DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

I kinda don't believe I actually watched all the SAW movies(except for Jigsaw) but I positive I did. I can't remember which was which. I think someone fell in a pit of AIDS needles in a scene written by junior high kids.

Was there one that in the end it was actually going simultaneously with an earlier one and they came together? That was kinda neat. That's all I got.

The needle pit was definitely 2. I don't think they were specifically AIDS needles, just dirty used needles.

I do know somebody on set fucked up and dropped a bag of syringes into the pit before the actual needle parts were removed and replaced with the not sharp prop versions, so some poor PAs had to dig out every single one until they found all 20 or however many dangerous ones before they could, you know, throw Shawnee in the pit.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The needle pit was definitely 2. I don't think they were specifically AIDS needles, just dirty used needles.

I do know somebody on set fucked up and dropped a bag of syringes into the pit before the actually needle parts were removed and replaced with the not sharp prop versions, so some poor PAs had to dig out every single one until they found all 20 or however many dangerous ones before they could, you know, throw Shawnee in the pit.

That is scarier than all the movies combined. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I remember the needle pit scene in particular freaking me out, but I have white coat syndrome anyway and hate anything associated with doctors and dentists.

Brighrburn starts on Thursday and Ma premiers next weekend.

With the Child's Play reboot coming up and Midsommar's July 4th weekend premier, there is a metric fuck ton of horror / suspense I need to checkout over and above the Summer Blockbusters.

Someone has gone to the archives because Galaxy of Terror is in the Cinemax rotation and should also be available on MAX GO.

Yes, it is just as campy and vile and awesome as your chlldhood remember it being.

If you planned on getting your Barbara Steele fix over the Memorial Day weekend, you're in luck because someone was good enough to post:

• Like 1

The needle pit is what completely shut me off from Saw movies, actually. I can see something stuck in someone's eye (actually just did) but something like that just feels like overkill. 

Anyway, just watched Next of Kin and it was AWESOME. Super giallo done the right way, amazing cinematography, acting, editing, score, the whole deal. How this film hasn't been revered as a classic for years now is beyond me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Anyway, just watched Next of Kin and it was AWESOME. Super giallo done the right way, amazing cinematography, acting, editing, score, the whole deal. How this film hasn't been revered as a classic for years now is beyond me. 

51liXDtIbfL._SY445_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I actually watched it for the first time in years maybe a year or so back, and I was laughing so hard at that. The last time I saw it was before I knew who Neeson was.

Brightburn was better than I expected it would be.

I'll be taking my mom to go see Ma sometime during the week.  Now you know where I got the horror movie watching gene from.

My continuing adventures in Xfinity Streampix continues.  

This time I watched The Bay; Barry Levinson's 2012 horror mockumentary produced by Blumhouse.

The_Bay_(film).jpg

It's an eco-horror joint in a similar vein to The Happening or Harbinger but unlike those movies, it travels the same vein as the Piranha films and does us the favor of entertaining us with a little blood and gore rather than beating us over the head with shitloads of scientific pontification and navel gazing.

I recommend it without reservation if you are a fan of found footage horror movies like [REC] and Paranormal Activity.

Of note to some dudes, Kether Donahoe from Pitch Perfect and You're The Worst is the main star of the movie.

kether_donohue_thebay_donna_thompson.jpg

I have to say that I prefer her with this short hairdo and her character (who also serves as narrator) is also sporting a pair of the tightest brown paints I have ever seen on a woman.

Just sayin'.

Edited by J.T.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I worked in Atlanta fir a little while last year and a black lady kept telling me I looked like someone but she couldn’t place it. One  day she saw me in the hall when she was with another lady  and said she figured it out. I looked like Liam Neeson in Next of Kin. 

I don’t know if it was complimentary or not but of all the Liam Neeson roles the Appalachian redneck one is probably not the one I would have preferred her say  

She knew alot about movies though and was adamant about it. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

I guess it’s better than that or if she had  said the post-burn Darkman. 

Ma is tracking around 60-ish percent on RT.

Not great, but not horrible for a horror / psychological thriller movie.

My mom wasn't feeling her best this week, so we decided to wait until sometime next week to check it out.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm guessing Octavia Spencer kills it, but the film itself doesn't live up to her performance.

Exactly THIS. Movie is a mess but Octavia Spencer goes ALL IN on it. I would recommend it. 

• Like 1