DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

You try too hard.

The differences between then and now are fairly irrelevant, in the same way that we all kinda knew already that Hogan was pretty, pretty racist even before the leaked tapes. I get that you're trying to push through your super woke and snarky political POV through (in italics no less), and have another dig at me, but this isn't a pro-Trump post at all. It's saying that at some point or another, it's likely to happen, and right now it is beneficial for both parties, irrespective of whether it is a good idea. 

You could have saved yourself some typing by just saying, "No, I don't get the difference."

• Like 1

When just the idea of it happening gets people this riled up, now I really want to see him come out and cut the mother of all heel promos on a Boston crowd.

...Realistically that won't happen. They'll bring him in, whether it's before he's acquitted, or after to try and rehabilitate his image, he'll beat up a Drake Maverick type guy, or probably even pin the Revival, and it's going to get shit on. And it will get a rating.

28 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

The differences between then and now are fairly irrelevant, in the same way that we all kinda knew already that Hogan was pretty, pretty racist even before the leaked tapes. I get that you're trying to push through your super woke and snarky political POV through (in italics no less), and have another dig at me, but this isn't a pro-Trump post at all. It's saying that at some point or another, it's likely to happen, and right now it is beneficial for both parties, irrespective of whether it is a good idea. 

WWE has avoided mentioning that the sitting president of the country is in their hall of fame for two years now. Things would need to be way worse than they are now to start even acknowledging he exist.

34 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

You try too hard.

Again, that's something you don't get either.

Regardless of your political preference, Trump showing up on WWE programming again wouldn't just be a problem since any political storyline in today's climate- whether right-wing OR left-wing-  would immediately cut the WWE ratings in half.

The bigger fact here is simple: TRUMP WOULD NEVER DO IT. Not because he doesn't need some benefit, but because it's RASSLIN, and WWE just couldn't get a major name in the world to agree to show up at a wrestling show. MAYBE Trump would show up, with his Democratic opponent, for Smackdown Your Vote purposes in 2020, but that's kind of lost its fizz over the years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Use a studio with paid people clapping.

I hate doubleposting, but the problem when you respond to a previous page one, but...honestly over the summer when some idiot caught some steam alleging that WWE was going to pay people in the crowd to cheer Roman Reigns, this seemed like a great concept for the future of WWE.

If WWE were going to go to a new model of: "We will give people the option of free admission to WWE shows in certain sections that will make television, and/or free merchandise at the merch stand. In exchange for this, however, the second an audience member agrees to take compensation, whether in merch or in free admission, they will be legally considered an extra on the show, and as such WWE will have the right to tell that person how to cheer or boo in the matches", that seems like it would make a lot of sense.

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Again, that's something you don't get either.

Regardless of your political preference, Trump showing up on WWE programming again wouldn't just be a problem since any political storyline in today's climate- whether right-wing OR left-wing-  would immediately cut the WWE ratings in half.

The bigger fact here is simple: TRUMP WOULD NEVER DO IT. Not because he doesn't need some benefit, but because it's RASSLIN, and WWE just couldn't get a major name in the world to agree to show up at a wrestling show. MAYBE Trump would show up, with his Democratic opponent, for Smackdown Your Vote purposes in 2020, but that's kind of lost its fizz over the years.

Immediately cut the ratings in half? As if to say the sitting President turning up on live TV, on the hallmark of trash TV, and people'll will react by turning off the TV or switching the channel to watch a Simpsons re-run instead?

I agree, it's unlikely, for the reasons that Victator said, (and also because the FOX switch is a while off), but I don't think it's out of the question either. I didn't even realize the Smackdown Your Vote thing still happened. Guy's a desperate man, and RAW's ratings are in the toilet, I'm not even sure if Linda's the longest serving member of his cabinet by now. Him turning up and not really doing anything of note other than being there changes the narrative about whether he's going to jail or not, far better than anything else they've tried so far to do just that.

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

Immediately cut the ratings in half? As if to say the sitting President turning up on live TV, on the hallmark of trash TV, and people'll will react by turning off the TV or switching the channel to watch a Simpsons re-run instead?

Yes. Yes it would.

Political discourse is so divided in the United States right now that if someone declares their political affiliation in any way, shape, or form, half the country will immediately rally behind them as a modern-day hero, and the other half of the country will instantly hate them forever. 

If Trump showed up on Raw, every fan who considers themselves left-wing will instantly change the channel and never come back, but every right-wing fan would say WWE is the greatest show of all time and every real American would watch this.

The same would happen if Bernie Sanders showed up on Raw, except the right-wingers would change the channel and the left-wingers would rally behind WWE.

Nobody has said the correct thing about what would happen.  If the God Emperor did show up, it would be the highest rated RAW of all time, have the largest live attendance of the building it runs in, and would also be the shortest RAW of all time because a riot that would make prime Tijuana Lucha shows look like a Church Picnic would break out shutting the whole thing down.  Because the crowd in that situation couldn't be controlled and half would show up because he rarely ever shows up in a situation where he hasn't bought the whole crowd one way or the other, and the other half would be people he bought off one way or the other, and everyone would tune in to see the chaos.

That's also if said riot doesn't start before the show airs and kills it all dead.