DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

On 2/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, Octopus said:

Derp. What is everyone’s 5 favorite Lucha matches of all time?

I'm not too much of a bandwagon jumper, but the first three that Curt listed are also on my list as well. I've seen the Atlantis/Villano mask match, and I really liked it. BTW, Curt didn't specify which of the two trios matches between those groups, although they're both fucking awesome.

I'll also add the Tag TItles and Hair/Mask match from When Worlds Collide, and the CMLL Tag Titles match between Volador Jr./La Sombra and Mephisto/Ephesto from the 2009 Sin Salida show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll let Pete describe it 

NEGRO CASAS/DANDY/HECTOR GARZA vs. HIJO DEL SANTO/SCORPIO JR/BESTIA SALVAJE - EMLL 11/96: (POGO PETE)
The grudge match coming off Santito's unthinkable rudo turn the previous week, and the tecnicos are out for his blood. This is the Brawl With It All - ungodly heat (when Santo hits the ring and mockingly blows kisses to the crowd, even the piss-poor Televisa audio mix can't hide the fact that these folks would like nothing better than to see his ass on a platter), insane violence (Santo rips a set of ringside chairs off its moorings so he can level a bloodied Dandy with them) and perhaps the ultimate death-for-your-pleasure highspot (Garza tries a Shooting Star Press to the floor and accidentally invents the German Air Show Senton in the process). Dr. Morales marks out about a half-dozen times, the crowd is at a froth the whole time, Bestia is in tears at the end and Negro LAUGHS IN HIS FACE like a maniac. Unbelievably intense and dramatic. American bookers should be strapped in their chairs and forced to watch this Clockwork Orange-style to see how to book revenge matches.

Sums it up nicely

• Like 3

I was listening to Between the Sheets this morning, and they got talking about Psicosis and how he's so well known for the matches that he had with Rey, that people never realized how verstatile he was, as shown in his matches with Santito and the WCW matches with Regal. With my curiosity thoroughly piqued, I fired up the Tube of Yous and checked out a WWA Title match between Santito and Psicosis from AAA in 1995 that lived up to the anticipation.

• Like 1

My apologies in advance, but FantasticaMania by definition means I need to resort to crossposting to cover my bases, both in the Japan folder and this one:

For those of you with NJPW World (or perhaps Cubsfan can help you out) I would strongly recommend four matches from the final two Korakuen Hall nights of FantasticaMania:

Soberano Jr vs Templario / Rocky Romero vs. Volador Jr. / Atlantis Jr vs. Hechicero / Stuka Jr vs. Mascara Dorada

All great, but in particular I thought the Hechicero match really stood out because he and Atlantis Jr have insane chemistry.  I loved Atlantis Jr as a rudo, but here he was definitely a tecnico, and well, he's just great overall!  Hechicero was the star here, though.  The announcers mentioned Zack a bit during the match, which gives me hope that we'll see ZSJ vs. Hechicero sooner than later.  Soberano Jr and Templario tried some incredibly difficult spots (with varying degrees of success) and had much more of New Japan style match than a CMLL one, which is why FantasticaMania can be so rewarding at times.  

I believe Cubsfan mentioned that Soberano Jr, Templario and Rocky may be going forward as a trio unit in CMLL (and elsewhere?), and I am very much in favor of that idea.  

It looked to me that there was particular interest in Dark Panther during this tour on the New Japan side.  He's a guy with a lot of skills who just seems to lack a few things to bring him up to the next level, such as struggling a bit in longer singles matches and even his gear and overall appearance need more fine-tuning.  He would be a great candidate for an excursion in Japan for a while, and I wonder if the powers that be might be thinking the same thing.  I guess we'll see.  

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

No dedicated thread? That's ok. Initial thoughts:

• Danielson didn't seem to get as big a reaction as Claudio or Moxley. I loved hearing the spanish descriptions of each guy as they came out. They made it like Moxley was "Comandante Pierroth", leader of La Comando Caribeño but, you know Comandante of the BCC.
  • Very funny that Sydal was the captain. Would have Yuta been the captain? Loved the violencia sin limites bcc shirts. Hilarious that Sydal's entrance has Peace and Love in it. I would have aligned him more to the BCC theme maybe?
  • Yes chants right from the get go and Danielson playing them up (more on that later). Panther trying to endorse him.
  • Then they got huge heat from me (and I guess the crowd) by avoiding the initial pairings and going right to chaos and into the beatdown. What the hell? The whole point of this was see Danielson and Panther work the mat! I love heat in my lucha, love it, but this was one time I wanted an exception. The bastards.
  • The first beatdown (because there were two!) was pretty surreal. Moxley wasn't nearly as good as directing traffic as you'd hope. He was no Satantico or Ultimo Guerrero and these were no GdI but it was their first time and I forgive them. Lots of fun individual spots like the giant swing on stupid Volador and it was nice to see Matt Sydal as their spin kicking attack dog.
  • Double comebacks were weird. Lucha is about the ebb and the flow, the transfer of the mandate of heaven, control of destiny. It's about a big beatdown leading to that golden, shining moment of comeback. Panther had that with his clothesline and then, after Mistico's big spot, they went right back to heat on UG. UG doing the raise the roof while he was getting beaten on felt like coming home to me, and then Claudio absolutely killed him for it. He got his big comeback immediately thereafter though.
  • From there they went on to pairings, but these were tercera caida pairings, not initial primera feelings out so it wasn't the same. Rapid fire, a few spots and out, on to the next guy. Still, lots of good stuff in here and the stuff I wanted: I wanted Moxley vs UG, both the slapfight and Moxley eating the top rope (don't powerbomb kidman) Power Bomb that's ritual in all big UG matches. Mistico, charismatic bastard that he is, subverted the yes chants and Danielson did the no ones for the first time in years, I think. I wanted Claudio basing for Mistico and it was beautiful, down to the way the camera has to follow and can barely catch the rana to the floor. It makes you feel like you're going along for the ride. Sydal matched up fine with anyone he was in with. Panther was absolutely fearless because he had the most powerful force in the world on his side, Claudio basing for him.
  • Panther vs Danielson needed another rotation or too but I loved Panther just charging through the knee. Just bonkers stuff you'd never see in the states. And the Fujiwara moment was awesome, though I might have picked something else since it was the prelude to La Mistica on Sydal that ended it.
  • Overall, very special. I can't help but wish it had an extra five minutes at the top before things broke down. That said, it's easy to forgive with a singles match ahead of us.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

No dedicated thread?

The board has too many arbitrarily-started threads already. 😀

it would be cool if Claudio got another match next week too. 

If anyone has a link to said match that a naughty boy would be able to naughtily see said Danielson vs Blue Panther, my DM’s are open for a naughty experience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...