RIPPA

Key January Dates

NXT TV Taping - Jan 3

NXT UK Takeover: Blackpool - Jan 12

NXT Takeover: Phoenix - Jan 26

NXT TV Taping - Jan 30

I have no idea when the next NXT UK TV taping is

Spoiler

Fabian Aichner and Marcel Bartel are an unbelievable duo. They had the first great match of the year against Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch. We need a lengthy feud between these two teams. Can't wait to see what Aichner and Bartel can do with Humberto Carrillo and Raúl Mendoza, too.

They also had a really fun match against some enhancement talent before.

Heavy Machinery got their big send off in a post show after party dark match teaming up with Aleister Black and Ricochet defeating the Undisputed Era in the second best match of the night. Sucks to see them go.

I just got back from NXT. I can't remember everything that happened spoiler wise or work wise. But I will say that I had the absolutely best time. It ruled so hard. The peak of my wrestling fandom came when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I used to go to the ECW Arena all the time. Or I'd go to see ECW shows at Asbury Park or Trenton or wherever. I was at the SummerSlam where Owen broke Austin's neck. Or every PPV someone would have a get together to watch. And after a show or whatever we'd all go and eat garbage food with whatever little money we collectively had. Tonight I went w/ my brother and his wife. We (me) heckled and yelled. Then after we had Taco Bell. What an awesome night.

This was a blast. I am so glad I went. Full Sail is weird. The school is for audio-visual students and is in a series of buildings in what looks like a giant office park off of a strip mall. The arena (as it is) is located in one of them behind a Wendy's and a sports bar. I'm not sure how many people can fit in the arena -- maybe 500? It's really small. You open a set of doors and then all of a sudden there's the wrestling ring and someone tells you where to sit. 

The crowd was great. People booed and cheered. There was a bit of irony involved at times, too. I hope no one gets mad if you hear me on camera screaming things like "IT'S NOT WORTH IT JOHNNY!" and "WHERE ARE YOUR MORALS?" I'm also waiting for the inevitable mockery from my friends going crazy for Velveteen Dream.   

As far as the actual matches themselves, here is what I remember:

Spoiler

I think my favorite match of the night was Bianca Belair versus Nikki Cross. There was a cool dueling chant. Full Sail is not universally sold on EST with some people not feeling her at all. I think she rules, though. This match was Bianca's longest singles match and was a great back-and-forth. The crowd was sorta silent for it but at the end it got a "THIS IS AWESOME!" chant. Great send-off for Nikki, who really became a star of the show the past few months. The E-S-T friggin' rules, though. 

Aichner/Bartel vs. 1/2 was a friggin' war. It was a really great "where the f did these guys come from?" match. I remember both of those guys from being squashed before. That match tore the house down. Bartel is really funny with his "distant German father" attitude. I hope those guys can do promos because they friggin' rule in the ring.

I have gone at length talking about how much I don't like The Undisputed Era. I was totally wrong about that. They're a friggin' blast in person. Bobby Fish was particularly great tonight acting like a hyperactive Little League coach during an Adam Cole match. "Shut Up Bobby" was one of the best chants of the night. There was also a fun post-show four-on-four match between the UE and Ricochet/Black/Heavy Machinery. The UEs came to attach get second licks on Ricochet and Black (laid out by a not-quite-reunited-yet DIY). Heavy Machinery came out to even the odds. The UE backed away and were saying things like "This is so dumb!" in these really funny weasely voices. Great toolbags.

Velveteen Dream beat Bobby Fish in a singles match. I am partial to Dream but he is such a superstar already. He plays to Full Sail like he plays in front of 80,000 people at WrestleMania. It doesn't feel forced at all. Can you imagine seeing Queen at some small club and you just knew Freddie Mercury was born to sing in friggin' giant stadiums? That's what Dream live felt to me. The biggest star. 

More thoughts later. But live wrestling rules. NXT rules.

• Like 9

The shows sound/look fun. Glad to hear Bartel and Aichner delivered as a team. I'm two episodes behind on NXT UK, but I liked what I've seen of Aichner there and in regular NXT. Bartel hasn't impressed me much, but for some reason I kind of like the guy.

7 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I just got back from NXT. I can't remember everything that happened spoiler wise or work wise. But I will say that I had the absolutely best time. It ruled so hard. The peak of my wrestling fandom came when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I used to go to the ECW Arena all the time. Or I'd go to see ECW shows at Asbury Park or Trenton or wherever. I was at the SummerSlam where Owen broke Austin's neck. Or every PPV someone would have a get together to watch. And after a show or whatever we'd all go and eat garbage food with whatever little money we collectively had. Tonight I went w/ my brother and his wife. We (me) heckled and yelled. Then after we had Taco Bell. What an awesome night.

This was a blast. I am so glad I went. Full Sail is weird. The school is for audio-visual students and is in a series of buildings in what looks like a giant office park off of a strip mall. The arena (as it is) is located in one of them behind a Wendy's and a sports bar. I'm not sure how many people can fit in the arena -- maybe 500? It's really small. You open a set of doors and then all of a sudden there's the wrestling ring and someone tells you where to sit. 

The crowd was great. People booed and cheered. There was a bit of irony involved at times, too. I hope no one gets mad if you hear me on camera screaming things like "IT'S NOT WORTH IT JOHNNY!" and "WHERE ARE YOUR MORALS?" I'm also waiting for the inevitable mockery from my friends going crazy for Velveteen Dream.   

As far as the actual matches themselves, here is what I remember:

Reveal hidden contents

I think my favorite match of the night was Bianca Belair versus Nikki Cross. There was a cool dueling chant. Full Sail is not universally sold on EST with some people not feeling her at all. I think she rules, though. This match was Bianca's longest singles match and was a great back-and-forth. The crowd was sorta silent for it but at the end it got a "THIS IS AWESOME!" chant. Great send-off for Nikki, who really became a star of the show the past few months. The E-S-T friggin' rules, though. 

Aichner/Bartel vs. 1/2 was a friggin' war. It was a really great "where the f did these guys come from?" match. I remember both of those guys from being squashed before. That match tore the house down. Bartel is really funny with his "distant German father" attitude. I hope those guys can do promos because they friggin' rule in the ring.

I have gone at length talking about how much I don't like The Undisputed Era. I was totally wrong about that. They're a friggin' blast in person. Bobby Fish was particularly great tonight acting like a hyperactive Little League coach during an Adam Cole match. "Shut Up Bobby" was one of the best chants of the night. There was also a fun post-show four-on-four match between the UE and Ricochet/Black/Heavy Machinery. The UEs came to attach get second licks on Ricochet and Black (laid out by a not-quite-reunited-yet DIY). Heavy Machinery came out to even the odds. The UE backed away and were saying things like "This is so dumb!" in these really funny weasely voices. Great toolbags.

Velveteen Dream beat Bobby Fish in a singles match. I am partial to Dream but he is such a superstar already. He plays to Full Sail like he plays in front of 80,000 people at WrestleMania. It doesn't feel forced at all. Can you imagine seeing Queen at some small club and you just knew Freddie Mercury was born to sing in friggin' giant stadiums? That's what Dream live felt to me. The biggest star. 

More thoughts later. But live wrestling rules. NXT rules.

Glad you had a good time.

I was the same about the Undisputed Era. It's really an act you have to see live to get. I thought they were average until I started going to Full Sail and saw them live. My opinion changed on them entirely since then.

Since @RIPPA hasn't created spoiler threads and I'm bored at work, here's the NXT spoilers from last nights TV tapings:

Spoiler

Stacey Erwin def. Shane Thorne in a dark match.

Johnny Gargano cuts a promo and says he's coming for the North American title. Ricochet confronts him. Tommaso Ciampa comes out and Gargano ends the segment laying out Ricochet with a superkick.

Bianca Belair def. Nikki Cross. The match was pretty lengthy and Nikki got her send off after the match.

Fabian Aichner and Marcel Bartel def. some enhancement talent in a really fun match. The enhancement talent got plenty of offense in and one of them wearing pink tights did an amazing job bumping for Aichner and Bartel who are great together. They seem to be NXT's version of Ringkampf.

Adam Cole def. EC3. The Undisputed ERA put a beating on EC3 after the match and the War Raiders made the save. EC3 got a send off after the match, too.

The Street Profits def. the Metro Brothers. I have no idea who the Metro Brothers are, but they looked like Deuce 'n Domino. The Forgotten Sons attacked the Street Profits after the match.

Bianca Belair cut a promo and was confronted by Shayna Baszler accompanied by Jessamyn Duke and Marina Shaffir.

Dominik Dijakovic def. Adrian Jaoude.

Johnny Gargano def. Humberto Carrillo.

Kassius Ohno def. Keith Lee. Matt Riddle came out after the match, but was held back by the refs.

Velveteen Dream comes out and cuts a promo saying he wants the North American title, but Adam Cole and Bobby Fish confront him. Velveteen tosses them both out of the ring.

Lacey Evans def. Xia Li. Lacey didn't get a send off like Nikki or EC3, but it looked like it was her final match in NXT regardless.

Oney Lorcan and Danny Burch def. Fabian Aichner and Marcel Bartel. Easily my pick for MOTN. 1-2 ruled as always, but Aichner and Bartel looked amazing. There was a botched springboard dropkick attempt from Aichner, but that will most likely get edited out.

Kairi Sane and Io Shirai def. Amber Nova and Tanea Brooks. Kairi hit an assisted Insane Elbow Drop and then Io hit an assisted Moonsault on Tanea.

Velveteen Dream def. Bobby Fish.

Ricochet came out to cut a promo and as the segment developed #DIY ended up attacking him and Aleister Black. We almost got a #DIY reunion, but Candace LeRae came out and broke it up on the ramp.

Heavy Machinery, Aleister Black and Ricochet def. the Undisputed ERA in an after party dark match which was easily my second favorite match of the night. Sucks it won't air anywhere. Heavy Machinery got a send off from the fans after the match.

I don't remember when a taping ends and when a new taping begins, but that's all that happened.

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Question for those who attended.

Hide contents

How much time would you guess Ohno vs Lee got? 

Spoiler

IIRC it close to 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I will create threads as time allows today

Any chance we get a 2019 NXT UK thread? I'm watching their TV shows from this week and they are good stuff, so I'm sure that will get some discussion going.

That Mustache Mountain/Gallus match from this week was good and I highly recommend giving a watch if you haven't.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Any chance we get a 2019 NXT UK thread? I'm watching their TV shows from this week and they are good stuff, so I'm sure that will get some discussion going.

That Mustache Mountain/Gallus match from this week was good and I highly recommend giving a watch if you haven't.

Haven't seen this week's episodes yet, but I concur. They are gradually finding a solid place. Really enjoying the tag match building up to the belts. Rhea/Deonna was good and easily the best Deonna has looked since joining WWE. Also dug Joe Coffey's matches with Banks & Ligero. He has shown so much more than he did in last year's tournament.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, Edwin said:

• Like 1

My picks:

Female Competitor of the Year: Shayna Baszler (Not even close).

Male Competitor of the Year: Johnny Gargano (I could see Velveteen Dream or Tommaso Ciampa taking this).

Overall Competitor of the Year: Johnny Gargano (Tommaso Ciampa or Shayna Baszler are the only other people I can see taking this).

Tag Team of the Year: Undisputed ERA (1-2 or Moustache Mountain for second and third place).

TakeOver of the Year: Philadelphia

Match of the Year: Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano from TakeOver: Philadelphia (Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano from TakeOver: New Orleans).

Rivalry of the Year: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano

Breakout Star of the Year: Bianca Belair

Future Star of the Year: Matt Riddle

Mine...

Female Competitor of the Year: Shayna Baszler. Kairi Sane runner-up.

Male Competitor of the Year: Johnny Gargano. Second place goes to Tommaso Ciampa. Tough call between them.

Overall Competitor of the Year: Johnny Gargano. Second place goes to Tommaso Ciampa. Tough choice between the two.

Tag Team of the Year: Undisputed ERA then Moustache Mountain.

TakeOver of the Year: New Orleans. For me it's the best NXT TakeOver ever.

Match of the Year: Andrade Almas vs. Johnny Gargano from NXT TakeOver: Philadelphia then Gargano vs. Ciampa from  NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.

Rivalry of the Year: Tommaso Ciampa vs. Johnny Gargano.

Breakout Star of the Year:  Riccohet followed by Bianca Belair.

Future Star of the Year: Matt Riddle.

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Based on some of the indie lineups I have seen in January and February like CZW, did Shane Strickland turn down an NXT contract or is he going in a future "class" because this next one seems to be huge

His Lucha Underground contract is delaying when he can officially sign to NXT  (same thing happened with Ricochet).