DVDVR Message Board

Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess this is the best place for this

Fez Whatley of Ron & Fez fame has passed away

My fave Fez line was when East Side Dave got branded live on air and there was smoke coming off as it was happening he goes "We have a new Pope!".

On 8/20/2021 at 7:59 PM, jstout said:

He probably deserves his own thread, but Tom T. Hall died.

Dang, that one hurts.  I'll play "I Love" for my son till he gets annoyed at his dad for being a giant old sap.  Then I'll keep playing it anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert C said:

Dang, that one hurts.  I'll play "I Love" for my son till he gets annoyed at his dad for being a giant old sap.  Then I'll keep playing it anyway.

Might be a better choice than "I Like Beer," but that's open for debate. He'd probably like "Sneaky Snake."

• Like 1

That's creepy. Yesterday I was rifling through my bag of patches/pins/stickers which is in a shoebox right behind a stack of 45s that my mom found in storage. When I was taking out the bag I noticed the very last one was an Everly Brothers single ("Muskrat"/"Don't Blame Me"). Now I have to listen to that.

One of my buddies is a full-on ska/reggae fan so we used to get drunk and listen to this while surfing through Youtube. 

Really holds up as an '80s pop single. 

RIP to the best backbeat drummer of all time.

Also famous story where a drunken Mick Jagger phoned down to Watts hotel room and demanded that "his" drummer get to his room now. Watts showered, shaved and got dressed in an impeccable suit. Went and knocked on the door... Jagger answered and Watts knocked him the fuck out. Watts then said "I'm not your drummer, you're my singer." He then walked away.

• Like 5

I just looked up the Everlys single (it's actually "Muskrat"/"Lucille"/"Don't Blame Me"/"Walk Right Back") on Discogs. It's from 1961 and goes for $40 a pop if mint. Mine is definitely one of the two dollar copies however. All four songs are pretty cool golden age rock'n'roll; I honestly didn't remember what the brothers even sounded like.  

RIP Charlie Watts

I am totally flummoxed.   I for one did not have Charlie Watts going first in the Rolling Stones death pool.  I was certain that Ron Wood or Keith Richards would've gone first.

Edited by J.T.

I'd heard about them touring without him and thought that was strange. The photos of him on the news have him looking incredibly frail. 

The Stones movie that Scorcese put together with all the old clips and current live footage from I think 2017 or so was on TV the other day and they looked vital as ever. You can't outrun the reaper though... hell, just look at Lemmy. 

RIP

Jesus fucking Christ. I get off Facebook for two days and come back to find out that Eric Wagner from Trouble and The Skull died over the weekend of Covid. 

I saw him live last month. He was unvaccinated. 

And he was playing with the Obsessed, who had their singer/guitarist Wino flip out in Vegas and refuse to play because he's an anti-vax wackadoo. 

I seriously hope this underlines some things for some people. 

RIP