DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

@Rev Ray and I saw a special screening of "Gaea Girls" at the Museum of Natural History back in 2000. No joke, people were walking out of the movie after they showed how badly Satomura wrecked Saika's face with that dropkick.

• Like 1

Finally caught the Walter-Dragunov match. Haven’t seen any pandemic era   NXT UK as I gave up the network but it’s on the free version. 
Firstly the arena setup looks shit, the mini thunder dome thing which went off halfway through and the logos/belt pics everywhere are ugly. Not sure how limited they were based on UK restrictions but I wish they’d just spread 20 or so of the roster around ringside to add a bit atmosphere. 

The match lived up to the hype and was as brutal as talked up. Only thing I disliked was Dragunov’s 619 rebound clothesline as it just doesn’t look like it generates any extra momentum. Loved the desperation of the sloppy running knee towards the end when he realised he couldn’t hit the headbutt again. This was how you do an epic where the near falls really feel earned (plus they weren’t overdone). Also really like going from one last big near fall straight to Walter just choking him out.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

No joke, people were walking out of the movie after they showed how badly Satomura wrecked Saika's face with that dropkick.

If I were in the UK Women's Division, I'd be looking up what Japanese is for "You're taking the piss!" and make sure to turn and run if she ever says that. 

The WWE put a best of Meiko in PROGRESS playlist on the Network

It is only three matches (all from the 2nd half of 2019) - vs. Jordynne Grace, vs. Dani Luna and vs. Jinny

This was a good episode. Connors getting stuff to do now that Jinny failed another attempt at the title is ok.

Hate to see Xia lose, but they try to heat up Samuels (any relation to Sha, then?) yet again. Let's see for what, this time?

T-Bone looks amazing. Bit baffled by Ilja, is he turning or just turning up the intensity up to 12?

Rampage vs Joe Coffey makes plenty of sense. Calling Coffey unapologetic on commentary less so, from PR perspective, at least.

Devlin vs Bomber was good, but Dave Mastiff, JTTS, is not something I find very appealing. He deserves better.

The opening match was Sha Samuels vs A-Kid for the Heritage Cup. Round one, Samuels goes 1-0 up with a submission. Advert break. Come back and the commentators are talking about how A-Kid was saved by the bell and the tap happened after the round had ended. And then a graphic comes up saying it's round 5 and we're tied at 1-1. Not sure what the point of showing a match is, if you edit out most of it.

I too watched Regal's kid.

Quick thoughts:

Lots of potential. I like what he chose to focus on, what he chose to do. Lots of extended hold sequences with hang-ons like I've been seeing in old Catch, though it was all too fast. When it's that fast, it takes away some of the sense of struggle and some of the sense of frustration in trying and failing to escape. It may seem more impressive physically but it ruins the effect. On the other hand there was a certain awkwardness as the match went on and they went into other things that actually increased the overall sense of struggle because it made everything seem less rote and polished spot-wise. It made it seem more like they were trying various things to get the advantage on one another and that they all work. In 2021, that sort of thing comes off as interesting and novel. Lots of potential. Bate was very very giving, far more so than he had to be. Good on him.

well Meiko/KLR was a real banger but I sure was hoping for a different result.

I thought KLR might retain with shenanigans but was hoping it wouldn't be clean. Seems strange to bring in Satomura only to have her lose so quickly. Really good match though.

Ilja/Gradwell was also great - Ilja basically doing the old Ken Shamrock gimmick works for me. He's probably my frontrunner to topple Walter atm.

Was skeptical at first but Noam Dar hosting a talk show could have potential, he had me chuckling a few times.

Really good show this week. Kenny Williams cheating to win is building a storyline, I am far more likely to be entertained by Noam Dar talking than wrestling, so the Supernova Sessions is the best use of him. Meiko-KLR was great.

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Mastiff being a happy, smilin' jobber kind of sucks. I know Tyler Bate is still booked as somewhat of an 'Ace', but it still makes me sad.

Yeah, as I've said before, Mastiff certainly deserves better.

It's odd that they did this weight loss/ body transformation angle, but he only had like a month real time to do it, so he just got a bit leaner. And he probably wasn't really 230-ish to start with anyway. He's not a tall guy.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

It's odd that they did this weight loss/ body transformation angle, but he only had like a month real time to do it, so he just got a bit leaner. And he probably wasn't really 230-ish to start with anyway. He's not a tall guy.

That's what I said. He was well on his way to under 205 when the angle started. Anyway, the ref in that match should be fired though, obviously his vision is better than the job requirements dictate. He saw Devlin's foot outside the ropes at the three count. They shouldn't be able to see that!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally started trying to catch up to NXT UK before Peacock makes everything screwy. mostly focusing on the omen for now along with some WALTER. Up to mid October and just caught WALTER/Wolfe vs. Dunne/Dragunov. That was so damn great and has me looking forward to the eventual match between WALTER & Dragunov.