DVDVR Message Board

UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega (12/8/2018) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Scotiabank Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Dp1Gs4jX0AAs8tJ.jpg?1539914470

UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega 
December 8, 2018
Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Scotiabank Arena)

UFC Featherweight Championship: Max Holloway © (144.5vs. Brian Ortega (145) (second defense) - Holloway, TKO (doctor stoppage), R4 (5:00)
UFC Women's Flyweight Championship: Valentina Shevchenko (123.5) vs. Joanna Jędrzejczyk (124) (vacant) - Shevchenko, DEC (unanimous)
Alex Oliveira (171) vs. Gunnar Nelson (170) - Nelson, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:17)
Hakeem Dawodu (146) vs. Kyle Bochniak (145) - Dawodu, DEC (split)
Jimi Manuwa (205) vs. Thiago Santos (206) - Santos, KO (punches), R2 (0:41)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Cláudia Gadelha (115.5) vs. Nina Ansaroff (115.5) - Ansaroff, DEC (unanimous)
Olivier Aubin-Mercier (156) vs. Gilbert Burns (156) - Burns, DEC (split)
Katlyn Chookagian (126) vs. Jessica Eye (126) - Eye, DEC (split)
Eryk Anders (186) vs. Elias Theodorou (184.5) - Theodorou, DEC (split)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Brad Katona (135.5) vs. Matthew Lopez (135.5) - Katona, DEC (unanimous)
Chad Laprise (171) vs. Dhiego Lima (170.5) - Lima, KO (punch), R1 (1:37)
Carlos Diego Ferreira (156) vs. Kyle Nelson (155.5) - Ferreira, TKO (punches), R2 (1:23)
Devin Clark (205) vs. Aleksandar Rakić (206) - Rakić, TKO (punches), R1 (4:05)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Thiago Santos
Performance of the Night:  Max Holloway
Fight of the Night: Max Holloway vs. Brian Ortega

Attendance: 19,039
Gate$2.48 million
Buyrate: 270,000

Cancelled Bouts:
Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Elias Theodorou - Injury to Carlos Júnior 
Renato Carneiro vs. Mirsad Bektić - Injury to Bektić 
John Makdessi vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira - Injury to Makdessi
Carlos Diego Ferreira vs. Jesse Ronson - Ronson Removed Due to Medical Concern

God, I hope everyone makes weight and doesn't get hurt.  These two main events are totally fucking sick.  I can't wait for the card. 

Two guys at the top of their game going at it and two ladies that are bona fide killers in the ring about to kick the living shit out of each other.

• Like 1

For me, this fight for Ortega feels like it's going to go one of two ways. Either it's his crowning moment ala Jon Jones cruising to victory over Shogun to win his first championship or it will be like when GSP stumbled and lost to Matt Hughes where he wasn't quite ready.

Either way, Ortega looks like he's going to dominate the division sooner or later. I'm also not sure how much I like that. I not a big fan of the guy, but his skills are undeniably impressive.

• Like 1

I'm not terribly impressed with Eryk Anders or his shitty gas tank.  Thiago Santos really exposed Anders's suspect cardio when he dragged that ass into deep water this past September at the Fight Night card in Brazil.

Is this Elias Theodorou guy a credible fighter or is a tomato can that Dana brought in to repair Anders's marketability?

Tim Williams would've beaten Anders, but he got overconfident and sloppy and got his head punted off.  If anything, Anders has power, killer instinct, and he fights to finish, but those things can only get you so far.

8 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm not terribly impressed with Eryk Anders or his shitty gas tank.  Thiago Santos really exposed Anders's suspect cardio when he dragged that ass into deep water this past September at the Fight Night card in Brazil.

He fought that fight on extremely late notice. Jimi Manuwa got hurt the Sunday before the fight. The fact he fought that well with no camp was very impressive. He did the UFC big favor taking that fight.

Anders is a great athlete but still a bit raw. I think he beats Theodorou though.