DVDVR Message Board

Doctor Who Omnibus Thread

odessasteps

Saw an article claiming that, if Jodie Whittaker does leave as rumored, she'll replaced by Michael Sheen.

I mean, I don't believe it for a second and probably would still be skeptical even after his first episode aired, but it's at least got my attention.

I really want him to be the first Doctor with a beard.  His unkempt Prodigal Son beard deserves its own web series, if not a network show.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 8:07 PM, Eoae said:

Saw an article claiming that, if Jodie Whittaker does leave as rumored, she'll replaced by Michael Sheen.

I mean, I don't believe it for a second and probably would still be skeptical even after his first episode aired, but it's at least got my attention.

I really want him to be the first Doctor with a beard.  His unkempt Prodigal Son beard deserves its own web series, if not a network show.

Pedantic person here but Sir John Hurt had a beard as the War Doctor.

Be interesting to see whether we get a woman or a man as the next Doctor. I just want the best person for the job who does the best audition. I wanted to like Jodie Whittaker but she lacked that presence/gravitas that Tom Baker/David Tennant/Matt Smith/Peter Capaldi, my favourite Doctors have. An it factor. Such a difference from Jodie Whittaker to Michelle Gomez's Missy and Jo Martin's Doctor. Shitty writing didn't help Whittaker either but Smith and Capaldi were able to when it happened to them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I had no idea John Hurt was in Doctor Who until a couple of minutes ago, so thanks for mentioning his name.  Apparently didn't watch those episodes.  I'm going to try to track them down for the weekend.

Generally agree about Jodie Whittaker.  I like her in the role less than I want to like her in the role.  Dull (imo) companions and bad writing haven't helped, but she generally hasn't seemed capable of carrying the show like the past few actors in the role have been able to.  I'm open to seeing another woman in the role, but I'm hoping it's a more dynamic character.  

I'd be in favor of seeing more of Jo Martin's incarnation of the Doctor.  Bringing back Missy wouldn't hurt either.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eoae said:

I had no idea John Hurt was in Doctor Who until a couple of minutes ago, so thanks for mentioning his name.  Apparently didn't watch those episodes.  I'm going to try to track them down for the weekend.

Generally agree about Jodie Whittaker.  I like her in the role less than I want to like her in the role.  Dull (imo) companions and bad writing haven't helped, but she generally hasn't seemed capable of carrying the show like the past few actors in the role have been able to.  I'm open to seeing another woman in the role, but I'm hoping it's a more dynamic character.  

I'd be in favor of seeing more of Jo Martin's incarnation of the Doctor.  Bringing back Missy wouldn't hurt either.

You're welcome. Thanks for agreeing with me. You're in for a treat with The Name of the Doctor, The Night of The Doctor and The Day of the Doctor. That's the order you need to see them in.

11 hours ago, Ace said:

You've never seen The Day of the Doctor? How lucky you are to have that to look forward to.

When important milestones are marked, you want the celebration to be fitting for it. It's disappointing when it's not. The 50th Anniversary celebrations of Doctor Who in 2013 were perfect: The Night of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor and The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot.

Edited by The Natural

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/17/2020 at 5:07 AM, Control said:

Are they going to release any more classic Who on blu ray? I don’t believe they’ve  announced anything since the Talons of Weng-Chiang season.

There is an entire fucking Classic Dr. Who channel on Pluto TV.  I found out about it while watching Red Cliff this afternoon on Pluto's Films of Fury kung fu movie channel.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

There is an entire fucking Classic Dr. Who channel on Pluto TV.  I found out about it while watching Red Cliff this afternoon on Pluto's Films of Fury kung fu movie channel.

Between the Classic Who Channel, Baywatch Channel, and Rifftrax/MST3K Channels Pluto usually has plenty to keep my attention.

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2021 at 5:06 PM, The Natural said:

Be interesting to see whether we get a woman or a man as the next Doctor. I just want the best person for the job who does the best audition. I wanted to like Jodie Whittaker but she lacked that presence/gravitas that Tom Baker/David Tennant/Matt Smith/Peter Capaldi, my favourite Doctors have. An it factor. Such a difference from Jodie Whittaker to Michelle Gomez's Missy and Jo Martin's Doctor. Shitty writing didn't help Whittaker either but Smith and Capaldi were able to when it happened to them.

My thoughts at the beginning of the year. I think it'll be a woman again and hopefully it works out better this go round. Whittaker was lacking in the part and it didn't work out. Compare Jodie to her predecessors and Jo Martin's Doctor plus The Master portrayed by Michelle Gomez. Jodie wasn't helped getting lumbered with Chibnall's material either.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Breaking news:

Have to say I won't miss either particularly Chris Chibnall.

I thought she was great but the writing was pretty crap. The “best” episodes were pretty average.

• Like 3

I mean, you don't need to reinvent the wheel with WHO, but you have to have a vision. Whatever their relative strengths and weaknesses, the previous show-runners had a plan, and it doesn't seem like Chibnall does.

(Admittedly, I'm one of the few who is pretty high on Capaldi's last two seasons, and overall thought he was stronger than Smith).

Also, someone's gotta break the pattern of three seasons per Doctor. Two, four, whatever.

Edited by Control
  • Like 1

No one is going to have a Tom Baker length run. Since Baker left most Doctor's last 2-4 seasons and then jet. All in all it's a demanding roll and whoever takes over will always be highly scrutinized, now more than ever since Doctor Who is morea global thing than it was before.

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Control said:

I'd love it if they could announce a new Doctor, do the whole big "new Doctor" rigamarole, and then actually have a surprise regeneration midway through their first season.

Oh man, killing a new Doctor like 22 minutes into their first adventure and the whole rest of the episode is the companion fleeing the monster while the Doctor takes 35 minutes to full regen... god that would break the internet!

James

I basically like Whittaker in the role though I'm undecided whether or not she does have the "gravitas" to carry a show.  I'm not sure I'd like anyone in the role with Chibnall in charge.  I've disliked most everything about his run besides Whittaker.  Writing has rarely been good.  Supporting cast seem like a dull lot (I hate to say that; liked Bradley Walsh a lot on Law & Order UK).  Getting away from established villains was a fine idea in practice, but the replacement menaces didn't click.

I even dislike the wardrobe.  I still think the Doctor's attire looks awkward instead of stylish and the top and suspenders look unflattering on Whittaker.  Were they going for a Pippi Longstocking tomboy look?

As my wife said the first time she saw Whittaker's outfit "Yeah, that looks like something a woman who used to be a man would choose to wear."  Whittaker looked great in Capaldi's suit when she first appeared.  Kinda wish they had gone that direction.    

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Control said:

I mean, you don't need to reinvent the wheel with WHO, but you have to have a vision. Whatever their relative strengths and weaknesses, the previous show-runners had a plan, and it doesn't seem like Chibnall does.

(Admittedly, I'm one of the few who is pretty high on Capaldi's last two seasons, and overall thought he was stronger than Smith).

Also, someone's gotta break the pattern of three seasons per Doctor. Two, four, whatever.

Jodie Whittaker having to follow Eccleston, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi didn't help either. I'd rank the five Nu-Who Doctors as:

5. Jodie Whittaker.

4. Christopher Eccleston.

3. Peter Capaldi.

2. Matt Smith.

1. David Tennant.

Went with Smith over Capaldi as he was great from the start impressive as he's the youngest to play the part, I started watching Doctor Who regularly because of Smith and Season 5 is my favourite season of Doctor Who since the show was brought back in 2005. I was briefly tempted by Smith over Tennant for those reasons.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I basically like Whittaker in the role though I'm undecided whether or not she does have the "gravitas" to carry a show.  I'm not sure I'd like anyone in the role with Chibnall in charge.  I've disliked most everything about his run besides Whittaker.  Writing has rarely been good.  Supporting cast seem like a dull lot (I hate to say that; liked Bradley Walsh a lot on Law & Order UK).  Getting away from established villains was a fine idea in practice, but the replacement menaces didn't click.

I even dislike the wardrobe.  I still think the Doctor's attire looks awkward instead of stylish and the top and suspenders look unflattering on Whittaker.  Were they going for a Pippi Longstocking tomboy look?

As my wife said the first time she saw Whittaker's outfit "Yeah, that looks like something a woman who used to be a man would choose to wear."  Whittaker looked great in Capaldi's suit when she first appeared.  Kinda wish they had gone that direction.    

Wasn't a fan of Jodie's Doctor Who costume either.

• Like 1

The most painful thing out of all of that is that we won't get a proper season in 2021 or 2022. The show's been Harmless And Enjoyable since Smith's second year ended. It hasn't been felt essential for a while and it's fine as "Harmless and Enjoyable." It was really the BBC that decided that they didn't want the show to be a cultural force, that it wasn't in their plans or interest or wasn't their mandate or whatever.

The backlash against Chibnell is pretty amazing though.

Was Dr. Who anything more than than Harmless and Enjoyable?  I've never been particularly into the show so I'm mostly out of touch with how fans view it.

I don't have much of an opinion on who they cast to replace Whittaker or whether it's a man or a woman, but I hope the new showrunner retcons the plot twist from last season that retconned the Dr. as an alien who was somehow had her regeneration powers harvested so they could be transplanted into an entire civilization (how would that even work?).  I'm guessing the hardcore fanbase hates it because it tampers heavily with established canon.  My main compliant is that it's a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist and seems like something that will obviously need to be undone by the next showrunner in order tell future Who stories involving Gallifrey, the Daleks, etc.