DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

He could have grown up loving it. Or he wants to own his father's legacy. I think his grandparents blame wrestling more than anybody else. I can't even imagine how he feels. It is hard enough losing a parent before you are even twenty, but to have him die the way his father did. 

Imagine ECW were still in business today ...

Imagine the Benoit tragedies still occurred ...

Imagine the "smart mark" chants that would follow David Benoit well into the rest of his pro wrestling career ...

Imagine that you can hate markdom more than you think you do now ...

• Like 1

This all reminds me - this weekend at the conference I was at, one of the kids attending was named Chris Benoit.

And I remember thinking "Hoo boy - that must suck."

But none of my co-workers remembered the name until after I explained the details.

Imagine the "smart mark" chants that would follow David Benoit well into the rest of his pro wrestling career ...

Why do we have to imagine ECW still being in business?  There are still plenty of smarks out there.  Witness the day after Mania.

This all reminds me - this weekend at the conference I was at, one of the kids attending was named Chris Benoit.

And I remember thinking "Hoo boy - that must suck."

But none of my co-workers remembered the name until after I explained the details.

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode.

• Like 1

He was probably a super cool well liked dude that had absolutely no murderous past. Then you tell everybody who Chris Beniot the wrestler is, and everybody starts looking at him differently. The following day he's been fired, his wife left him, and now he swears one day that he'll kill you.

I feel like if London and Kendrick were still in WWE they'd have some really great Southern style tag matches against the Real Americans.  Either one of those guys is a great face in peril and Claudio can take their flippy stuff and make it look great.  Actually, Swagger always had fun matches with smaller guys like Rey so I'm sure he'd do well too.

• Like 1

Why do we have to imagine ECW still being in business?  There are still plenty of smarks out there.  Witness the day after Mania.

There are admittedly fewer "holy shit" chants.  Also, fewer "you fucked up" chants.  Not as many "she's a crack whore" chants either.  I only mentioned ECW for that context, because I imagine that, if ECW were around, that element of wrestling fandom would be more prevalent than it is now.  Wonder how ECW fans then would have treated, say, Darren Young?  "This is awesome?"

Where are London & Kendrick nowadays? Are they working on the Indies? All of their past shoot stuff was hilarious. Would watch anything with those two unfiltered.

For that matter, what is Jim Cornette up to lately? I would love to hear his opinion/rant on the current state of both WWE & TNA (although he would probably just say he doesn't watch either).

I feel bad for David Benoit. I can't comprehend what him and his sister have gone thru. I don't know what his reasons are for wanting to be a wrestler, but whatever makes his life easier. He should not have to apologize for existing. 

But it's going to do the exact opposite though. That's my issue with it.

I feel terrible for the guy too. I don't even want to think about how hard the last few years have been for him.

But is getting into the business really going to help him move on from that? Not really. It'll be hanging over him every day, he'll never be able to escape from it. Not to mention the fact that, as noted, he's not going to get anywhere in the US simply due to who his dad was. He's screwed before he's even started. Who would even want to get into a line of work where you have virtually no chance of getting anywhere, anyway?

You can't tell me this guy wouldn't have a happier life if he finished college and did something else. I imagine his mom and grandparents would be happier with that too.

No way WWE hires him though, they still have not yet gotten to the point where they even acknowledge his dad's existence unless they absolutely have to on WWE classics. I cannot see WWE wanting to even associate themselves with him, most people will focus on what his dad did and his own accomplishments will be glossed over because of this. I feel for the kid but wow, talk about an uphill battle. Maybe NJPW will give him a job but I cannot see WWE ever wanting to.