DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I would be very surprised if WWE passed on signing Bischoff's son, knowing how much they love "Insert # Here" Generation wrestlers. I don't think a year or something in NXT would be bad for Garett. Might come out of it looking better.

In case anyone cares, here's what's going on with TNA TV.

Talent were told they would be working Orlando, Florida tapings on 11/21-11/23 and that dates were also being locked in for December tapings also in Orlando.

While TNA will be returning to Universal Studios, the word we are hearing is that it will not be the same Soundstage that housed the Impact Zone, but a different space. One would be smaller length-wise but be a wider space on the inside.

Posted Image

You know, hire Dee Bradley Baker to reprise Olmec and hire Kirk Fogg too. Have them replace Tenay and Taz at the booth. And hell, throw in a "pendant of life" that the holder can use to re-start a title match immediately after they have lost.

Boom, I just made TNA something that I would actually seek out to watch.  

• Like 3

Listening to Jimmy Korderas on the Art of Wrestling... never would have placed that voice to his persons (is that the right phrasing?). Anyone else get these feelings about certain people? Lashley is another one.

Listening to Jimmy Korderas on the Art of Wrestling... never would have placed that voice to his persons (is that the right phrasing?). Anyone else get these feelings about certain people? Lashley is another one.

Yeah, I always got that feeling about the Angel of Death.  He looked like such a tough guy but he had that weird high voice.

My favorite team ever is the 1990 The Warriors team, just for the in-joke in the team name.

I find the booking of the 1990 show fascinating, now looking back on it.  You had the Ultimate Survivors match at the end, which made the booking have to do interesting things.  It was obvious Hogan and Warrior were going to said match, and were almost certainly going to be the final survivors. 

You had the WWF starting to build up Slaughter to be Warrior's Rumble opponent, which makes for one tough spot.  Clearly, they didn't want Slaughter to go into the final match and lose to Warrior (or Hogan) but they also needed him to come out of the show looking strong.  Having his three teammates each go down until it was 4 on 1, and then going on a rally to get rid of 3 of them before losing to Tito kept him looking at least relatively strong.

Then you had a Hogan/Warrior/Santana team, and how the hell do you make a heel group credible against that?  You have Dibiase, who is somewhat credible still, not that far removed from his 1989 main event run.  But nobody else who could make it to the match would be all that strong on their own.  So, the best way to get around that?  Have The Visionaries run the table against Jake's team.  Jake gets a pass because of the whole "wrestling half blind" angle, Snuka existed only to get a legends pop and put people over by that point, and so it was really only sacrificing The Rockers, who worked quite well as scrappy underdogs anyway.

It's a weird case of booking themselves into a corner, and then working their way out of it.  I think that's probably why the Grand Finale match of Survivors never returned.

• Like 1

Team Bischoff (Orton, Jericho, Christian, Steiner, Henry) vs. Team Austin (Michaels, RVD, Booker T, Dudleys) from 2003 is generally considered one of the best I think.

I also remember the Alliance (Austin, RVD, Angle, Booker T, Shane) vs. Team WWF (Rock, Jericho, Taker, Kane, Show) being pretty fun, but I haven't seen that match in forever.

Yeah, I always got that feeling about the Angel of Death.  He looked like such a tough guy but he had that weird high voice.

Who is the best promo guy among wrestlers who had a relatively high voice that does not at all fit what people expect from a tough guy?

Slaughter's 1990-91 run is pretty underrated in general (I think mostly because of how horrific the gimmick/angles around it were.)

It also didn't help that he had spent most of the past five years either as an AWA mid-carder or in obscurity on the independents.  It was hard to take him seriously as a sudden world beater.

As far as favorite Survivor Series matches, I've always loved both tag matches from the first two.  And I have a soft spot for the 93 opener (Savage/Ramon/Kid/Jannetty vs. Diesel/IRS/Martel/Bomb.)

• Like 1