DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TV THOUGHTS

RIPPA

Poor Starz getting mauled by Rampage this time! Great powerbomb to finish!

Xia Brookside going blonde makes her a bit less like a My Little Pony and that makes me a bit sad. Good win though! Still, she was fooled by Samuels' great method acting. Well, I guess it was just acting.

The Hunt seemed really impressive, but Kenny and Amir gave them a hell of a challenge. I hope Eddie Dennis still gets in the ring as well, however.

I was looking forward to Mastiff-Seven and was not dissapointed. Was surprised at the result however! Really liked the saved by the bell bit. I wondered when that would happen? Nice touch that the next round didn't last a minute! Burning Hammer gets 3?!? What universe is this? Something's up. I don't know what it is, but something is going down in the finals. A-Kid vs Seven seems very random choice for it not to be some sort of angle!

Sam Gradwell seems a bit out there. Will Wolfe pound some sense back into him?

I really wonder who will step up to WALTER next? Ilja may get another shot, but I bet he needs some wins before that happens. Someone has to step up in the mean time. I've got nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some very strange editing choices on this weeks' show. In the tag match, we go to break when Carter and Howley are in the ring. We come back from break with both of them in the ring, but the commentary indicates that Starr just made the hot tag and was taking a massive beatdown for ages before that.

And then in the main event, Viper and Ray are having a PG hardcore match at ringside, it goes to break and comes back but they're still at ringside, and Nigel is talking about how Jinny interfered but Viper took her out. And the finish is Jinny interfering, which is supposed to be her revenge against Viper for earlier but because she was never out there to begin with it just looks random.

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Some very strange editing choices on this weeks' show. In the tag match, we go to break when Carter and Howley are in the ring. We come back from break with both of them in the ring, but the commentary indicates that Starr just made the hot tag and was taking a massive beatdown for ages before that.

And then in the main event, Viper and Ray are having a PG hardcore match at ringside, it goes to break and comes back but they're still at ringside, and Nigel is talking about how Jinny interfered but Viper took her out. And the finish is Jinny interfering, which is supposed to be her revenge against Viper for earlier but because she was never out there to begin with it just looks random.

Network version you see Jinny trying to use a chair on Piper around ringside before PIper takes her out & throws her over the barricade. 

• Thanks 1

I finally watched WALTER/Dragunov since I reupped the Network for a month, and that also might be the most head drops I've seen in a WWE match in a long time. 

The finish was well done too because even I at that point went "please no more, I think he's had enough."

Amir Jordan vs Jordan Devlin. They're both called Jordan, but one is a mere Jordan, whilst the other is a Jordan with a Devlin. So obviously he'd be more aggressive. He went after Amir so hard, you'd think they were dating.

A-Kid vs Water Bill was another victim of the BT Sport edit. We got the first three rounds, in which El Nino Anonimo (he never should have translated his name. El Nino Anonimo sounds cool, but now he's just A Kid. And not in the fun John Silver sense) showed he was a capable mat wrestler, and Moondog Spot Jr did some chops. But then there were some adverts, and suddenly it was round six and Billy Two Rivers was using his Fire Pro moveset to get nearfalls. I mean seriously, Snap Dragon Suplex, Emerald Frosion, Burning Hammer, Rainmaker and a Western Lariat? Completely took me out of it. Felt like Severn really hated the WWE Tribute era of Britwres because it was preventing him from starting the Puroresu Tribute era he wanted to work in.

And then the fact that it was a face vs face match meant that the "Babyfaces must never lose by clean submission" rule could be waived apparently. It... wasn't the best match of the tournament.

Edited by AxB

Finally caught up with the last few months of NXT UK since it started back up. Kay Lee Ray remains the absolute best. I never wanna see her lose. Surprised but glad she kept the title throughout the series with Niven.. first match was great, falls count anywhere match an awesome brawl. Loved the State of the Union with the whole women's roster brawling in between those two matches. PWI really shortchanged KLR in the Womens 100 at #18. Jinny is also amazing, enjoyed her matches over the last few months as well, great heel. I loved the closing shot from the falls count anywhere with KLR standing as still champ and Jinny standing tall from above. I remember earlier in the year wanting to see more KLR/Jinny teaming up, so I do hope we see more of that rather than Jinny challenging against KLR for now. I don't watch much wwe anymore but this division will keep me invested in UK at least.

Pretty Deadly is my favorite team in WWE. Great heels and great theme music. Also really digging the new NXT UK intro theme. 

WALTER/Dragunov was of course epic. Loved Dragunov's rise to challenging for the title but never thought he'd win the title. I'm good with WALTER keeping it for years too. If not Dragunov, I don't know of anyone else I'd care to see overcome WALTER. 

Also, if Meiko Satomura is joining in any capacity, that will be the best thing. All of her MYC matches were excellent, her and KLR would be incredible.

Edited by DreamBroken

Two nice heavyweight matches on this week, with Rampage vs Huxley and Coffey vs Wolfe! The successful German Suplex by Wolfe was awesome and very a propos.

I do like Devlin's logic about having to actively defend the cruiserweight title in order to give creedence to his claims of being the rightful champion. I mean, he did sit on the title for months on end, but it's not like that was his fault.

It would be kinda interesting to see Eddie Dennis and Damien Priest in the same ring, just to see how their size actually measures up to one another. Just a random observation.

You can see Andrews and Webster know The Hunt really well, because the flow of the match seemed very effortless, like second nature to all four of them.

Nice to see Tyler Bate back. The round stuff isn't really my cup of tea but I appreciate trying something different. 

Really made me sad though to see how Dunne, Bate, and to an extent, Seven have kind of been wasted these last few years though. BSS was one of my favorite acts in wrestling. The goofy six mans were a lot of fun.  And yeah, part of it is the pandemic, but a lot of is it just WWE fridging these guys or hiding them on sub brands. 

14 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Nice to see Tyler Bate back. The round stuff isn't really my cup of tea but I appreciate trying something different. 

Really made me sad though to see how Dunne, Bate, and to an extent, Seven have kind of been wasted these last few years though. BSS was one of my favorite acts in wrestling. The goofy six mans were a lot of fun.  And yeah, part of it is the pandemic, but a lot of is it just WWE fridging these guys or hiding them on sub brands. 

I had no exposure to any of them prior to the first UK title tournament. Then seeing then every now and again on NXT and later NXT UK, was always special and a highlight. I kinda don't want them to get exposed to any of the main brands, since they'll just get wasted there. I love that Dunne gets to be on NXT again and mix it up with the current roster. Moustache Mountain had a bunch of great matches on NXT and NXT UK, I'm just glad I got to see any of that, period. I understand that this is completely different, if you were familiar with them before, during their time in the UK indies.

• Like 2

British Strong Style and Will, at least to what I saw, were probably the biggest British-born stars to build the scene. Tyler is somehow still only 23 so he has a long time but after the Dunne match at Takeover and the great tags, you wish he hadn't had the brakes put on. 

At one point, both Dunne and Bate were incredibly over and I just would hate to say in five years "wonder when WWE gonna get around to pushing these guys." Bate, Dunne and Toni Storm and Ripley are all ready to be headline stars yet keep being put on the stop/start thing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hagan said:

British Strong Style and Will, at least to what I saw, were probably the biggest British-born stars to build the scene. Tyler is somehow still only 23 so he has a long time but after the Dunne match at Takeover and the great tags, you wish he hadn't had the brakes put on. 

At one point, both Dunne and Bate were incredibly over and I just would hate to say in five years "wonder when WWE gonna get around to pushing these guys." Bate, Dunne and Toni Storm and Ripley are all ready to be headline stars yet keep being put on the stop/start thing. 

Yeah, after the matches Tyler had with WALTER and Dijakovic he showed that he could believably compete with tall heavyweights and do his stuff to them. A hero like that would be amazing find on the main roster (they have Gable and had Neville), but they don't seem to want to use a guy like that! I can't understand why, but they just refuse to do it. Small, but super-strong guy who can throw super-heavyweights around is MONEY, how could it not be?

Ok, so the whole NXT UK brand is behind Devlin still being the true Cruiserweight champion, then? Everybody, from ring announcer, ref and commentators seem to back him up on this one. So, it's not like HBK showing up with his Intercontinental title back in late '93.

Also, I didn't guess that they would defend the Heritage Cup, but I'm fine with that. Big win for A-Kid.

Isla Dawn can only get a win if it's a part of someone else's feud. Well, I don't know if that is a thing, but she hasn't exactly been on fire this year. I wonder if she'll be lured by the dark side?

Man, could The Hunt win the tag titles next week? I wouldn't be surprised, since Gallus has had them for too long considering how not over they are.

Saxon Huxley gets a story. Hey, they got Joseph Connors slightly over after pushing him for half a year, so this may turn alright for him!

Brookside needs better things than Samuels, but this will have to do, since she's nowhere near title contention yet. That Valkyrie woman will get a shot before she does, Jinny too, obviously.

No one is stepping up to face Walter. I mean, I don't blame them, but there should be more of an effort towards that!

Supernova strirrs shit up, who would have guessed?

After the Heritage Cup tournament and now A Kid vs Bate, I'm prepared to say that WWE NXT-UK is at it's absolute best when it's as UK as possible, and as un-WWE as possible.

Also, A-Kid is a rubbish name. He should have stuck with El Nino Anonimo, that sounds way better.

If Tyler Bate went to America and got on TV, Vince would send him back to the PC until he learned to be taller. Although it should be noted that he's the exact same height as John Silver. And what a singles match that would be.

• Like 1

Really surprised at the result of the main event this week.

What will become of both Dragunov and Seven after their heartbreaking losses?

We know what the guys who beat them will be doing, though!

Isla Dawn's winning streak snapped at one, quelle supris!

Starz gets a win...in a handicap match. Huxley vs Mastiff is the Brody vs Leon White remake we always knew we didn't want, but here we are!

Rampage looks like a good challenge for Walter.

Jinny vs Piper Niven will be interesting, but it will almost has to be Jinny. Niven's been contending for a year now! Sure, the 8 months were during lockdown, but we all have made sacrifices during that time. Time for Jinny to step up.

Edited by Shartnado
Typos

Aside from having to say "sports entertainment" instead of wrestling and the high production value, it's amazing that NXT UK is a WWE product. It's so not like anything else they do which is why it's so good.

The tag title match main event is proof tag wrestling can be good in the WWE. It just has to not have Vince involved since he doesn't care for it. I was honestly shocked Gallus retained.

I missed the finals of the cup so I'll have to go back and watch it. I was shocked A Kid (that really is a dumb name) won. I figured they were playing up the whole "this is Trent's one last shot at glory" angle. Walter is gonna murder A Kid.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

Aside from having to say "sports entertainment" instead of wrestling and the high production value, it's amazing that NXT UK is a WWE product. It's so not like anything else they do which is why it's so good.

The tag title match main event is proof tag wrestling can be good in the WWE. It just has to not have Vince involved since he doesn't care for it. I was honestly shocked Gallus retained.

I missed the finals of the cup so I'll have to go back and watch it. I was shocked A Kid (that really is a dumb name) won. I figured they were playing up the whole "this is Trent's one last shot at glory" angle. Walter is gonna murder A Kid.

I wonder if this leads to Seven coming back and turning out of frustration? Also, I was shocked too, that The Hunt didn't win the titles here. Makes me wonder if they are looking to put the titles on Pretty Deadly, instead?

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 3:13 AM, AxB said:

Also, A-Kid is a rubbish name. He should have stuck with El Nino Anonimo, that sounds way better.

7 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

NXT-UK is the least WWE-ish of all the WWE shows, yes. But it's still a lot more WWE-ish than it is Britwres-ish a lot of the time. And the further it gets from your Sports Entertainment, the closer it gets to what Britwres was before H killed it, the better it is.

But even on this show, the angles and the run-ins, that's very Sports Ents, isn't it?

Also, Saxon Huxley, there's only one wrestler in history who's ever made brown gear look good, and that's Hayabusa. Every other wrestler who's worn brown gear looks shit.

3 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

The Hunt should have won the Titles because Gallus never should have been signed by WWE in the first place. 

FTFY.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:10 PM, Hail Sabin said:

The Hunt should have won the Titles because Gallus never should have won them in the first place. 

I don't hate he Gallus boys however it's seriously time to move on and even if it's just transitional, The Hunt would have been perfect for that.

Edited by Copperhead

They're both really tiny guys, though. Primate (despite being more jacked up) is considerably lighter than AEW's rival Kratos cosplay wrestler, because he's so short. And Hitchman seems to have turned into a little old man despite being, like, 29 years old or something. He dropped a tiny bit of muscle mass in lockdown and it's really accentuated what a small guy he really is.

Trent Seven looks like Moondog Spot. I hadn't mentioned that for a while, so I thought I'd bring it back up. Someone might have forgotten or something.

So this week's show was back to the 'Andy Shepard in his flat introduces old footage' lockdown format. So was that because it's Chrimbo, or have they actually exhausted the BT Sport studio tapings footage? Because if they have, it's going to be a while before they can film any more new stuff, what with London in Tier 4 and everything.

Also the match selection for a "Best of" was Broserweights vs Andrews/Webster and Walter vs boring and useless Joe Coffey. Unfortunate.