DVDVR Message Board

WWE Starrcade 2018 Special

Web Conn

Starrcade is essentially the Wrestlemania before Wrestlemania so I thought this deserved it's own thread.

The production of this show was very different from Raw or Smackdown and I think that was beneficial to the overall presentation.

It looked really different, I also like how the commentators didn't have to plug social media every 15 seconds and just called the matches.

Crowd was hotter than the average Raw or Smackdown too. it looked like a packed house full of people having an awesome time

The Elias Concert was cool, Flair is getting old man. It is awesome to see him especially after he almost died last year but it took him a minute to the ring, but onc ehe had that mic brother it was 35 years ago. Throughout this show I do love the ECW style bleed ins segment to segment. Nia Jax and the heel team come out. Ric looked like this was gonna turn into a sex orgy or something. Nia is the biggest heel in the company right now after breaking Becky's face. Her singing poorly during Elias' song and not knowing she was a bad singer is a classic heel move.

That 8 women match was good. Baylay played Ricky Morton for the heels, everyone got their shit in and Sasha won the Match for her team making Alicia Fox tap to the Bank Statement.

In Network Special of the past they are presented as standalone almost non canon to Raw and Smackdown but during the Miz TV segment the big angle being pushed was Randy's assault to Rey at the end of that past weeks Smackdown. Rey was in a soft neck brace, Nakamura said he enjoyed watching Randy kick Reys ass, Miz laughed at Rey. Furthering the bigger angle of Rey vs Randy Orton while also adding heat towards the match between Nakamura and Rey on this show.

I do think it's cool to have the United States Championship, the championship that dates back 35 years ago to the first Starrcade defended on this show. Nakamura vs Rey I liked, Ilike Nakamura's bored nihilist character, Nak attacking an injured Rey before the match from behind, he keep up the attack with knees and kicks keeping Rey grounded. Rey would counter a move after a couple Minutes but Nakamura would also regain control quickly. This changes as Rey baseball slides out of the ring, jumps off the top, Nak ducks and Rey hits Miz at ringside by Mizstake (get it?). Rey takes control in the ring, sets up the 619 and Miz grabs Rey's leg and pulls him out of the ring. Nak and Miz double team Rey. Rusev makes the save and the crowd losses their minds. It is Rusev Day after all.

The tag match between Miz and Nakamura vs Rey and Rusev was your standard tag match. I don't mean that disperingly it was a good match just nothing out of the ordinary. Rey played Ricky Morton in the heel corner, hot tag, Rusev dominates Miz, double 619, Rusev hits the machka kick on Miz for the 3.

So there's some kick back about this not really being Starrcade. Well it isn't 1986 Crockett because it can't be 1986 Crockett. I do believe if crockett was still around today AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe would would be the main event of a Starrcade. Albeit for the world championship and more blood but it would still be in a steel cage, well one of the Starrcades they main evented together. The match was really good, Joe and AJ have it down to a science by now. I do like how they incorporated uses the cage as a weapon. This wasn't about escaping the cage this was about be in a cage with someone who just wanna kick the shit out of on both sides. That to me always makes for the better cage match. Joe taps, he needs to win a major match soon. I'm surprised he hasn't won a secondary championship yet. The US title is right there. 

I liked this show. It wasn't Starrcade of the old but it felt like something different than Raw and Smackdown. It felt more pro wrasslin than it did sports entertainment. I very much enjoyed that. The two none wrestling segments were down in the ring, no backstage, and both times it led into the next match. it served the wrestling. it was a breath of fresh air of what you normally see on WWE tv. Thats always what Crockett/WCW felt like to me , an entirely different presentation from the WWF. I know this is WWE produced and featured the same stars on Raw and Smackdown but the overall atmosphere was different. The crowd for one was hotter than some Raws are. it was a fun hour of wrestling. It felt like we were peeking into what a WWe Live Event looks like. 

• Like 1