DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

I love how any discussion of the film "Troll 2" I've prob ever read, in which the town is mentioned immediately recommends the reader read it backwards. Like the town's official name is "Nilbog Read It Backwards" on the US Census form.

Depends.  Apparently one of the copies on the back, they actually misspelled it 'Nilborg' to which my brother replied "Wait a minute, Nilborg backwards spells Groblin!"

• Like 2

I was flicking through the newest WWE magazine the other day, and a couple fo things seemed worth mentioning.

1) There's a pretty cool pictorial of mock-up horror movie posters based on wrestlers that people here might dig. Stuff like The Boogeyman is an obvious one, but there're nice ones for guys like The Stalker and (my personal favourite) Skinner.

2) They have a tournament of Survivor Series teams, which is also a pretty cool idea. However, the article really sucks Shawn Michaels' dick, calling him Mr Survivor Series, and having his 1993 team with the Knights winning in the first round over the team of Edge and Christian and the Hardyz (the rest of the matches are put to public vote- not sure why that one wasn't). So I have a couple of questions stemming from this:

a, What is the best Survivor Series team (I think we did something like this on the old board, but it's always worth revisiting)?

b, Who is Mr Survivor Series? No obvious candidate is sticking out to me (maybe it is Shawn?), but I'll have a think about it.

1) There's a pretty cool pictorial of mock-up horror movie posters based on wrestlers that people here might dig. Stuff like The Boogeyman is an obvious one, but there're nice ones for guys like The Stalker and (my personal favourite) Skinner.

Posted Image

a, What is the best Survivor Series team (I think we did something like this on the old board, but it's always worth revisiting)?

Unstoppable

Posted Image

Look at the 1988 Survivor Series and imagine the Hart Foundation, the Rockers, the British Bulldogs, and the Powers of Pain without the Young Stallions to drag their team down.

Hmmm...the Big Show once took out the rest of his own team before winning a Survivor Series match single-handedly?  I guess it came during a time when I wasn't keeping up with the WWF that much.

Look at the 1988 Survivor Series and imagine the Hart Foundation, the Rockers, the British Bulldogs, and the Powers of Pain without the Young Stallions to drag their team down.

Hmmm...the Big Show once took out the rest of his own team before winning a Survivor Series match single-handedly?  I guess it came during a time when I wasn't keeping up with the WWF that much.

Well, the rest of the team was Kaientai and the Blue Meanie, so it's not like you missed anything anyway.

Here's a press release I didn't expect to receive in my inbox:

ULTRAMANTIS BLACK Signs to Relapse Records

Relapse Records is extremely proud to announce the signing of hardcore aural terrorists UltraMantis Black!  Hailing from parts unknown, UltraMantis Black is the musical manifestation of underground professional wrestling legend UltraMantis Black himself, backed by a cadre of anonymous musicians/warriors who may or may not feature ex- and current members of Pissed Jeans and Pilgrim Fetus.  Simply put, UMB is the greatest band you've never heard. UltraMantis Black has waged many battles. As a professional wrestler, he has fought a never ending array of opponents worldwide, hell-bent on usurping the Great & Devious insectoid leader of The Order of the Neo Solar Temple. In his quest to decimate the unconscionable and depraved current state of the cultural grappling landscape, he has guided his Spectral Envoy of the Final Judgement through space and time as they deal out justice in the guise of revenge towards those who desire to harm and exploit the vulnerable and voiceless. Now, UltraMantis Black takes his struggle to a new level. Set to release their debut EP in early 2014 via Relapse Records, UMB seeks to further spread his gospel through a relentless musical assault of hardcore cacophony. His message is a simple declaration of war. A godless jihad against those who continue to systematically enslave, torture, and murder the Earth and all innocent and sentient life that exists upon it. Clear missives of animal, earth, and human liberation delivered under the secretive cloak of lucha libre to the soundtrack of blasting audio terrorism. Stay tuned for details on the EP release and impending global domination as UltraMantis Black take their electrifying live show to an arena near you.  In the meantime you can watch UltraMantis Black destroy pathetic jobbers HERE and read his storied history at this location. This is UltraMantis Black.  Prepare yourself. 

• Like 2

a, What is the best Survivor Series team?

I am partial to the babyface super-teams, personally:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

But my favorite visual team of all time has to be this one:

Posted Image

And you've got to love this MANLY LOOKING TEAM:

Posted Image

Of the modern Survivor Series teams of the past few years these were my two favorites from the 2009 Survivor Series:

Posted Image

• Like 2