DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

6 hours ago, Control said:

Well on the face of it the new Doctor lacks the oddness we generally associate with DW actors, so I'm interested to see what her performance will be like.

Shrug.  We probably said the same thing about Capaldi when he got the role.

I haven't seen her in anything except Broadchurch, where she's fine but not asked to do a lot of the heavy lifting (post-season one).  There are actresses out there I would have gone to first, but I'm willing to give her a chance and I'd prefer to see them experiment more and not always pick "goofy white guy" for the role so I hope she succeeds.

I'm likely in a very small minority, but I'd dig a season with Alex Kingston in the role.  I liked her turn as River Song quite a bit.

I'm more interested in how the change in showrunners works out, honestly.  The Moffat/Davies formula doesn't do much for me, and Broadchurch is quite entertaining, so I'm hoping for a good run.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Shrug.  We probably said the same thing about Capaldi when he got the role.

I haven't seen her in anything except Broadchurch, where she's fine but not asked to do a lot of the heavy lifting (post-season one).  There are actresses out there I would have gone to first, but I'm willing to give her a chance and I'd prefer to see them experiment more and not always pick "goofy white guy" for the role so I hope she succeeds.

I'm likely in a very small minority, but I'd dig a season with Alex Kingston in the role.  I liked her turn as River Song quite a bit.

I'm more interested in how the change in showrunners works out, honestly.  The Moffat/Davies formula doesn't do much for me, and Broadchurch is quite entertaining, so I'm hoping for a good run.

When Capaldi got the role, I started watching Doctor Who. But, fair enough.

like you said, I think just as much/even more depends on the showrunner.

52 minutes ago, Roman said:

leS7V87.jpg

I am trying not to laugh at this sexist bullshit.

It is very hard.

Jodie is a fine actress and will do the best with what she's given. 

As per the usual, the success or failure of the season will hinge on the writing.  If it is shit, then the episodes will suck.

The timing for a female Doctor is about right since the idea that Galifreyans can regenerate into a cross-gender incarnation is fairly recent and IMO, The Doctor Donna was a prototyping run to gauge how receptive the audience would be to the concept.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think it was first mentioned in the episode Gaiman wrote when the tardis came to life.

Yep and it was put into practice in the ninth season episode, Hell Bent, when the General regenerates across genders and that Comic Relief bit where Hugh Grant as the Doctor dies and regenerates into Joanna Lumley.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the new Doctor appears to have a new companion, and he's old enough to be her dad.

UK media reports veteran British actor/entertainer Bradley Walsh has been tapped for the spot.

Americans probably best know him as the host of the UK version of the game show "The Chase" ...

I went to the rebroadcast of the Rifftrax Five Doctors tonight.  I only saw it once, spread out over probably 3 hours on a PBS pledge drive, and had forgotten how excruciating it was (or maybe I just assumed that all the pain was drive-related).  Pretty fun, but not the very best work I've seen from those guys (although their reactions to the perfect killing robot teleporting around and taking out the Cybermen was great).  And man, do they ever hate Turlough.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big Finish have announced that Derek Jacobi will be returning to play the Master alongside Leela, Ace and Lady President Romana in a Galifrey series set during the Time War.  I have the first 8th Doctor TW set but haven't listened to it yet.  I still liked it better when it was gonna be a five-episode one-off and not a 16-episode season, though.