DVDVR Message Board

2019 Game Deals, Subscriptions Etc.

This month's Twitch Prime games include Republique, Orwell Seasons 1-2, Bomber Crew, Hyper Light Drifter and a Devolver multipack: both Hotline Miami games, Strafe, Broforce, and the very recent Swords of Ditto and The Messenger, which is insanely good and just came out in late August.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Orwell was awesome, even if the replay value isn't that great, its a real good concept.  Broforce was amazing.

Broforce is a really good puzzle game pretending to be an action game.  But like Hotline Miami it's been in multiple Humble bundles, on PS+ and I think Games With Gold too, so it's not nearly as exciting a gimme as Swords of Ditto or Messenger IMO.

Humble Monthly's full games list for January just dropped: on top of the already-known Just Cause 3 XXL and Project CARS 2, we got QUBE 2, observer_, Sundered, Regions of Ruin, Darkside Detective and Wizard of Legend.  Not a super exciting list tbh but I'm sure I'll get some fun out of it.

Headliners for January are Tom Clancy's The Division and Yakuza 0 (which is, of course, worth $12 by itself if you don't have it already on one system or another).

11 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

qube was excellently spooky space horror portal times, so the sequel is probably Also Good!

I loved QUBE (well, the director's cut), my main complaint is that it was already both on Twitch Prime and in a previous non-mystery Humble Bundle. I need to get round to playing it, I'm sure I'll like it when I do, it's just not exciting as a reveal since i own it twice.

• 4 weeks later...

Bloodstained actually looks like a lot of fun.

February 2019 Games With Gold

Xbox One

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Feb. 1-28)
Super Bomberman R (Feb. 1-Mar. 15)
WRC 6 FIA World Rally Championship (Jan. 16-Feb. 15)

Xbox 360
Assassin's Creed Rogue (Feb. 1-15)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (Feb. 16-28)

Here is the first review I saw for Bloodstained

Here’s something I never thought I’d say: Thank god for Kickstarter stretch goals. At some point during the crowdfunding campaign for Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night, Koji Igarashi’s much-hyped return to the form he so thoroughly perfected with Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night and its Game Boy Advance successors, the team offered to make a “mini-game” prequel if contributions crossed a certain threshold. It’s a good thing that goal was shattered, because the promised precursor, which recently materialized as Bloodstained: Curse Of The Moon, is a brilliant throwback to Castlevania of a different sort: the moody, trollishly difficult 8-bit adventures of the series’ NES era.

For Honor and Hitman Season 1 is neat for PS4, and I've wanted to play Hitman.  Divekick and MGS4 is pretty bleh for the last month of PS3 ever, especially since I already have MGS4.

Since I am now dipping my toes in my PS4 waters - I would be bitter about just getting Hitman for Christmas but I don't have PS Plus yet so its okay

For Honor was a Game with Gold a little while back so I am guessing they decided to just let everyone in and hope to make their money via microtransactions and DLC

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

For Honor got given away for free on Uplay last year too, so it seems to have made the rounds. Apparently it's a much better game now than when it launched, but I've never really dug into it.

Ubisoft has a recently great track record of putting in work on games long past release and in spite of initial good or bad press. The Division, R6: Siege, Wildlands, and For Honor have all seemed to benefit.

Unless I have a very, very good reason for it, I refuse to buy PC games for more than $5.00. Therefore, with the new steam sale, I'll finally get Guacamelee. I will not get Dead Cells for $20.00. This has been your metroidvania update.

I got For Honor on the PC when it was $5 or less on Steam. I figured why not.

That is a weird, weird, weird, weird game. I'll give the developers credit for coming up with a fighting system that I've never seen before and, for the most part, actually works. Technically, it's great and what I understand is that the game was shit when it first came out so they clearly put a lot of work into this post release.

Ultimately, I just couldn't get into it, but that's more on me and less on the game itself. I think it's definitely worth trying out.

I think the game launched without proper servers so you had peer-to-peer multiplayer where one player always had a big ping advantage and it was complete shit? A lot of people hated it at launch then about a year ago the consensus turned that it had been fixed and was actually good.

• Like 1