DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

I really love Whittaker in the role, but Chibnell sucks. These have been the most bland Doctor Who adventures since it was brought back. It's a shame Whittaker didn't get better material to work with. My fear is that BBC and others will forever look at this and say a woman can't be the Doctor ever again. 

• Like 3

I liked Whittaker in the role though I always though it was a mistake to not have her keep the Capaldi outfit. She looked so damn good in that. I thought the companions were fine as well if not the most interesting. I'm actually indifferent on Chibnall. I didn't hate anything in particular, but nothing stood out at too well either. The previous showrunners did a better job making me care, be it love or hate, when it came to characters and story.

7 hours ago, Eoae said:

I don't have much of an opinion on who they cast to replace Whittaker or whether it's a man or a woman, but I hope the new showrunner retcons the plot twist from last season that retconned the Dr. as an alien who was somehow had her regeneration powers harvested so they could be transplanted into an entire civilization (how would that even work?).  I'm guessing the hardcore fanbase hates it because it tampers heavily with established canon.  My main compliant is that it's a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist and seems like something that will obviously need to be undone by the next showrunner in order tell future Who stories involving Gallifrey, the Daleks, etc.

Retconning usually leads to more fuckery. It’s better when DOCTOR WHO writers ignore anything that didn’t work for them and just not worry about it.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

Whittaker was really done a disservice by the writing and Chinball's lack of story, and his wanting to avoid any classic rogues in the first season.  I'm also someone who things Tenant's run was overrated and thought Capaldi was the best nuWho Doctor.   

• Like 3

Neil Gaiman has already ruled himself out for being the new showrunner. Besides already being busy with Sandman, Good Omens season 2, and Anansi Boys, he'd rather just write an episode rather than run it all.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Control said:

Maybe he’ll have recharged batteries after a decade away, or maybe it will be some real strong “this is fine.”

Now let’s hear about the new Doctor.

I'm guessing they're going back to a heartthrob.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, The Natural said:

44fc16642479f5ab-1200x675.jpg

A coveted part to play. Have the first episode of the new season a go but it wasn't for me. As noted I think Jodie Whittaker is missing something in the part, a gravitas but she isn't helped by such dud material from Chris Chibnall.

I didn't care for the opening 10 minutes or so, but the story is interesting enough in the first two episodes for me.

Think I know what the eventual reveal will be, but only time will tell...

We're two episodes into the new season and I had my expectations deeply lowered by everyone and maybe because of that, I kind of like it. It has its issues, but I appreciate the ambition. They set up a dizzying amount of things in the first episode and then it seems like they're going to pay them off one episode at a time while pushing things forward in the background. I appreciate what they're going for as all too often the show lacks any ambition at all or does it in the most pathetic (Bad Wolf) sort of ways. I knew I had to really pay attention for a change, so I did, and I don't feel particularly lost or anything.

Just watching the first episode and enjoying it so far, even if it’s more about setting up a bunch of pieces than telling a story. Plus, I’m down for a dog-faced space samurai. 

Feel like Eccleston and Capaldi deserve some recognition for being the only nuWho Doctors who didn’t ’t overact the shit out of the role at the drop of a hat.