DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING CHIT CHAT THREAD

RIPPA

What's everyone's best Big Show match? Don't think there's many better than the Lesnar match at the Rumble. Guy bumps huge for Brock and they get a ton of shit in in such a short time.

I forget what show it was, but he had a good stretcher match against Lesnar in like 03 or 04. Their SummerSlam match was good too.Then of course there was the SD match where they broke the ring. I always thought they had great chemistry. There was a triple threat with Angle in there somewhere that was awesome too.

I also like most of his matches with Taker as well, especially the No Mercy 09 match.

Also, don't forget the WWECW run. The Flair hardcore match wasn't a classic, but surreal and unbelievably entertaining. I'm sure there's a bunch more in there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but I thought the Boiler Room Brawl with Foley was just as good if not better than the first with Taker.

I loved the finish to one of his random Raw matches with Regal who was in his "Power of the Punch" phase.

Regal lost one set of knux when the ref gave him a pat down present match, but Regal had a spare set hidden near the ring. Might have even been behind a turnbuckle pad.

Anyway Regal hits the PotP and Show falls back into the ropes, rebounds and collapses on top of a gloating Regal for the pin.

Not an all time classic but a really clever finish that I liked then and still like now.

What's everyone's best Big Show match? Don't think there's many better than the Lesnar match at the Rumble. Guy bumps huge for Brock and they get a ton of shit in in such a short time.

I have a choice of three:

vs. Ric Flair in THAT match on WWECW TV in 2006.

vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr., WrestleMania XXIV.

vs. The Undertaker at No Mercy 2008.

The first Big Show vs. Sheamus match from their recent series was amazing. I can't remember the PPV but I would recommend going out of your way to see it if you have not.

Hell in a Cell 2012 PPV.

I just posted the Taker/Show No Mercy match in the "never talked about awesome matches" thread. 

The Mayweather match has to be his career high point, though. 

A couple others that haven't been mentioned are the first LMS with Del Rio from SD, and a hardcore match against Booker T at Vengeance 02.

• Like 1

I just posted the Taker/Show No Mercy match in the "never talked about awesome matches" thread. 

The Mayweather match has to be his career high point, though. 

A couple others that haven't been mentioned are the first LMS with Del Rio from SD, and a hardcore match against Booker T at Vengeance 02.

Good picks. The first Last Man Standing match he had with Alberto Del Rio early this year on Smackdown was a great match.

However...  Orton. I don't understand why HHH paid Armstrong to fast count. Shouldn't Orton be more pissed at this than anyone? The only explanation I have seen from Steph/HHH is WE WANT YOU TO BE THE VIPER AGAIN...

He paid him to fast count so he had a viable reason to take the belt off of Bryan. We are supposed to assume that it was only to be used in case of an emergency when Orton is clearly beat. I think the logical next step is Bryan wins on Sunday. Monday they try and take the belt from him again and this time Vince intercedes.

However...  Orton. I don't understand why HHH paid Armstrong to fast count. Shouldn't Orton be more pissed at this than anyone? The only explanation I have seen from Steph/HHH is WE WANT YOU TO BE THE VIPER AGAIN...

He paid him to fast count so he had a viable reason to take the belt off of Bryan. We are supposed to assume that it was only to be used in case of an emergency when Orton is clearly beat. I think the logical next step is Bryan wins on Sunday. Monday they try and take the belt from him again and this time Vince intercedes.

I was thinking Bryan wins, then Orton attacks Brie on Raw to give the HIAC match a personal touch, but I don't know what the man-on-woman violence policies are these days. I guess I can see them putting focus back on Vince where he tells HHH that he has 3 more weeks for his master plan to work or he's indefinitely suspended as COO. 

Either way, I'm pretty sure HIAC ends with Orton soundly beaten and HHH locked inside the cell with Bryan, Show, or The Shield.

I think Barrett should have been stuck in the We the People role with Swagger instead of Cesaro. It wouldn't have helped to get the gimmick over better than Cesaro can, but Cesaro needs to be solo and Barrett could use a partner. That said those matches with Bryan were awesome and him being willing to eat that powerbomb in the cage match really elevates him in my view. 

Nothing new to add here, but the Mayweather match is a spectacle of the best kind, with Big Show just being the absolute perfect guy doing every single thing right to make a match that shouldn't work at all work beautifully.

Vs. Sheamus from Hell In A Cell last year was an absolute classic.  It remains stunning to me just how hard Big Show works, and what he is willing to take, despite his size, age, and presumed (non-kayfabe) bank account.

• Like 1

Nothing new to add here, but the Mayweather match is a spectacle of the best kind, with Big Show just being the absolute perfect guy doing every single thing right to make a match that shouldn't work at all work beautifully.

Vs. Sheamus from Hell In A Cell last year was an absolute classic.  It remains stunning to me just how hard Big Show works, and what he is willing to take, despite his size, age, and presumed (non-kayfabe) bank account.

One of the things I love about this board is that people actually appreciate Big Show (along with people like Mark Henry and Cena).  I see so many people who act like he's this horrible, one dimensional Khali level wrestler on other boards and I just don't get it.  The guy is really, really great at what he does and as Fowler just said he's willing to do things in his matches that tons of guys his size/age/level wouldn't try.

Re: Barrett 's problem is that they did an amazing job turning him into 'just another dude.' Back in 2010, the guy came seemingly from bumfuck nowhere and was easily one of the most noticeable guys on the show. Tall, handsome, poise, and one hell of a smooth talker. I stopped watching weekly in 2006, so my reaction to him was "Where in the heck did they find this guy?" And judging by the reactions on the show and online, I wasn't the only one. Fast forward one year later, he is jobbing to fucking Zeke and his heat hasn't been there since. Tapping like a bitch to The Miz ain't gonna help anyone. Plus, they're so stop and go with Barrett, even big fans of the guy (I.e. me) have been conditioned to not give a damn.

Re: I think Big Show is at his best when he is literally squashing dudes. Not just one or two, but a squadron. I fucking loved that match in 2009 with him vs any asshole they could find on the Raw roster. My personal favorite is the Summerslam 2010 match with Punk's band. The visual of Luke Gallows rubbing his nipples after being slapped by Show is something we all need more of.

We need more big motherfuckers being big motherfuckers in wrestling. :(

I think everyone thought as soon as NXT started that Wade Barrett was going to be The Guy. I know I thought he was going to be much bigger than Daniel Bryan could be.

Seems so long ago.

I miss Michael Tarver in the WWE. 

• Like 1

Talking about Barrett tapping to Miz just makes me think how awful the whole idea of Miz using a submission as a finisher is. Literally of all the guys on the roster he is one of only a handful (Ryder would be another) who should never do submissions. It also reminds me of how awful the idea of Flair "giving" the figure four to Miz is/was. Again, of all the people on the roster...