DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

So this week's show was another Best Of*, only they were announcing matches for both Next Week and In Two Weeks, so either they haven't exhausted the BT Sport studio taping footage yet, or they've done another set of tapings on the sly. They have announced Ben Carter is debuting on Noam Dar's version of Piper's Pit, so he didn't get disintegrated right after he signed his contract after all.

*Although one of the matches featured Mark Coffey and Golfwang, which even with Biff Busick and Martin Stone as their opponents doesn't really seem like it could be the best of anything. Gallus? Useless more like.

It was alright, but I wouldn't call it a star-making performance. It was Ben Carter having a match that hit his usual (high) standards. But if there's a bunch of people who are hardcore WWE fans who'll watch anything WWE but nothing that isn't, to them, yeah. It would go from a "Who is this guy?" to "This guy is incredible!" in just a few minutes.

Shame it was against a guy who should have been fired and might end up being erased from history soon, really.

19 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Ben Carter looked better in his AEW matches. The weirder thing was Jinny's new Male Valet taking away from the #1 Contender's match. 

Joseph Connors? He's been on the NXT:UK roster from the beginning. I think he was even in the first title tournament. His gimmick for the last two years has been complaining that he's worthy on a spot on a Takeover but never gets one.

His run as WCPW World Champion was actually really good. He did the Gollum thing where he was in love with the belt, but the pressure of being champion was consuming him.

8 hours ago, Peck said:

There's a plethora of stupid names throughout the world of professional wrestling but A-KID just may be the worst of all of them. 

If he'd have just shown up in the UK as El Nino Anonimo (and kept his mask on) it would have been fine. Even Anonymous Kid would be a better name than A-Kid. But you know what's a better wrestler name than that? Carlos Ruiz. And that's his shoot name.

4 hours ago, killsteve said:

Has WALTER actually beaten anyone with the powerbomb in WWE? I think they have stuck to the Clutch and top rope splash as his finishers. Maybe Mastiff if I remember correctly?

Pretty sure the powerbomb has been his regular finish in WWE outside of his big title matches.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, RunningFromAmerica said:

So....I mean they bring out Sha Samuels as Ed Harvey only for him to declare he's Sha Samuels.....why? Who are they ribbing here?

We don't know when it was taped, so we don't know who it's a rib on... it's odd to do it in NXT:UK as well, because hardly anyone has had their name changed coming in. Dave Mastiff is Dave Mastiif. Rampage Brown is Rampage Brown. If AEW or Impact had someone come in with a new name and then immediately insisted on using their old one, we'd assume they were ribbing WWE. But WWE doing it, who knows? Maybe it's NXT:UK ribbing the parent company to see if they notice.

I was pretty shocked that Jinny didn't become the new champion here! I don't know who the hell else is there to challenge KLR right now?

I'll be even more shocked if Pretty Deadly won't become the no 1 contenders in the 4-Way, especially with Dennis barred from ringside for The Hunt! There needs to be a damn title change soon and Gallus are the least over champions NXT UK has!

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

So NXT:UK are probably regretting the Happy Birthday Sid Scala tweet now...

I'm surprised they didn't fire him or at least punish him back during SpeakingOut like they did with a few others. At least its leading to his accuser gaining donations for her legal defense.

Especially in terms of, if you are the WWE and you have the option of keeping Sid Scala, or firing him and hiring Mariah May for the Women's division, what does he really offer? Whereas she has STAR written all over her.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Especially in terms of, if you are the WWE and you have the option of keeping Sid Scala, or firing him and hiring Mariah May for the Women's division, what does he really offer? Whereas she has STAR written all over her.

Never seen May. I just know out of the NXT UK only a handful or so of people are legit stars who you don't want to let go of (2-3 of them are already in the main NXT now). Scala damn sure was not one of those people, and I actually liked him in the role he plays. He, Devlin, & Wolfgang all should have been punished at minimum like Coffey was.

8 hours ago, Eivion said:

Never seen May.

EPoMtjqWkAANikR.jpg

Extremely close to what Vince McMahon thinks the ideal female Wrestler looks like, no?