DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

Mike Nesmith is one of the most under appreciated people in modern music history. He was writing country rock before Graham Parsons broke in with the Byrds. Sweet Young Thing, Papa Gene's Blues, What Am I Doing Hanging Around, You Just May Be the One, and While I Cry are all seminal country rock songs.

RIP Papa Nez.

The most incredible thing, to me, about Michael Nesmith is his lyrics. He's so stuck in a world of intangibles that no one really compares to him. Even when he brings in physical objects and such, he's still talking about his thoughts and feelings rather than poetic [i]images[/i]. Dylan's rise was raw lucifer in hindsight. If His Bobness hadn't risen up as a societal voice in an uproarious political climate, Michael Nesmith would have ruled as an American voice of the people. His songs seem to exist in a Dylan-less vacuum, and that can't be said for Lennon, Van Zandt, Van the Man, Hendrix, Hartford, etc.

He was both McCartney and Cash, Texas and California, a star and a nobody, psychedelic and traditional - and everyone else who can claim those dichotomies was also Dylanesque. Not Nesmith. Nesmith could have taken Woody and Hank and put them together, he never needed Dylan to do it first --and if you say he did, as on say "Roll with the Flow", it still sounds uniquely Nez and not so Dylanesque as other country-rock pioneers like Paul Siebel, Jerry Jeff, The Byrds, The Flatlanders; only Dylanesque in form and more Harlan Howard by-way-of Buck Owens than Nashville Skyline.

I haven't listened to Mike in a long time because I knew he was not well, and I didn't want to fall under his spell only for it to end in death, but yesterday still hit me harder than I expected. 

Cheers, Mike. Your records still sound like they're from the future, and you were so good. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cubbymark said:

Rest In Peace. Atlantis used this as entrance music, most notably in his mask match vs Último Guerrero.

I've always wanted to see an American wrestler use this in Mexico, just for the Godzilla-level heel heat they could pull. QEPD Chente.

Leonard "Hub" Hubbard, a former longtime bassist of hip-hop band The Roots, has died at the age of 62, the group said Thursday.

"It’s with the heaviest of hearts that we say goodbye to our brother Leonard Nelson Hubbard," the Philadelphia -based band said in a statement posted to its official Twitter account.

?  RIP Hub and Malik.

Edited by J.T.

On 2/14/2021 at 6:17 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Nicki Minaj's father was killed earlier this weekend in a hit and run on Long Island.  

Police are investigating. 

A 67 year old man has been indicted for the hit and run that killed Nikki Minaj's father and tampering with evidence.  

There is apparently surveillance video of the accident, showing the driver getting out, seeing what he'd done and leaving the scene.  He apparently tried to hide the car when he got hom. 

• Sad 1

Kangol Kid, a member of the legendary hip-hop group UTFO, has died after a battle with colon cancer. He was 55.

The family of Kangol Kid — whose real name is Shaun Shiller Fequiere — said in a statement that he died peacefully around 3 a.m. Saturday at a hospital in Manhasset, New York. He was diagnosed with cancer in February.

Kid was known for often sporting the popular Kangol headwear and being a member of UTFO, which stands for Untouchable Force Organization. The four-member group was known for 1980s hits including “Roxanne, Roxanne” and “Ya Cold Wanna Be With Me.”

RIP

Edited by J.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Ronnie hurts. A survivor of things I can't imagine, a talent as cool and human and resonant as you could ever hope to have. Be My Baby is the best American pop song ever recorded. I love that her legacy lives with the punks. I love that 1999 EP she did where she covered all the people who worshiped her

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Ronnie hurts. A survivor of things I can't imagine, a talent as cool and human and resonant as you could ever hope to have. Be My Baby is the best American pop song ever recorded. I love that her legacy lives with the punks. I love that 1999 EP she did where she covered all the people who worshiped her

My wife was not aware that the Ronnie in Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight was her.

This led to me taking her down a YouTube rabbithole of Ronnie's career that culminated in an appearance on Sha Na Na, which led to another deep dive.

R.I.P. Ronnie

• Like 3