan out of the tag titles match, but Williams/Dar vs. Gibson/Drake was so damn good. As was the pre-match promo with Gibson trying to send everyone home. That man is a wonderful heel.

Edited by Eivion

I think the Jordan & Williams thing isn't done yet. I'm really surprised by how much I actually wanted Kenny to win the titles, but not without Amir. As you say, it was a fine match. The Grizzled Young Vets Evil Foreigner act is great. Gibson is the one with the funny voice, and Drake mugs for the camera like he can't speak English himself.

I liked how Trent maybe not quite scared, but certainly a little unnerved by the Hunt. Also, I was a little surprised that they let a hometown wrestler win. I thought the WWE never did that. I guess things are a little (only a little, because of the Tag Title result) different in NXT UK.

All in all, an enjoyable hour of pro-wrestling.

Good show this week. Lots of guys who were ICW regulars for the Glasgow audience. Really liked Webster being a subtle heel because Coffey was the hometown hero.

Who attacked Jordan could turn into a nice little mystery, assuming he can avoid getting injured before the story concludes.

Was nice to see Jamie Hayter even if it was just to be squashed by Piper.

Dug Toni's promo laying the challenge to Samuels.

Ligero/Devlin was solid.

Kind of loved how Kelly ditched poor Xia to Jazzy. Jinny playing manager to Jazzy could be interesting.

Mastiff/Wolfgang was decent. Still feels weird to see Gallus so beloved even if it because they are wrestling in their home country.

Stoked to see Gabert debut but those two need a team name, Jinny and Jazzy sounds like an unsuccessful off Broadway musical. I also enjoyed Kelly/Xia while it lasted. Their women’s division is looking pretty strong and diverse, stronger than NXT’s at the moment I’d say. I hope they let it cook for a while.

Piper is probably my favorite female on the brand outside of Jinny at the moment. She isnt having stellar matches but works appropriately to where she appears on the card. Solid match against Hayter.

Ligero vs Devlin was fun, but Devlins selling was a little to overdramatic at points. 

Jazzys debut was cool because she has a great 2nd accompanying her. Loved that Kelly ditched Xia to be destroyed 

Conners/Banks & Dar/Andrews were both solid. 

Dug the Nina Samuels promo.

Walter/Dunne was not as good as Takeover New York, but still good though the finish didn't quite hit home for me. I am glad to see Walter with Aichner & Barthel finally

WALTER vs. Dunne was never going to be as good as the first, but they did a reasonable job of building off the first match. I'm not sure that WALTER should need a goon squad, but it's good to see Barthel and Aichner regularly, so I'm going to wait before I actually complain about that.

Heel Dar is the best Dar. The Scottish crowd being unable to boo anyone Scottish did kid of put a dampener on that, although for some reason I just find their partiality pretty funny when they're cheering for Gallus. Banks' face when he name dropped Coffey to a cheer was the most personality he's ever shown. Nina Samuels buying herself "Congratulations" cards already was fun, too.

Trying to put my finger on what's wrong with Connors, and I think it might be that he comes out so shiny with that grungy looking coat. Compare him to James Drake who does that look better, he looks a little skeevier, plus Drake seems to be aiming for (and hitting) "Wanker" a lot better, while Connors going for "Psycho" is a little flat.

The reveal of Imperium and subsequent brawl with British Strong Style was fun.

Dug Gallus's squash of A-kid and the poor bastard whose name I missed.

Gallagher/Ohno was predictably good. I liked how Ohno kept it nice and fair until Jack started to get the better of him in the mat segments. That senton as a result of Jack's headbutt was neat as well.

The segments with Isla, Xia, and Viper were nice. While I do wish NXT UK's women's divisions was showcased a bit more match wise I do like how they continue to build everyone up.

Toni/Samuels was solid, and easily Samuels's best showing in NXT UK. The two had nice chemistry, feels like they could do even more with each other.

Womens title match was good. Didnt think Nina stood a chance walking away with the strap, but she brought the fight to Toni. Never knew Nina was that athletic and I haven't seen a woman break out a butterfly backbreaker in a long time. Hope they mix it up again.

The camera getting knocked over in the brawl was the good kind of silly. It was nice to see it as a twist on the old brawl in the ring getting out of hand. I'd be quite happy if Barthel did all the talking for Imperium.

Two minute segments are as long as anyone needs to do anything. More of them, please. I hope we get a status update on Amir Jordan soon. WHO ATTACKED HIM DAMMIT?!

1 hour ago, DangerMark said:

The camera getting knocked over in the brawl was the good kind of silly. It was nice to see it as a twist on the old brawl in the ring getting out of hand. 

I did like it. It was different. Only thing I didn't like was that it was WAY too telegraphed. As soon as you saw the cameraman not leave the ring when brawl started you knew something was going to happen. I would have had him stand on apron in a more natural position for those guys and take a bump maybe to the outside(especially if using a local wrestler dressed as a camera guy, etc.)

Then again, there's a good chance I'm looking way too deeply in to this. Ha.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - A-Kid was backstage of the most recent tapings and is expected to sign a UK deal shortly

He was on TV this week as one of the jobbers for Gallus.  But him signing is great as from the little I've seen of him he's worth checking out.  Also helps that the times i've seen him were in that White Wold promotion with the killer venue and against guys like Sabre and Ricochet.

Also wanted to mention that this week was incredibly good with the Imperium\BSS brawl and especially Ohno/Gallagher.  I need more of that WoS style in modern wrestling and I would imagine Ohno had a blast doing that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I'm very much into the Hunt. Been a Wild Boar fan for a long time, and he works well with Primate as a pair of shorter, compact buzzsaws. Pairing them against two bigger guys worked really well in showing they can still be dominant despite the height difference, plus it led to the unlikely event of "face in peril Boar". The Hunt vs GYV feels like a potentially great match

• Like 2