DVDVR Message Board

All Elite Wrestling is official

Brian Fowler

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Janela could use the hardcore stip. Please no straight up Janela matches. Such a huge difference between watching him do silly gimmick matches and ill advised indie epics.

To make things easier let Joey Janela have his own rules matches like Raven in WCW. 

• Like 4

Fuck yes. And co-opt Spring Break, letting him book it and get a share of the gate or some shit. Though his deal allows him to do indies according to Krone Metzler, so we'll still probably get GCW Janela produced shows.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Fuck yes. And co-opt Spring Break, letting him book it and get a share of the gate or some shit. Though his deal allows him to do indies according to Krone Metzler, so we'll still probably get GCW Janela produced shows.

I like this. Co-brand Joey Janela Spring Break, and air it on TV  outdoors ala WCW Spring Breakout. Let him get the same cut he would get it he did it on his own, let him book it, etc. 

Run it at an outdoor venue and really make it unique. And book the entire thing around Janela, positioning him as one of the top stars of the promotion.

Seems like a win-win to me.

• Like 5

My one real wish for all of this... not Omega, not more spontaneous promos, none of that trivial nonsense... It's gotta be BRING BACK THE WCW THEMED ZANY PPV SETS. I want an Ibushi no look special off a lifeguard tower. Janela doing a plancha from the top of a Spring Stampede-esque barn (not destroying his knee in the process would be nice). Bring back fun PPV sets, please!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

My one real wish for all of this... not Omega, not more spontaneous promos, none of that trivial nonsense... It's gotta be BRING BACK THE WCW THEMED ZANY PPV SETS. I want an Ibushi no look special off a lifeguard tower. Janela doing a plancha from the top of a Spring Stampede-esque barn (not destroying his knee in the process would be nice). Bring back fun PPV sets, please!

WCW did run Halloween Havoc at MGM so they might as well buy some plastic tombstones from Party City for the hell of it. 

• Like 1

Jesus Christ, what an abomination WW3 was. My guess is it was a Bischoff idea. I could just imagine his line of thinking.

"WWF has the 30 man Royal Rumble, so we'll have a 60 man battle royal...IN THREE RINGS. That'll show Vince because bigger is ALWAYS better! It's all Ted's money anyway, so I don't give a fuck what it costs."

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The way he said it was just his own opinion as an aside, but not necessarily a reason why not to have one. I don't think he implied they shouldn't have one. What he said was he had not heard of there being one in place, then talked about his personal knowledge of most of those guys not drinking or doing whatever, but if they develop problems at some point (i.e. being on the road), it could be a possibility. The person on Twitter probably just ran that all together because of Dave's stream of consciousness.

So no, he didn't say that or at least in that fashion.

Christopher Daniels has a DUI on his record. So there's that.

3 hours ago, evanknight said:

They should do a modern twist of the tv title rule that WCW for a bit but instead of letting a time limit draw go to three judges, they should let a 15 minute draw go to an audience vote for the winner. Let there be a social media/app vote ... push live events, encourage crowd interaction, and give a good reason for all the flips also, win/win...

I'd say to make wins and losses matter- the secondary belt gets defended every week until the champ wins 10 straight.  draws mean rematch next week (15 min time limit, then 20, then 30, then none), DQ means champ can lose on a DQ next time.  Belts can change on a countout.  If champ wins 10 straight he automatically gets a world title shot with a week's notice (to promote it)  , and a tournament is held for new secondary champ.

I fully expect Kenny to do some sort of wacky event around a fighting game major, probably CEO, where he has Alex Jebailey throw the heel manager into Sonicfox's fox costume.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jesus Christ, what an abomination WW3 was. My guess is it was a Bischoff idea. I could just imagine his line of thinking.

"WWF has the 30 man Royal Rumble, so we'll have a 60 man battle royal...IN THREE RINGS. That'll show Vince because bigger is ALWAYS better! It's all Ted's money anyway, so I don't give a fuck what it costs."

It was Eric's idea. He didn't exactly defend it on Twitter, just said something about trying something different. The real question is why they ran it two or three more times.

31 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

It was Eric's idea. He didn't exactly defend it on Twitter, just said something about trying something different. The real question is why they ran it two or three more times.

It's that well known addiction definition of insanity.

I'm stealing this from Reddit, who presumably stole this from Meltzer. Grain of salt blah blah since people in this thread talk about them having Meltzer in their pocket etc. But, hey, whatever. AJA KONG.

They are negotiating with two major cable networks for a live weekly two-hour show. AEW opened picking up sizable talent and there are very serious negotiations with two major cable stations for a weekly two-hour live prime time television show

The Jacksonville show is expected to take place in July, and the third show is expected to take place in Chicago in September. The second AEW show will be during the summer in Jacksonville, with a large percentage of proceeds going to benefit victims of gun violence. There is still a lot to work out for the show, but it will most likely be in July or closely related to that. The third show, as yet unannounced, is likely to be in Chicago, possibly back at the Sears Center, over Labor Day weekend with the idea of being the anniversary of the first All In, and would also be a PPV show.

They are unlikely to land Mayu Iwatani, but are looking at other Japanese women including bringing in Aja Kong. Women wrestlers from Stardom and other promotions have been contacted. One of the key ones was Mayu Iwatani, who is unlikely to come. ROH, which also has an affiliation with Stardom, paid for Iwatani’s three-year U.S. visa so unless ROH and AWE make a deal, which will be difficult because they are competitors, Stardom feels it would be wrong to have her work against ROH, which also has booked Iwatani for its Madison Square Garden show. Several Japanese women have been talked about for at least certain dates, including Hall of Famer Aja Kong, but that deal is not believed to be completed. But the Japanese women are being heavily scouted.

Tuesday Night Dynamite probably won't be a thing. While Tuesday Night Dynamite was trademarked and that obviously meant Tuesday was the plan at that time, it is up to the station they sign with and right now Tuesday looks highly unlikely, but two hours of live prime time is still the plan with either deal.

--

The Young Bucks turned down a very unique deal from WWE. Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he’d have been pushed as one of its top stars. The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I’ve never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren’t happy with their push.

Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn’t have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he’d likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.

Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn’t turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

• Thanks 1