DVDVR Message Board

GENERAL LUCHA LIBRE THOUGHTS

RIPPA

On 8/4/2020 at 5:19 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Does anyone know the name of the blond-haired woman Shocker and Emilio Charles fight over in their 2001 feud? 

Past few days I tried to dig out the answer and I give up. I’m not sure if she was given a name other than just stating she’s Emilio’s girlfriend.

On TheCubsfan Lucha Report for August 28th, 2001 I found this, “Emilio Charles goes out on a date with the blonde chick. He then asks her what does Shocker mean by the special treatment, as if he doesn’t trust her. She claims to be 2200% Guapo just like Emilio…

Emilio Charles, Bestia Salvaje, Scorpio Jr. vs. Averno, Satanico, and Apollo Dantes- Before the match starts Shocker comes out with the Satanico team and starts yelling at Charles, telling him he’s going to make Emilio lose his “guapo”. Then Shocker goes to Emilio’s girlfriend in the front row, hits on her and kisses her on her hand! Emilio chases him off. The Guapos easily take the first fall. Satanico’s team returns the favor in a heavily clipped second fall. Third fall is mostly brawling with a few moves tossed in. Apollo Dantes hits an usually strong tope taking Bestia out. Averno, likewise almost kills himself banging his head on the apron with a tope con giro. Satanico slams Emilio and goes for the nudo, but gets fouled in the process. The match was kind of weak but the crowd was really hot so that’s a plus.”

Going through videos, I believe this is her:

C2-A2-CDAA-FFD3-4202-AB81-3924711-BCC80.

But I couldn’t find footage of the vignettes of them going on dates or meeting up in a park. I did stumble on a steamy video of Shocker getting a massage from a different lady that you can find on YouTube. 

If you like I could post a link to a November match I believe she’s in the crowd for a contract signing. I don’t speak the language so maybe they say her name in that.

CMLL coming back in Sept. and on ippv. Cubs with details:

CMLL will return to running Friday night shows starting September 4th. The shows will air on Ticketmaster Live, a new-ish streaming service set up by the ticket broker site. There’s no price announced. Ticketmaster does not yet list the shows. Events on the service run from 150 to 400 pesos. It appears Ticketmaster allows international purchases, though every show may be different.

Previous attempts on CMLL iPPVs have been a struggle. Ticketmaster is doing this full time, has an existing relationship with CMLL, and this now has to be a top priority instead of just a side project. If CMLL iPPVs had to try iPPVs again – and they pretty much have to if they’re going to run shows – this is probably the best show they have at getting it to work. (If they are successful, it does open up the possibility of CMLL sticking with Friday night iPPVs even when shows go back to normal, but that’s an issue for another day.)

These are currently empty arena shows. CMLL is hoping they’ll be able to have some fans. They announced a plan to fill the building to 30% capacity (5000 people) if permitted by the local government. Mexico’s original plan was not to allow attendance at indoor events until they reached Green health conditions. That’s no close to happening – Mexico City would have to go to Yellow on Friday for it to arrive in time for Aniversario – but Mexico City has also moved to allow movie theatres to allow 30% capacity. I’m not confident in the science of that decision, but a 30% full wrestling building seems about as safe as a 30% movie theatre. CMLL may get those fans. Nothing is for sure until we get to those shows.

CMLL will run on September 4th, 11th, 18th, and 25th. The last date is the CMLL Aniversario show. There will be no mask or hair match, as expected by those paying attention to the economic situation. CMLL will instead have an all title match card, with challengers selected by the fans. CMLL fan polls have led to fan mischief in the past, though CMLL can also handle the situation by carefully choosing the challengers. CMLL will also have to decide which of their two dozen champions will defend.

• Like 2

CMLL released the nominees for the title matches ...

NWA Welterweight: Volador Jr vs. choice of Bandido, Soberano Jr. or Templario

CMLL Trios: Los Guerreros vs. choice of Mephisto/Ephesto/Luciferno, Titan/Audaz/Star Jr. or Cavernario, Terrible, Hechicero

CMLL Tag: Caristico/Mistico vs. choice of Angel de Oro/Niebla Rojo, Diamante Azul/Stuka Jr., Atlantis Jr/Flyer or Rey Cometa/Espiritu Negro

CMLL Women: Marcela vs. choice of Dalys, Amapola or Princesa Sugehit

CMLL Mircos: Chamuel vs. choice of Microman, Guapito or Gallito

Mexican Trios: NGD vs. choice of Panther family, Negro Casas/Felino/Tiger, Virus/Raziel/Cancerbero or Valiente/Guerrero Maya Jr./Esfinge

Mexican Women: Metalica vs. choice of Reyna Isis, Lluvia, Jarochita or Estrellita 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And the Anniversary Show is slowly going into disaster mode.

Princesa Sugehit won the CMLL Women vote, but was ruled out due to a positive COVID-19 test. Replaced by Dalys.

Lluvia won the Mexican Women vote, and she's also tested positive for COVID-19. Replaced by Reyna Isis.

As we learned from that LA Times story posted on the main page, Lluvia is also Mrs. Ultimo Guerrero, and hubby is currently on the card. This is not going to go well.

• Sad 1

On 8/4/2020 at 6:19 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

Does anyone know the name of the blond-haired woman Shocker and Emilio Charles fight over in their 2001 feud? 

She was never named. I believe she was a girlfriend of one of the wrestlers at the time. The idea was to build to a match where Shocker put his hair and a different girl's hair on the line vs Emilio's hair & this blonde girl's hair. In the build they did an Apolo Dantes vs Emilio Charles Jr. hair match a few weeks before at Arena Mexico. The girl who was with Shocker was in Apolo's corner & the blonde fan was front row as usual. Before the match Emilio gave the blonde flowers and for the finish he smashed the vase they were in over Apolo's head to win. Then in one of these only in pro wrestling moments... what happened was the angle got too much heat as during the post-match chaos a female fan legit attacked the blonde girl (pulled out a clump of her hair!) and had to be pulled off by police & security. This scared the shit out of both women involved in the angle, not to mention CMLL itself who didn't want this kind of thing in Arena Mexico so that was the end of that. The blonde woman wasn't around any more, not even for the year end show where Emilio lost his hair.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Opened the Crackle app on the Roku and noticed that they have a new Lucha show. Looks incredibly...let’s say *inspired* by Lucha Underground. Called Heroes of Lucha Libre. Did a bit of digging and found some info.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/remezcla.com/film/heroes-lucha-libre-set-mix-traditional-mexican-wrestling-comic-book-spin/%3famp

Also some lineups, via Cubs...

Oh no they've broke you too??? I figured you were in it for the long haul.

Back when I said the only thing two things that would kill CMLL were a natural disaster (implying Arena Mexico damage) or the family deciding to sell - I never thought it would be a natural disaster along these lines just preventing them from running shows with fans. It's hard to look down the line and see CMLL as we know it surviving into 2022. 2021 will be their first challenging year since 1993 & I don't think the current management has any interest in putting in the effort to rebuild things.

I think the combination of the Friday shows now being PPV (and not worth buying) and the usual booking issues and missing talent has robbed me of most interest. 

If the anniversary show had gone off without all the changes, it might be different. 

Even the eras I really like in CMLL aren't exactly "booked." You might get one angle that they milk for a few months or something teased forever that sort of feels like storytelling just because they take so long to pull a trigger, but it's usually just plug and play.

• Like 2