DVDVR Message Board

Puroresu General Discussion for 2019

Lawful Metal

Nagai started out as a RINGS dude, too, didn't he?  So he was never one of "theirs", and I'm struggling to immediately think of a guy from an outside promotion who was given a real shot at being a cog.  Minoru Tanaka springs to mind for the NJ Junior ranks, but that was probably based more on his looks than his work (or at least as much).  Terrifying to think WWE is somehow ahead of the curve on that, having pushed the likes of Danielson & Styles over the same time frame.

But mostly I'm just wondering where I'm supposed to send whiskey to @John E. Dynamite, or whether I really should contribute to someone else's alcoholism/wrestling habit.  Or, for that matter, the production of whiskey, because holy shit snacks, I hate whiskey.

Well, that might work, except I'd buy myself the vodka first.

Now that I think about it, that sounds like a potentially interesting website.  Boozy Thoughts, where everyone's got their drink of choice and holds forth on...whatever topic.  The only rule is you get loaded.  I could definitely be the Gin guy.

(Oh, who the fuck am I kidding? I'd be the boxed wine guy)

That first time they had him as Sting, in the dark and in the rain, it was a fucking brilliant angle.

That they then beat into the ground for like three years. Despite the fact that, when he was in the arena and properly lit, Jeff didn't even look THAT much like Sting. A resemblance, sure, but the announcers kept falling for it.

Hell, I think at one point they fell for NASH in face paint.

• Like 2

With the talk last month about how Gedo books the main stories and major event main events two years in advance, and the talk this last week or two about Jay White just being sorta slotted into Omega's role this year, I got to wondering something:

Was AJ suppressed to win the G1 in 2016? I mean, I always assumed Kenny wouldn't have been elevated as quickly as he was if AJ hadn't left, but this is the first time it crossed my mind that maybe he literally got AJ's spot.

It’s hard to say exactly, because you have to think New Japan never figured Styles for a long-term answer, so they certainly had Omega positioned to take the mantle. I think that’s the primary lesson here: it’s not that there’s one plan, so much as an ideal plan with lots of viable contingencies.

That said, I feel like most people at the time thought Kenny mostly got AJ’s push. Probably some things were different, but the main thrust—G1 to the Dome—was similar. Kenny has been really vague when asked about this in interviews though, so it’s hard to say. My guess is everyone thought for a while that Styles was going to go, so there wasn’t exactly a rush replacement, so much as a broad template that either could fit in. 

Speaking of Kenny: DDT has a big show in Sumo Hall Sunday, and twitter, noting that Kenny is in Tokyo for EVO, is working itself into a collective shoot. Unless they’re all just right. I’m not sure what these words mean all together, honestly. I do know Kenny setting up a match at DDT’s Mania weekend show would be big news, and something for him to do between now and Double or Nothing. It would also be one way to upstage New Japan running MSG, for better or worse. (I don’t think this is happening, but now that I’ve mentioned it I can pretend to be right either way.)

They've talked extensively about wanting to work with everyone. They being the Elite that is. The best thing they could do now is work with DDT and prosper as much as possible and if njpw is interested they can join in too. But I feel like it will be very difficult to break down those traditional barriers. Interesting times. If they really want njpw to be interested too they need to give them a reason it would seem. 

EVO is in Fukuoka this year and if Kenny is covering all three days for ESPN I don't think he's going to make it to the DDT show. It's not impossible but it would be difficult. Were the DDT show in the evening, it would sound more plausible.

The DDT show is streaming live from 1:00 JST today and if you become an official member you can watch it for free. You don't have to purchase a membership, just join at the bronze level.

Why couldn't Baba have died on whatever day of the week that would make it a Friday or Saturday 20 years later?

Wait, he died on the 31st of January. So they chose to do this half a month later and on a Tuesday why?

11 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Why couldn't Baba have died on whatever day of the week that would make it a Friday or Saturday 20 years later?

Wait, he died on the 31st of January. So they chose to do this half a month later and on a Tuesday why?

Gotta get it on the cover of the 2000th issue of Pro-Wrestling Weekly. 

• Thanks 1

Guest The Magnificent 7
On 2/17/2019 at 4:48 AM, FlaeBlazer said:

The DDT Judgment show was fantastic. The main event is my MOTY so far and this show will be tough to beat for show of the year. 

I haven’t watched the whole thing but caught some highlights. DDT is always a mixed bag for me and I have a hard time getting past absurd things like 90 pound women hitting flippy powerbomb like finishers on dudes. 

Even if it has a cool name like Quetzcoatl  

If AEW works with DDT they need to leave that shit there or I won’t last long.