DVDVR Message Board

2019 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP

RIPPA

I thought Nederlands had a pretty strong first half. But once the first goal happened that was it for them. Even if it was a foregone conclusion for many I'm still incredibly happy for the US team winning. And especially for Megan Rapinoe who I just absolutely love. Hopefully they get paid what they deserve. 

What chance did they have to score on that play? None. Morgan had already had the ball bounce off of her, and she wasn't going to get to it. Therefore, it was a non-chance.

A foot in the arm is obviously a foul, but I don't like penalties being given when you aren't preventing a goal scoring chance, because it basically gives the team a goal they were not going to get otherwise. I feel like the ref had it correct originally, no call, and tell the Dutch woman that she's getting a yellow on her next foul. If Morgan was actually possessing the ball and got kicked, then yellow and a penalty is the call no doubt.

I'm hoping this tournament was a wake-up call for the Canada's National program, because "kick it long to Christine, she's really good and scores a lot" is clearly no longer a viable way to win games. There's a lot of talent in the pipeline, I just hope they start playing some more creative, attacking soccer in the future.