Shine On - Musicians RIP Thread

Dolfan in NYC

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2020 at 12:34 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Well, in following with the last one...

RIP Billy Joe Shaver 

which I guess happened Wednesday. 

Crazy motherfucker...

Crap, I did not see this till now.  Wish I hadn't seen it at all.  Not many folks shoot somebody in the face after a concert (and after asking they guy "where do you want it?"), go to trial, call Willie Nelson as a witness, get acquitted and then write a song about it.  Only ever got to see him live at Willie's picnic.  

I guess this'd make about as good an epitaph as any, with his late son on guitar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just fuck this year! I'm still getting over John Prine passing and now we've lost one of my guitar heroes. Leslie West could come out and sit down and blow pretty much anyone off the stage. His like will not pass this way again in my lifetime.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

RIP to Leslie. Climbing and Nantucket Sleighride are awesome. It's a shame the only thing Mountain ever got known for is "Mississippi Queen". 

Not that there's anything wrong with  "Mississippi Queen", but "Nantucket Sleighride" is the best album that Felix Pappalardi ever produced and that's saying something. RIP big man, you will be missed!

Ah, to be 16 again driving around at midnight with  "Mississippi Queen" blasting on the tape-deck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sad to report that bassist Tim Bogert passed away yesterday. A founding member of Vanilla Fudge and Cactus he really lit it up in the super group Beck, Bogert & Appice. While it seems to be customary to automatically declare Cream to be the best power trio ever, B,B & A certainly make it an interesting discussion as while Ginger Baker is clearly the greatest drummer who has ever lived, Carmine Appice isn't exactly chopped liver, Clapton wishes he was the virtuoso that Jeff Beck is; and Tim Bogert edges Jack Bruce as a bass player, but it's when you compare them as vocalists, Bogert just blows him away...