DVDVR Message Board

UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson II (12/29/2018) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

In any event, I don't think the NSAC is on a best friend basis with the UFC until everything is settled from Conor/Khabib.

But that's not the job of the commission for one. Two, it's not like the UFC was blindsided that NSAC had to intercede on the behalf of the UFC. Three, as I said the night it happened, Nevada is going to go easy on them because ultimately nothing happened. No major damage to the arena. No one was hurt. Not a thing happened. Thus, no one should be shocked they get slaps on the wrist. In addition, it was major drama for a week. It has completely blown over. So when they moved that 12/10 meeting when they had two months to do whatever they were going to do, I knew what was up. So when Okamoto tweeted about Khabib and the commission wanting to come to an agreement before the January hearing, it only confirmed it. So how can the UFC see Nevada as an enemy? They were going to be provisionally suspended anyway. They are going get a stern talking to, a fine, and retroactive suspension so both can be back by early summer. Conor likely wasn't going to come back sooner anyway.  The UFC has been through the song and dance before.

Now, someone stood up to Dana so instead of swapping out the main he ran to LA.  The question becomes was this Dana's call or the new owners?

If they were standing up to Dana, no way would Jon Jones be on the card anyway. They let the UFC put him on a card in Vegas without even having a license. You think they were going to deny his application prior to this news? Not a chance in hell. Nevada got caught with their pants down and made the only choice they could make in this situation. They didn't make a stand. No statement that was made by Bob Bennett could be construed as a stand. This dude didn't say under no circumstances would we allow this fight.  He was seeing that six million dollars go down the toilet. Bennett probably texted every contact in his phone to see if he could get an emergency meeting. It didn't happen. So the UFC called in their favors on Friday and thus they at the Forum now.

Whose call it was is largely irrelevant because I guarantee you there was unanimous agreement that little hitch wasn't going to stop Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson from happening. They will accept a big ass inconvenience and people bitching for a few days over not doing it all.

If he wins, everyone will be all over his drug test and Dana will stand up there making excuses.  

So? That hasn't stopped them in past. Also, they weren't going to do that BEFORE? Did we not experience this last sixteen months? Did I just imagine that?

The best thing would be for Jones to back out of the fight but they pot committed to the move in order to placate Jones.

How are they personally placating Jon Jones? For your first fight back after another long layoff, we're going to put you in with someone who already almost beat you last time. Matter of fact, we're still going to drug test you frequently you have more chances to pop again if you are on something. 

Like I was saying with VADA, people in boxing are somehow clean as shit except one Russian dude, some Mexican fighters, Tyson Fury, and Billy Joe Saunders (FWIW Saunders fought last week after failing a test in SEPTEMBER). Everyone else...clean as a whistle.  If VADA is suppose to be THE premier drug test agency, what is stopping USADA from making ALL of Jon Jones drug tests results show up negative for anything. If people are truly corrupt, they ain't halfway corrupt. They are full fledged corrupt. Look at the AIBA and how their corruption has threatened the chances of boxing in the 2020 Tokyo games. The UFC is placating themselves...but Jon Jones? No because if this was another star in a fight that was going to do business, he or she would get the same treatment. Look at what happened with Danny Garcia vs. Erik Morales on one of the first ever boxing cards at Barclays if not the first one ever. Erik Morales failed two USADA drug tests for Clenbuterol and NYSAC let that fight happen even though they had proper notice. You know why Golden Boy didn't pull Morales? Because they wanted Garcia to have a showcase performance against a faded legend. You know why NYSAC let it happen? At the end of the day, they don't give a shit. Eleven months prior, they let Antonio Margarito fight Miguel Cotto with one eye after Margarito couldn't get a license originally and Bob Arum threatened to take that fight to Southaven, Mississippi. Bob Arum could have gotten a new opponent for Cotto seeing as Cotto is Puerto Rican and a big Puerto Rican superstar who already drew at MSG with no name opponents at that. But I assure you the thought didn't cross his mind since Arum doesn't give a fuck as a promoter and the whole purpose of making that fight was Cotto had to get his win back over Antonio Margarito. The plan wasn't Mike Jones or Pawel Wolak, but Antonio Margarito. Richard Schaefer, Bob Arum, and Dana White all have different philosophies and likely would shank each other if they all got in the same room, but as promoters, there is a through line you best believe. If there was only ONE way for all of those fights to happen, they were going to happen. The fighter names may change, but the promoters stay the same.

I don't fault UFC for moving the card to keep Jones/Gustafsson alive. They are fight promoters. It's like letting Jones fight after testing positive for cocaine, or letting Belfort fight despite having failed a drug test. If given the choice they will go ahead anyway. They are fight promoters.

That's why UFC can't be the organization that makes the rules and does the drug testing. 

4 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I feel for Gustafsson, but whether the cameras were on or not, he didn't ask any questions, and he said OK let's do it. Same for his reps that were there. That's on them. Don't go on MMA Hour and whine about it when you had the UFC President right in front of you and didn't say a peep.

To play the devil's advocate, he really didn't have much of an option. If he decides to "postpone" the fight to March (I'm safely assuming this is in reference to the 3/2 PPV), he would have to start his camp over from scratch and train for an additional two months. That's a lot more money to invest in a camp. In addition, the pending hearing in Nevada with Jones doesn't guarantee that fight goes ahead. If they postpone the hearing for the postponed fight, you just wasted four or five months for a fight that didn't even happen because Jon would not be able to obtain a license until they get that settled.

Going back to Garcia-Morales II...NYSAC basically did to Garcia what Dana did to Gus. The announcement of Morales failing those two tests was on 10/18. The fight was scheduled for 10/20. Keep in mind, this being the first ever boxing card and the first combat sports ever at Barclays Center, they "stacked" (let's be honest...if Garcia-Morales II was the main, it ain't all that stacked) that card with four title fights with the aforementioned Garcia-Morales rematch being the headliner. They were not going to be able to find a suitable opponent on that short a notice, but New York still gave Garcia the option of taking that fight. This being Garcia's first million dollar purse and having already beat Morales before who only was going to be more shot in the rematch anyway made it a no brainer.

I think Gustafsson really wants to fight Jon and sincerely made the choice he felt was right, but knowing the circumstances of this fight and when others have been put in that position, it is more the illusion of choice.

On 12/26/2018 at 11:12 PM, TheVileOne said:

I feel for Gustafsson, but whether the cameras were on or not, he didn't ask any questions, and he said OK let's do it. Same for his reps that were there. That's on them. Don't go on MMA Hour and whine about it when you had the UFC President right in front of you and didn't say a peep.

It is all just a show for the camera.  The real talk happened off camera.

Now matter how many walls of text are written here trying to look important, Jones does not get it and I doubt Dana does at this point.  He just does what the new owners tell him to do.  It is less about fighting and more about the entertainment spectacle at this point.  

Dodging questions at the presser about the positive drug test did little to make the fight more exciting.  If anything, it just taints the final result even more.

Now matter how many walls of text are written here trying to look important

So you don't know what the fuck you're talking about it and have nothing else to reply with other than passive aggressive jabs. Alright.

Champ Champ Huge Balls relinquishes his title and makes a big show of it. 

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/25633875/daniel-cormier-relinquish-ufc-light-heavyweight-title

One good thing about Jon Jones chaos is that it always delivers some good material for Tommy Toe Hold. He really nails the "H'OKAY Jon Jones!" 

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

So you don't know what the fuck you're talking about it and have nothing else to reply with other than passive aggressive jabs. Alright.

At least I don't write walls of text trying to look important while Dana's tool is lodged inside of your mouth instead of actually doing some reporting on JJ's 3 hot piss tests since August and insulting a female journalist who dared question his failed tests.  Please.

This event and the UFC are looking more and more like a circus side show every day.  

4 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

At least I don't write walls of text trying to look important while Dana's tool is lodged inside of your mouth instead of actually doing some reporting on JJ's 3 hot piss tests since August and insulting a female journalist who dared question his failed tests.  Please.

Those "walls of text" are more important any bullshit you think is a point you thought you contributed any time to this subforum. If you don't want to a discuss MMA in the MMA forum, go back to wrestling forum you fucking moronic dipshit. We don't need you here. You don't want actually discuss the fights or events but now you want to be Phil Mushnick. Go take your holier than thou act somewhere else.

I know this concept is too hard to grasp for Mr. Nevada has a problem with UFC. They have a show there 4 or 5 times a year a dumbass and bring the most profitable events year round. What the fuck are you talking about? Even VileOne has more salient points than you.

Since you and Norwegian Rudo are not present here 360 days out of the year, that post I made awhile back was both of you. Hit dogs tend to holler.

Stepping in to call a cease fire between @evilwaldo and @Elsalvajeloco

Anyone else may want to tread carefully in this thread as I will be monitoring it throughout the day and the event itself. Any further sniping will result in some extended breaks.

The fight is happening. Even if you don't like the guy, I think plenty of people are still excited to see him fight Mr. Gustafsson with the hopes of Jones getting his ass beat. No reason to be angry at each other. Chill out. 

• Like 3