DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

Ya know, for all the shit that TNA gets (and rightfully so) for not making new stars, WWE's been doing a pretty piss-poor job in that area too.

Hell, in 2012, TNA actually did it better with Austin Aries.

• Like 1

I'm fine with Goldberg vs. Ryback being a squash as long as Goldberg is the one jobbing.

Yeah, I cannot see any good coming from Goldberg beating Ryback. Just pay him whatever to make Ryback look good.

How long is Brock's contract for? It seems like he is not the big draw they hoped him to be. He's had good matches, but they don't seem to translate well to a larger audience.

I am curious about this though:

SummerSlam 2013: 296,000

SummerSlam 2012: 358,000

SummerSlam 2011: 296,000

SummerSlam 2010: 350,000

SummerSlam 2009: 369,000

SummerSlam 2008: 477,000

SummerSlam 2007: 537,000

SummerSlam 2006: 529,000

I still think it is partially because of poor booking. Bryan went from comedy tag team champ to #1 contender really quickly. Now it is all about Show/HHH/Orton.

So it did nearly an identical number to 2011, after 2012 halted the downward slide.

Maybe it's just a case that they hadn't killed off Brock's drawing power yet, and he pushed the show up last year, but has fallen off this year?  Cause you take 2012 out of there, and 2013 manages to hold steady with 2011, after years of steady drops.

*shrug*

• Like 1

I'm fine with Goldberg vs. Ryback being a squash as long as Goldberg is the one jobbing.

Yeah, I cannot see any good coming from Goldberg beating Ryback. Just pay him whatever to make Ryback look good.

How long is Brock's contract for? It seems like he is not the big draw they hoped him to be. He's had good matches, but they don't seem to translate well to a larger audience.

I am curious about this though:

SummerSlam 2013: 296,000

SummerSlam 2012: 358,000

SummerSlam 2011: 296,000

SummerSlam 2010: 350,000

SummerSlam 2009: 369,000

SummerSlam 2008: 477,000

SummerSlam 2007: 537,000

SummerSlam 2006: 529,000

I still think it is partially because of poor booking. Bryan went from comedy tag team champ to #1 contender really quickly. Now it is all about Show/HHH/Orton.

So it did nearly an identical number to 2011, after 2012 halted the downward slide.

Maybe it's just a case that they hadn't killed off Brock's drawing power yet, and he pushed the show up last year, but has fallen off this year?  Cause you take 2012 out of there, and 2013 manages to hold steady with 2011, after years of steady drops.

*shrug*

You know who the special guest referee in the SummerSlam 2011 main was, when it dropped 54,000 buys from 2010? Triple H.

You know who main evented Extreme Rules against Brock Lesnar, and drew 32,000 fewer buys than the year before? Triple H.

Who was the penultimate match against Brock at WM 29, which drew 200,000 fewer buys than last year? Triple H.

Am I saying Hunter's responsible for these drops? No. I'm just pointing out that you can build any number of cases for different people's presence/absence/position on the card affecting buyrates.

Is it possible that booking also hurts? I mean in 2010, Nexus was a bunch of nobies but the booking wasn't confusing and protected them. No one got exposed for being worst than they are and each guy (even Otunga and Young) were treated like they were important.

If you have a character built around "who the fuck are you?" Which includes someone on air saying it, it shouldn't be a surprise when viewers think the same think.

Has the WWE PPV schedule always been as excessive as it is nowadays?  Them having 3 ppvs in 2 months, most of which aren't all that built up or made to feel much more important than a Raw episode probably doesn't do much to increase buyrates.  It's also becoming increasingly easy to find them streaming online for free.

Has the WWE PPV schedule always been as excessive as it is nowadays?  Them having 3 ppvs in 2 months, most of which aren't all that built up or made to feel much more important than a Raw episode probably doesn't do much to increase buyrates.  It's also becoming increasingly easy to find them streaming online for free.

It actually used to be worse, they were just much better at hiding it when the brand split was around. It really just seems stupid to shoot themselves in the foot all through the fall season with that schedule when they could just put a PPV in March.