DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Alex Shelley vs Matt Taven was a perfectly fine match and main event.  They should definitely go back to Villian Enerprises 6 and 8 men matches.

The world needs more of Brodie King and PCO beating the shit out of little guys with Marty occasionally tagging in for a scientific sequence.

I just did the math and the total combined weight all of the members of Shinobi Shadow Squad is sixty pounds less than the total combined weight of both of the Road Warriors.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Love Delirious to death since he's originally from my neck of the woods, but even I have trouble figuring out ROH booking these days.  When most of your champions have their belts because no one else wants to sign them...

Edited by PB-13
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PB-13 said:

Love Delirious to death since he's originally from my neck of the woods, but even I have trouble figuring out ROH booking these days.  When most of your champions have their belts because no one else wants to sign them...

You're from the Edge of Sanity, too?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

The St. Louis area, but close enough.

Yeah, I knew Delirious came out of the St. Louis area with Matt Sydal and Daizee Haze. Speaking of Sydal, who we haven't heard anything from since leaving Impact and having surgery, I fully believe he's signed or is signing with AEW. Cody said a while ago there's roster members that haven't made any appearances yet and I think Sydal is one of them.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

RoH are doing tournament to determine #1 contender for world title match at Final Battle:

fb-tournament.jpg

I saw some smart people saying how this is TNA move and I don't really get it? To me this looks like RoH are taking things from NJPW. Will this work? Probably not, but I like things have structure and I think that this is overall a good move even thou tournaments aren't really popular in USA.

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

RoH are doing tournament to determine #1 contender for world title match at Final Battle:

fb-tournament.jpg

I saw some smart people saying how this is TNA move and I don't really get it? To me this looks like RoH are taking things from NJPW. Will this work? Probably not, but I like things have structure and I think that this is overall a good move even thou tournaments aren't really popular in USA.

It was awesome when ROH did the Race to the Top Tournament back in 2007 to determine a #1 contender for Morishima's title. That was a 16 man tournament. Sadly, the 2019 roster doesn't come close to the 2007 roster. I'm going to say right now that RUSH wins the tournament and beats Taven at Final Battle.

I think I can rattle off the Race to the Top tourney from memory.

Claudio Castagnoli, El Generico, Mike Quackenbush, Jack Evans, Brent Albright, Matt Sydal, Chris Hero, BJ Whitmer, Pelle Primeau, Kevin Steen, "M-Dogg" Matt Cross, Delirious, Hallowicked, Jigsaw, Davey Richards, Erick Stevens

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

https://www.pwinsider.com/article.php?id=129162&p=1

This is top stuff. Give the biggest win to a man who might be leaving even sooner than Marty.

Ring of Honor Champion Matt Taven's current contract with the promotion is scheduled to come to an end at the end of September, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. 

The two sides have not yet come to terms on a new deal.

This is top stuff. Give the biggest win to a man who might be leaving even sooner than Marty.

Edited by Archibald

35 minutes ago, Archibald said:

https://www.pwinsider.com/article.php?id=129162&p=1

This is standard wrestling behavior for big promotions: give the guy a run at the top in the hopes he re-signs. Indies often give guys runs at the top in lieu of decent paydays, but that's a different story...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marty Sugar said:

This is standard wrestling behavior for big promotions: give the guy a run at the top in the hopes he re-signs. Indies often give guys runs at the top in lieu of decent paydays, but that's a different story...

Right, but being ROH they chose to do that with Matt fucking Taven and not Marty Scurll. The whole reason that people used to justify pivoting to Taven instead of Scrull is because the former will likely stay. What a fucking shit show. I mean, I don't want it to shut down because it is important to have another place where guys can get paid honing their craft but ROH is such a husk of its husk at this stage. It's basically a matryoshka of husks.

• Like 5

Can you really blame them for so easily writing off the possibility of resigning Scurll? He's going to go where his friends are and make more money than ROH will be able to offer him. Was there any question he was leaving? At least with Taven, the carrot would have more potential appeal.

Of course in hindsight, they should have crowned Scurll for a few months just to keep something people wanted at the top of the card.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Right, but being ROH they chose to do that with Matt fucking Taven and not Marty Scurll. The whole reason that people used to justify pivoting to Taven instead of Scrull is because the former will likely stay. What a fucking shit show. I mean, I don't want it to shut down because it is important to have another place where guys can get paid honing their craft but ROH is such a husk of its husk at this stage. It's basically a matryoshka of husks.

I firmly disagree with this board's collective dislike of Taven. The guy is a great heel champion, and despite often playing a chickenshit, he can fucking go. However, I am surprised Scurll didn't get the strap, if only to do exactly what I just said is standard wrestling contract negotiations: give Marty the belt and tie him to ROH even longer, to really stick it to AEW. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Can you really blame them for so easily writing off the possibility of resigning Scurll? He's going to go where his friends are and make more money than ROH will be able to offer him. Was there any question he was leaving? At least with Taven, the carrot would have more potential appeal.

Of course in hindsight, they should have crowned Scurll for a few months just to keep something people wanted at the top of the card.

Precisely this, sir. If you're losing him, try to maximize his value before he leaves. In my mind it was clear you have Marty win at MSG (still later than I would've done but whatever) all the while building up somebody like Rush or Bandido something fierce to be the guy to beat Scurll on his way out.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

Taven does zero for me. He's the least interesting member of his own stable IMO.

Hate that the Top Prospect Tournament seems to be relegated to YouTube (at least as far as full matches go). Already see Austin Gunn vs. Dak Draper as the likely final. Draper = money...dude's got size, look, can talk, can work.

7 hours ago, PB-13 said:

Taven does zero for me. He's the least interesting member of his own stable IMO.

Hate that the Top Prospect Tournament seems to be relegated to YouTube (at least as far as full matches go). Already see Austin Gunn vs. Dak Draper as the likely final. Draper = money...dude's got size, look, can talk, can work.

Ouch. I find him slightly more interesting than TK O'Ryan. Not much, but slightly.

https://www.sescoops.com/all-entrants-revealed-for-roh-world-title-no-1-contender-tournament/

Ring of Honor wrestling has announced the second and last batch of entrants for the ROH World Title No. 1 Contender tournament. 

ROH announced the first four entrants of the tournament on August 29. Jay Lethal, Kenny King, Dalton Castle, and Marty Scurll were the first four entrants named. 

The remaining four entrants have also been revealed to be PCO, Colt Cabana, Bandido and Mark Haskins. 

The tournament matches are set to take place at Death Before Dishonor and Death Before Dishonor Fallout on September 27 and September 28 respectively in Las Vegas at Sam’s Town Live. 

It was noted in the press release that “Death Before Dishonor has been an ROH staple since 2003 and has featured historic title changes and epic confrontations. This will be the fourth year in a row that Las Vegas has hosted the extravaganza.”

The semifinals and finals of the tournament will take place at Glory By Honor in New Orleans on October 12 at UNO Lakefront Arena.

The winner of the tournament will earn an opportunity for the ROH World Championship at Final Battle on December 13 in Baltimore at the UMBC Event Center.