DVDVR Message Board

NXT UK TAKEOVER: Blackpool (01/12/19)

RIPPA

The card was set at the UK tapings that occurred the last two days. No official time table when the episodes will air but here is the card

Spoiler

UK Championship: Pete Dunne (C) vs. Joe Coffey

Finals of UK Tag Title Tournament: Moustache Mountain (Tyler Bate/Trent Seven) vs. Grizzled Young Veterans (Zack Gibson/James Drake)

UK Women's Championship: Rhea Ripley (C) vs. Toni Storm

Dave Mastiff vs. Eddie Dennis - NO DQ

There might be one more match added to this

• Like 1

As someone who knows nothing about the UK indy scene outside of what's been exposed in NXT USA, I can say I'm very excited to be getting up to watch this at 6am on a Sunday.

I know Dunne and Bate, Seven to a lesser extent. Excited to watch the full card and broaden my wrestling palate a little more.

On 1/5/2019 at 2:54 AM, Phil4126 said:

i'm all in on the card, although I'd rather see Gibson moved up the ladder asap. That dude is money. SHOES OFF IF YOU HATE GIBSON

Gibson does little for me in the ring though I do like what he brings outside of it. I wouldn't be shocked if he is the one who actually dethrones Dunne.

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

As someone who knows nothing about the UK indy scene outside of what's been exposed in NXT USA, I can say I'm very excited to be getting up to watch this at 6am on a Sunday.

I know Dunne and Bate, Seven to a lesser extent. Excited to watch the full card and broaden my wrestling palate a little more.

I suggest checking out the matches and segments of the last 6 episodes that focus on everyone on the card not named Jordan Devlin.

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Wait, what's wrong with Devlin?

Nothing per say, I just can't get into his matches for whatever reason. If you like him definitely take your time for his stuff since he did get a title match with Dunne.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I think this might be when Pete Dunne's 600+ day run as WWE United Kingdom Champion ends, to make a statement at the first TakeOver for the NXT UK brand.

I'd probably book it to have Coffey win due to outside interference from WALTER. That gives you a couple of months of Dunne feuding with the monster and then facing Coffey to get his belt back. Far as I'm concerned, they need to build this fed around Dunne just as JCP was built around Flair, the main difference is, book your flagship strong, Dunne should never lose except due to outside interference or other chicanery.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

I'm expecting him to do more than appear.

Yeah, I don't think that having a big guy with man-boobs sitting in the front row making faces is going to put meat in the seats for the next show.

15 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I'd probably book it to have Coffey win due to outside interference from WALTER. That gives you a couple of months of Dunne feuding with the monster and then facing Coffey to get his belt back. Far as I'm concerned, they need to build this fed around Dunne just as JCP was built around Flair, the main difference is, book your flagship strong, Dunne should never lose except due to outside interference or other chicanery.

In full agreement, @OSJ. Pete Dunne's the guy to go with. Like how Pete Dunne wants to hurt the opponent, manipulating body parts. Bruiser Weight is a fitting nickname

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

In full agreement, @OSJ. Pete Dunne's the guy to go with. Like how Pete Dunne wants to hurt you, manipulating body parts. Bruiser Weight is a fitting nickname

As you know, Pete Dunne is one of my three favorite wrestlers in the world today (and the only one who isn't Japanese), he's the perfect tweener, he certainly isn't a sympathetic babyface, and he isn't really a heel. He's a hard bastard that comes to fuck you up, which is a page that more wrestlers should include in their playbook as opposed to pulling faces and admiring themselves on the overhead monitor, like some I could name. Dunne is really the Brit version of Harley Race; when I was a late-teen and twenty-something, the answer to the question "If you could have one person in the world to have your back in a bar-fight, who would it be?" And considering that I spent some of those years as a bartender/bouncer at some fairly nasty places, the question had a bit of meaning. The answer, without hesitation was "Harley Race".

If asked the question now, (leaving aside that I'm too old for such shenanigans), the answer would be "Pete Dunne". 

• Like 3

Speaking of people “appearing” - Charlotte posted on social media about getting on a flight so she would be at the show so I am assuming they are gonna have a couple of main roster folks in the crowd

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

As you know, Pete Dunne is one of my three favorite wrestlers in the world today (and the only one who isn't Japanese), he's the perfect tweener, he certainly isn't a sympathetic babyface, and he isn't really a heel. He's a hard bastard that comes to fuck you up, which is a page that more wrestlers should include in their playbook as opposed to pulling faces and admiring themselves on the overhead monitor, like some I could name. Dunne is really the Brit version of Harley Race; when I was a late-teen and twenty-something, the answer to the question "If you could have one person in the world to have your back in a bar-fight, who would it be?" And considering that I spent some of those years as a bartender/bouncer at some fairly nasty places, the question had a bit of meaning. The answer, without hesitation was "Harley Race".

If asked the question now, (leaving aside that I'm too old for such shenanigans), the answer would be "Pete Dunne". 

Counterpoint: Have you seen Dunne throw punches in a melee? The weakest part of his game. 

I love Dunne, but he looks like a skinny wannabe when it's melee time. I wish someone would advise him to tighten that up. 

In order to understand why this is so damn funny,  the #WeSupportToniStorm hashtag was started when someone hacked Toni and released a bunch of naked pictures and videos of her.   That is why her social media is pretty much gone.   Tons of fans showed their support including a bunch of wrestlers

7 hours ago, OSJ said:

. Far as I'm concerned, they need to build this fed around Dunne just as JCP was built around Flair, the main difference is, book your flagship strong, Dunne should never lose except due to outside interference or other chicanery.

So like how the Midwest was booked around Dick the Bruiser, basically?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Speaking of people “appearing” - Charlotte posted on social media about getting on a flight so she would be at the show so I am assuming they are gonna have a couple of main roster folks in the crowd

Bálor is at the opening of the new UK Performance Center, so I expect he'll be in the crowd as well.

I don't see how WALTER fits on this show aside from being shown ringside as NXT UK's newest signee.

Also, please sign Thatcher.

Well you can say that about all of these Takeover debuts that are always in the front row.  I mean was there any real reason for Matt Riddle or Keith Lee or Ricochet to be in the front row of that particular show

Now if you are saying that you don't see how WALTER fits on the overall show, jesus christ watch him wrestle and them imagine him in the ring with guys like Pete Dunne and Dave Mastiff.  He is the ultimate HOSS 

With the PROGRESS camp writing these shows, I fully expect WALTER to debut at Takeover and join Aichner & Barthel in forming the European Union group either at Takeover or the following night during the tapings, similar to the Ringkampf stable sans Timothy Thatcher. 

I also expect him to bulldoze the winner of the title match.

European Union, Gallus & British Strong Style as your WWE UK factions sounds like a bunch of fun.

I'm going to this show. There's something special about the Empress ballroom. Not just how spectacular it looks visually, but the acoustics too. It's the same venue NXT ran on their first UK tour, such event had fans serenading American Alpha (RIP ?) with 20 solid minutes worth of chants, to the point where they had to stop the match and digest exactly what was going on. It was also the venue of the first UK tournament which was universally praised. It's no surprise they're going back there. Seeing the likes of Balor, Shawn & Hunter popping over for the show has injected some well needed buzz into the show. The card looks good, and with the rumors WALTER could debut, I expect it to be one of those shows similar to the first NXT Takeover that propels the UK brand into some kind of relevancy. As let's face it, the brand has been treading water since it's inception. It needs something to happen in a big way.

• Like 1