DVDVR Message Board

UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson II (12/29/2018) - Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

Elsalvajeloco

ufc-232-jones-vs-gustafsson-tickets_12-2

UFC 232: Jones vs. Gustafsson II 
December 29, 2018
Inglewood, CA (The Forum)

UFC Light Heavyweight Championship: Jon Jones (204) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (204.5) (vacant) -
UFC Women's Featherweight Championship: Cristiane Justino © (144) vs. Amanda Nunes (145) (third defense) - Nunes, KO (punches) R1 (0:51)
Carlos Condit (171) vs. Michael Chiesa (170.5) - Chiesa, SUB (kimura), R2 (0:56)
Ilir Latifi (205.5) vs. Corey Anderson (204.5) - Anderson, DEC (unanimous)
Chad Mendes (146) vs. Alexander Volkanovski (145) - Volkanovski, TKO (punches), R2 (4:14)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Andrei Arlovski (245.5) vs. Walt Harris (258.5) - Harris, DEC (split)
Cat Zingano (144) vs. Megan Anderson (146) - Anderson, TKO (kick), R1 (1:01)
Douglas Silva de Andrade (134.5) vs. Petr Yan (135.5) - Yan, TKO (corner retirement), R2 (5:00)
B.J. Penn (156) vs. Ryan Hall (154) - Hall, SUB (heel hook), R1 (2:46)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Andre Ewell (135.5) vs. Nathaniel Wood (135.5) - Wood, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (4:12)
Uriah Hall (185.5) vs. Bevon Lewis (186) - Hall, KO (punch), R3 (1:32)
Curtis Millender (170) vs. Siyar Bahadurzada (171) - Millender, DEC (unanimous)
Brian Kelleher (135) vs. Montel Jackson (137)* - Jackson, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (1:40)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Ryan Hall
Performance of the Night: Amanda Nunes
Fight of the Night: Chad Mendes vs. Alexander Volkanovski

Attendance: 15,862
Gate: $2.066 million
Buyrate: 700,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Jessica Eye vs. Sijara Eubanks - Eubanks Moved to Another Card
Tom Duquesnoy vs. Nathaniel Wood - Injury to Duquesnoy

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Okay, so reading the story at the link, it sounds like it could be something residual from what he took in 2017. So my immediate very loud "LOLLLLL Jon Jones" reaction was not entirely justified.

Yes, that would be the case.

So Jon will be present at Nevada's January hearing to basically confirm that. 

53 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Okay, so reading the story at the link, it sounds like it could be something residual from what he took in 2017. So my immediate very loud "LOLLLLL Jon Jones" reaction was not entirely justified.

Please, residual my ass.

When even the NSAC is calling bullshit on them, you know UFC and USADA are truly fucking corrupt.

Edit:

UPDATE as of 6:05pm central time:

Jones was tested three times by USADA in 2018. USADA is saying they can’t explain why these trace amounts didn’t show up until this latest one. They are claiming an “unknown natural” factor suppressed the steroid the first three test, but it somehow wasn’t able to suppress the trace amounts this fourt round of testing. (Coincidentally, this last round of tests happened around the time Jones thought he was exempt from the last testing pool).

• Like 3

It's December 23rd today. The fight is on December 29th. Just because Jon Jones is pissing clean today, doesn't mean he won't piss dirty by next Saturday. It's Christmas, he's a party guy. Give him a few drinks and he'll take anything.

Just now, RIPPA said:

I wish there was a recording of when Dana had to tell the CSAC he was just kidding when shitting on them for letting Chuck Lidell fight

California really isn't the position to do that seeing as this UFC show on five or six days notice will do more business than the Fedor vs. Bader show next month in the same venue. Plus, they're likely getting another UFC show in the summer. I don't think they will harbor any ill feelings.

3 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Hard to believe they'd cover for Jon Jones just so they can lose 5 million dollars from the gate.

If the USADA and UFC wanted to skirt this, this could have turned up magically next week. Also, they could have forced Nevada's hand because six million dollars hurts Nevada more than the UFC. We're talking about negligible amount on a non commission test. 

So just to see if I am following this correctly, a very very tiny trace amount of the steroid he originally failed for 15 or so months back showed up in this December 9th test result.  Also none of this substance popped up in any of his other recent tests, and I believe only popped up in one of his samples from last time (as opposed to all of them)?

I can follow a long half-life drug still showing tiny trace amounts well over a year after the fact.  It skipping several of the other tests he took both back then and more recently is... harder to digest.

I dunno man the scientists say it's possible and that this kind of "pulsing" happens. And it also sounds like they don't believe he could have gotten any benefit from this.

I'm choosing to just go with whatever the experts say because a) I don't know much about the science of drug testing and b) I don't actually care about PEDs in sports and don't think less of people who take them. Take 'em all, I say  

52 minutes ago, Ace said:

Has Jones ever been established as being a draw on his own? 

Light Heavyweight has always been star or at least notable name heavy. His three lowest were OSP on three weeks notice (322k), Gustafsson I (310k) and Glover (350k). That's basically high end Manny Pacquiao or Floyd numbers pre De La Hoya so I would consider that a success. He did 450k with Belfort. Is he a mega draw? Yeah, in a big grudge match against DC. Is he a bigger draw on PPV than anyone currently active not named McGregor and Canelo? Yes. Just below him is Cyborg, Cormier, Khabib (on the strength on that Brooklyn show overperforming), Dillashaw (on the strength of 227), and now Holloway (on the strength of 218 and 231). Whittaker did a solid number in the Romero rematch so he maybe on the cusp. Everyone else is an anti-draw especially Nunes and Woodley now that DJ is gone. I would put Cejudo, Valentina, and Rose in the undecided category.

If they can somehow break a couple of those guys out of the middle of the pack and get them into the 400k-500k range, the UFC would make an absurd amount of money on top of the absurd amount of money they will get for the ESPN TV deal. Hence why it's extremely important for them to get off on the right foot on ESPN. If they negotiate for a bigger cut of the PPV like what was rumored to be happening then it's game over. I think even if the new cut was 60-40 in favor of the UFC, they would be happy with that. I think 70-30 would only happen if Canelo stayed on DAZN and there was no hope for Mayweather-Pac II. Plus, the earliest a potential Joshua-Wilder fight could take place is the summer of 2020. Even then, they would be careful schedule around Canelo's Cinco de Mayo fight and the Tokyo games.

But anyway, I would say yes that Jon is draw by himself. However, like everyone else, it is best to have the proper dance partner. Nothing would compare to the business of a third fight with DC.

3 hours ago, username said:

So just to see if I am following this correctly, a very very tiny trace amount of the steroid he originally failed for 15 or so months back showed up in this December 9th test result.  Also none of this substance popped up in any of his other recent tests, and I believe only popped up in one of his samples from last time (as opposed to all of them)?

I can follow a long half-life drug still showing tiny trace amounts well over a year after the fact.  It skipping several of the other tests he took both back then and more recently is... harder to digest.

Simple.  He forgot to take one round of his masking agent.  Oops.

• Like 2