DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Aaaaaaaanyway I just watched the main event to Kenta Kobashi's Fortune Dream 6 show: Jake Lee, Kohei Sato & Shuji Ishikawa vs. Taishi Takizawa, Yuji Hino & Zeus. Thoughts:

• I will never get tired of Ishikawa vs Zeus
  • Even if this wasn't a good match, it would be worth seeking out to see Go and Kenta on commentary react to Hino chopping Sato's chest
  • This makes me very sad that Hino didn't end up in AJ, as he has great chemistry with Zeus and paired up very well against both Ishikawa and Lee
  • Lee is at his most interesting when he's being kind of a dick, but there wasn't a lot of opportunity for that, here
  • I've seen Taishi Takizawa in two really good matches lately: this one, and his tag with Nomura against Kamitani and Jake Lee in AJ. That tag was even better than this one. Admittedly, he's probably the weakest link in both matches, but I'd be cool with him becoming an AJ regular and mixing it up more often with some heavy hitters (2AW or whatever it's called does not exactly have a ton of heavyweights, and Mashimo is currently injured)
  • Anyway, just six guys chopping the hell out of each other and doing big boi stuff. Worth a watch.

• Like 2

Watching a grab bag of AJPW stuff.

From the 5/21 AJ show:

Hikaru Sato & Atsushi Aoki vs Koji Iwamoto & Keichii Sato

• If you don't know Keichii Sato, he was trained by Aoki and debuted three years ago in All Japan. He debuted in orange with Kenta Kobashi's blessing, and was a founding member of Nextream with Miyahara and Jake Lee
    • Then he left AJ for "family reasons" and freelanced
    • They brought him back last year and he became a founding member of Sweeper with Lee, Iwamoto, Ryuji Sai and Dylan James
    • Then they stopped booking him againH
    • He's currently freelancing, and he's the tag team champion of A-Team with Daisuke Ikeda
    • Like all of Aoki's trainees, he's quite good, but what a flake!
  • The two teams are squaring off in advance of the junior tag league, AJPW's least popular tournament.
  • And it's over quickly, with Sato (Keichii) tapping to Sato (Hikaru).

Hideyoshi Kamitani & Jake Lee vs Naoya Nomura & Taishi Takizawa

• Kamitani is a tall BJ guy in black speedos. Takizawa is a tall 2AW guy dressed like a genie or something.
  • Young guys unite to clobber each other!
  • This is good. Goes to a 30 minute draw, and involves everyone stiffing each other.

From the 5/25 Toryumon Mexico Dragonmania Show:

Best Two Out Of Three Falls: Caristico, Kento Miyahara & Ultimo Dragon vs Diamante, Migra I & Migra II

• I do not watch lucha so this is all new to me
  • Migra I & II are two bald muscle dudes who look like low-level street thugs from a pre-WWII film.
  • Diamante is in gold lucha duds but also wears a t-shirt. He, along with the Migras, are the baddies.
  • There is also some fat old guy who I guess is their manager
  • The place is LOUD. Like it's the loudest show I've seen. People keep blowing horns. The camera clearly shows that it isn't packed, either.
  • I have never seen Caristico, but I see that he was in the WWE for a while. How'd that go?
  • First round is almost entirely posing. Kento is a natural at this. I don't think he does a move the entire round--he just flexes a lot. He is clearly having a ball.
  • Caristico gets the first fall with an armbar or shoulder hold or something I almost completely miss.
  • The place is going nuts. So many horns. Enough with the horns.
  • Round two and Caristico and Kento just vanish, and it's Migra I or II, I dunno, just tormenting Ultimo and ripping his silver mask a lot.
  • Like, where are the other guys? They have abandoned Ultimo.
  • Enough with the horns!
  • Guys, Ultimo is 52. And didn't he retire due to an injury? Guy looks great and is taking some major bumps.
  • Migras take the second fall with a weak-looking lariat. They have almost completely removed Ultimo's mask.
  • Caristico starts doing high spots to show people what a stud he is.
  • Ultimo flees to the back, then returns moments later with a red and green mask! Horn guy loves it!
  • A ref bump denies Ultimo the pin he so richly deserved. Fat guy runs to the back. He returns with ... Sam Adonis in a ref shirt! He's waving an American flag with a Trump face! Boo them! Boo them!!
  • Then Adonis turns face (!) and saves Ultimo!! They nut one of the Migras with the flag and then Ultimo gets the pin.
  • This .... kinda sucked. But maybe I needed more context.

• Like 1

Weird list. Happy to see KAI back; the DG guys are cool; maybe SUGI appearing means we get some Z1 guys showing up? I can hope.

But the real story here is Gamshara Pro, which I’ve never heard of.

https://japanworldorder.fandom.com/wiki/Gamshara_Pro_Wrestling

They have such wrestlers as Iron Student, Power Stroke, and Punches!! Maybe my favourite wrestling company I’ve never heard of.

edited to add: lol, their tag titles are called the Promiscuous Tag Team Championship!

Edited by Control
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If that's true--big if!--it's obviously huge news. No one has got the broad strokes of big stories more right more often. Often enough smaller things fell by the wayside, and I get why that bothered the detractors. But there's no denying the growth made, and it would be silly to pretend he wasn't at least partly responsible.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 1

Some more AJ viewing.

From the 5/27 show:

Yoshitatsu vs Tajiri

• This is as bad as you'd expect
  • Tajiri really can't do anything anymore. He's slow as shit, doesn't do his springboard elbow or the tree of woe spot. He actually busted out the tarantula (or whatever), which was surprising. Good for a couple of kicks a match.
  • Yoshitatsu is regularly in good matches. This wasn't one of them.
  • Two most notable spots:
    • someone starts a "Yo-shi-tat-su!" chant, and Tajiri sends Gianni Valetta into the audience to shut them up.
    • Tatsu trips going for a spin kick off the top rope and whiffs the move altogether. Tajiri still sells, and everyone in the audience looks really embarrassed.
  • Ugh. I actually had some hopes for the Yoshitatsu/Kento TC match, but they've been quashed.

From the 6/2 show:

Sekimoto and Akiyama vs Jiro Kuroshio and Masakatsu Funaki

• Sekimoto and Akiyama are together because they teamed in the tag league last year and they are both grumpy. Funaki and Jiro are together because they're both handsome
  • Last time I saw Funaki he was really out of it. He was better this time. I think Sekimoto and Akiyama gave him some stiff shots to let them know they're not impressed, and he got into it more.
  • Funaki is 50 and debuted as a wrestler like 34 years ago. It's wild.
  • I was going to praise Jiro for his performance here, but then he badly botched a move on Sekimoto. Still, not a bad guy to have around, since they fans are into him. He may be light, but he's as tall as the rest of these guys, so you could see him wrestling heavyweights no problem.
  • Akiyama and Sekimoto did that strong BJ spot where they double-up the german suplexes, but this time Akiyama did an exploder. It was nifty.
  • I'm hopeful that Sekimoto will challenge Miyahara this year, actually.

Doering and James vs Violent Giants

• Doering is great, but had a lackluster CC. Turns out he had an injured shoulder. So, it was weird when The Bomber challenged for the titles.
  • Doering wasn't on some shows before this, and he's not booked again next tour, I don't think, so I'd say he's still working through it.
  • Which means that this was basically Suwama and Ishikawa vs James. Dude was in the ring like 90% of the match.
  • And everyone was sweating buckets. James said on Twitter that it was like 22 Celsius in there (idk how you Luddites in the US measure temperature).
  • So this was fine but nothing worth going out of your way for.
  • Thanks 1

Don’t know what the story is on DBS leaving, but I remember an interview from last year where he seemed really frustrated that he wasn’t getting more singles opportunities there.

KES has definitely run its course, though, so it was time to do something else with those guys or move on, regardless.

Edited by EVA

Found this interesting tweet while browsing twitter:

I think that "Goto should be booked strong" crowd is a bit out of touch with reality, but thats not really the point. The idea of Goto/KENTA/Dragon Lee forming a faction with Shibata standing in their corner sounds like a really great idea, at least to me. Obviously main guy would be KENTA, not Goto. And I don't agree that it should be only 3 guys. Shibata has been training 3 young lions and they look great from what I have seen of them. So they could easily make a faction of 6 guys and be a real force.

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Archibald said:

Found this interesting tweet while browsing twitter:

I think that "Goto should be booked strong" crowd is a bit out of touch with reality, but thats not really the point. The idea of Goto/KENTA/Dragon Lee forming a faction with Shibata standing in their corner sounds like a really great idea, at least to me. Obviously main guy would be KENTA, not Goto. And I don't agree that it should be only 3 guys. Shibata has been training 3 young lions and they look great from what I have seen of them. So they could easily make a faction of 6 guys and be a real force.

Before he left New Japan, Ayato Yoshida, would’ve been the right guy to be a third man of a potential Takeover.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 hours ago, Archibald said:

The idea of Goto/KENTA/Dragon Lee forming a faction with Shibata standing in their corner sounds like a really great idea, at least to me. Obviously main guy would be KENTA, not Goto. 

In this purely theoretical situation I would definitely start out with Goto as the main guy as there is a huge question mark regarding exactly what KENTA has left in him. Letting him be a secondary player let's him ease back into things and if he is as reduced as a lot of evidence suggests he is it's probably the best that a big spotlight isn't shone on him immediately. And if returning to Japan works as a fountain of youth it wouldn't be much trouble to reposition him as the main guy over several months.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, Control said:

Weird list. Happy to see KAI back; the DG guys are cool; maybe SUGI appearing means we get some Z1 guys showing up? I can hope.

But the real story here is Gamshara Pro, which I’ve never heard of.

https://japanworldorder.fandom.com/wiki/Gamshara_Pro_Wrestling

They have such wrestlers as Iron Student, Power Stroke, and Punches!! Maybe my favourite wrestling company I’ve never heard of.

edited to add: lol, their tag titles are called the Promiscuous Tag Team Championship!

Gamushara is based in Kitakyushu/Moji, the top part of Kyushu Island, so they are relatively close to where I am. They also have their own izakaya that I haven't been to yet. I've been to their shows a few times and you'd see them at Hakata Star Lane shows because I think they were supplying or at least setting up the ring for the bigger groups.

They have several different stables with their own nWo style shirts, Loss of Control the Reckless is an Los Ingobernables knock-off and Michiko Omukai, who lives in Yamaguchi will drop by although not to wrestle.

There are masked comedy wrestlers and knock-off lucha guys and they bring in All Mighty Inoue who I can only describe as a 100 yen store Tenryu.

In general, it's a good time.

Edited by lostinube
  • Like 1