DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK HIDDEN GEMS

RIPPA

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

Funny thing about the Piper/Ramon interaction is that Piper indicates he was fighting when Razor was having his diapers changed, but they were only four years apart in age.

EDIT: You have to go to 1984 to find the Luger footage since they messed it up. It's super surreal though. Just a total Vince mindfuck to the sheets or whoever.

Just watched the Luger bit.  Holy shit.......Vince is a fucking savage.  I can't believe I actually saw this after years of hearing about it.  

• Like 1

Wait - my inner child is so confused?

Was the backlot brawl originally supposed to be Goldust/Razor?

I've also never heard the WrestleMania 3 angle of Andre aligning with Heenan because he was the only one to show up at his reinstatement hearing.  It's weird that both the WresleMania 2 & 3 press conferences try to humanize the big giant monster Hogan is wrestling. 

Bundy saying he didn't want to hurt Hogan but that was the only way to get a title shot?  I don't know how to process all this.  

Edited by CSC

No, it was supposed to be Razor/Goldust, but Hall balked at the gay overtones of the angle and didn't want to do it.  Then the WCW offer came up.  He challenged Goldust to a WM match on the 2/19/96 RAW and Razor coincidentally "failed" a drug test right after and pretty much disappeared from TV for the rest of his contract until coming back to job to Vader on a PPV (and the infamous MSG show.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was such a weird angle too - difficult to not see it in today's lens and think Razor was a total heel in all of that build up, total homophobe, and the interactions with Piper made me think he was turning (he would have been awesome as Shawns' first challenger). 

But then again, Lawler got the first big face pop of his WWF career calling him an outright flaming fag so there's that too.

On 4/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, DreamBroken said:

Tomorrow's hidden gem a Tom Magee v Ted DiBiase match from December 88.

I watched this. There's a bit in the middle where the audio goes mute for a few minutes. You're not missing anything as it's a house show match with no commentary, but the random muting made me curious. Did they do that on purpose recently? Were we missing some kind of mic or equipment check or something else?

Edited by The Green Meanie

The Magee vs Ted match was fine. I mean, the legend of Magee being comically bad has been so built up now that it couldn't live up. He was decidedly terrible but in there with a guy that is an all-time great so it was whatever. It really is the story behind Magee that makes it all interesting. 

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Added today is what they describe as "one of the surviving episodes" of Leroy McGuirk's Championship Wrestling

Leroy seemed to have a think for jacked up bald men as canon fodder heels. I was about to joke about Johnny K-9 being a perfect fit, and then remembered his runs in Tennesee and Texas as Tarus Bulba.

Leroy also used such creative names for his heels as "The Turk" from Instanbul, and "El Mongol" from Mongolia.

4 hours ago, Hagan said:

The Magee vs Ted match was fine. I mean, the legend of Magee being comically bad has been so built up now that it couldn't live up. He was decidedly terrible but in there with a guy that is an all-time great so it was whatever. It really is the story behind Magee that makes it all interesting. 

And that's what makes the legend of the Hart match so intriguing. Because it's not "it couldn't be too bad because Bret was too good for it to completely suck" or "sure, Magee was awful but Bret looked so good it didn't matter." It was "Tom Magee looked like THE next star of professional wrestling, with the build of Warrior but capable of wrestling great matches." Then you see other Magee matches...

• 2 weeks later...

They are adding a Pro Wrestling USA show that has Ric Flair vs. Sargent Slaughter and the Freebirds vs. Road Warrior and Paul Ellering

One hasn't been seen before and one has only been available in clipped form but I have already forgotten which one is which

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

They are adding a Pro Wrestling USA show that has Ric Flair vs. Sargent Slaughter and the Freebirds vs. Road Warrior and Paul Ellering

One hasn't been seen before and one has only been available in clipped form but I have already forgotten which one is which

We had 6 minutes of Flair vs Sarge. Now we have all 35. It just went up and it seems complete. Big find.

Edited by Matt D

This weeks Hidden Gems seems to be based on the Dark Side of the Ring  as we are getting Fritz Von Erich vs the Sheik in 1977 and Bruiser Brody vs Great Kabuki IN A CAGE from 1981.

Edit:  They just added another one with the Von Erichs & Bruiser Brody from 1980 that they are "one of the only surviving episodes of Texas Championship Wrestling"

Edited by hammerva

The next batch of Hidden Gems is all around Andre (so it has my attention)

AWA 11/02/1980 – To Slam a Giant [Duration: 17:40]

Andre the Giant looks to become the recipient of five thousand dollars as he faces Jerry Blackwell in this Bodyslam Challenge Match.

AWA 11/07/1982 – Defying the Odds [Duration: 27:01]

Andre the Giant teams with Hulk Hogan to face Bobby Heenan, Nick Bockwinkel, Ken Patera and Bobby Duncum in this Handicap Match.

WWF 07/20/1984 – The Battle of the Giants [Duration: 14:29]

Andre the Giant goes one-on-one with long time rival Big John Studd from the legendary Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The next batch of Hidden Gems is all around Andre (so it has my attention)

The AWA stuff has been out there in clipped/JIP form but never complete, so I am still super excited in the end for these.

I think Andre vs Studd is completely new? Checking Graham's results it's one of two matches from that Kiel show that didn't air on TV or get commercially released on home video, but I can't remember if this is one of the St Louis shows they eventually aired on WWE 24/7 Classics on Demand. 

• Thanks 1