DVDVR Message Board

2019 HORROR MOVIE THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

RT ratings of noteworthy films relevant to this thread:

Greta:                                71% Fresh

The Hole In The Ground:  89% Fresh

Gaspar Noe's Ciimax:       87% Fresh~??

I am suddenly intrigued by the flood of positive ratings for Climax.  Did Noe manage to make a movie that isn't totally self indulgent or consumed with the desperate need to offend and can be enjoyed by relatively normal people?

More likely he came up with a scenario whereby his usual shock for shock's sake, exhibitionistic exercises in offensiveness actually make narrative sense in the storyline. As opposed to the usual "Jacky Chan presents Stunt-o-Rama (featuring a plot and characters)" approach you get from these arthouse horror pseuds.

I actually like Irreversible. Watched it twice.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:02 AM, J.T. said:

Gaspar Noe's Ciimax:       87% Fresh~??

I am suddenly intrigued by the flood of positive ratings for Climax.  Did Noe manage to make a movie that isn't totally self indulgent or consumed with the desperate need to offend and can be enjoyed by relatively normal people?

Saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, did not enjoy.  Nothing new at all outside of the dance choreography.  Like, literally the moment that he introduces characters that are brother and sister, you know what's going to be happening with them.

There is no storyline to speak of btw.

• Like 1

People who like Ballet and Modern Dance can't get journalist work as dance reviewers, because there's no demand. So they review movies instead, and give bonus stars to movies with/about dancing. Except Street Dance movies because they're frightfully common.

37 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Like, literally the moment that he introduces characters that are brother and sister, you know what's going to be happening with them.

Ick...

37 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There is no storyline to speak of btw.

Surprising since the gimmick of Irreversible is that Is supposed to be that it is a well told story shown in backwards chronological order.

Or not surprising since Enter The Void was a bunch of random life events shown through a camera lens that was apparently soaked in a solution of water and LSD.

I can't bring myself to sit through Irreversible, but I saw Enter The Void on IFC Channel a while back when they actually showed indie movies and I still have no idea what I had just seen.

Saw Happy Death Day the other month and followed with 2U this week. Loooooved the former, just a really great film for reasons that have been discussed ad nauseam here. 2U was not what I expected but still a great sequel idea. Could have used more horror but the character stuff was great and finding a way to put a new twist in things ruled. 

I did HATE that it came down to

Spoiler

Boyfriend vs. Mom. Especially since they landed a much better reason to go back home with the fact that this would be her vulturing a life. She didn't remember the times with that mom or that world. It was nice of her to get closure but it wasn't her mom and pretending otherwise just devalued her actual mom's life and death.

But no, it's about how much she loves a boy. Ugh.

Full credit for the trailer being a complete fake out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Eh, I was more indifferent than angry about the first one (and only saw the trailer anyway). If I got mad about ever crappy horror film that got a sequel...

Aww... that's the whole point because you have complained about other movies getting sequels just because they made a lot of money

(There was definitely one in the last 18 months that you were really opposed to. God Dammit - don't make me search your old posts. This is gonna bother me because I can't remember the movie. Fuck....)

Its possible it was Happy Death Day. (Slight chance it was also A Quiet Place but I don't remember your feelings on that)

I definitely remember the Cube ripoff line but who knew that Escape Room would make like 5 trillion dollars

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has been cast as the lead in Jordan Peele's Candyman remake

Aka the actor who played Black Manta in Aquaman.

He's also got an unspecified role in Us, so he's worked with Peele before.

Lakeith Stanfield (Get Out) has also been cast and both actors' roles are unspecified, so it isn't known who will play the titular Candyman.

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II being cast as the "lead" doesn't really tell us much. since the story has rumored to have been rewritten with a male protagonist rather than the female protagonist from the movie and the Clive Barker novella the movie is based on (The Forbidden from Books Of Blood Volume 5 / In the Flesh).

Either man could be playing Candyman, but my money would be on Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Midsommar

Ari Aster's next movie

It also might be the brightest horror movie I have ever seen

Yep.  I mentioned that earlier in the thread but there was no trailer at the time.

Looks like good stuff.  Hereditary was an excellent if slightly flawed film, so I am expecting good things from Ari's second effort.

Edited by J.T.

7 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Finally watched Hereditary the other night. Very interesting film, but it had a few plot holes that left me scratching my head. Toni Collette was fucking outstanding, though.

I think our musings about the plot for Hereditary are a couple pages back and may help fill in the gaps for you.

And yeah.  I totally believe that Toni Collette should've gotten an Oscar nom for that role.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2