DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

6 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I hope they get into a feud with Authors of Pain and bring in Arn to counter Drake.

Arn still works for WWE, so it wouldn't take much to bring him in, outside on some effort of the part of the writers, so don't count on it happening.

14 hours ago, Goodear said:

Stan Lane, Arn Anderson, Lord Steven Regal, Dennis Condry vs. Ricky Steamboat, Barry Windham, Cody Rhodes, Booker T

This one took me a minute but I think I’ve got it. 

Guys who teamed with Bobby Eaton vs guys who teamed with Dustin Rhodes?

You could make it a 5-on-5 by adding Koko B Ware to the Eaton side and Ron Killings to the Dustin side. 

• Like 2

On 11/5/2018 at 7:28 PM, Custos said:

Moving on from the penis, I think I recall this came up a couple of years back but it’s a fun game: best survivor series team based on shared first name? Rick (Rude, Steamboat, Flair, Steiner, Martel) or Steve (Austin, Williams, Regal, Corino, Richards) maybe? 

Also, some optional rules to consider:

- Shoot and gimmick names allowed (in which case Sting could be added to the Steve’s)

- non-English variations of the same name (Jack Brisco and Jacques Rougeau)

- male and females allowed for gender neutral names (Jackie added to the above team)

- 4 or 5 person teams? 4 opens up some more options

Big E, Big Show, Big Bossman, Big John Studd & Big Poppa Pump vs Adam Cole, Adam Page, Adam "Edge" Copeland, Adam Rose & Adam Bomb

I can't sleep so...

Davey Boy Smith, Davey Richards, David Von Erich, Dave Taylor, Dave "Fit" Finlay vs. Jay White, Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe, Jay Youngblood, Jay Bradley

Ron Simmons, Ron Bass, Ronnie Garvin, Ron Killings, Ron Reis vs. Bryan Danielson, Brian Cage, Brian Pillman, Brian Lee, Brian Blair

All the Daves turning on Richards would be a beautiful experience for everyone except Richards. 

And you know exactly who the first of them to turn on him would be. The rest would just join him partially out of fear but mostly of mutual disgust. Taylor would of course be the second to jump in. I think it would be fun to see Davey Boy balk then finally give him a powerslam.

On 11/6/2018 at 6:03 AM, The Natural said:

As noted, I'm not going to WWE Live because more of my favourite wrestlers are on Smackdown and we're getting the RAW roster instead. The card:

Reveal hidden contents

DrGsmJBXgAAdIpv.jpg

Without wanting to rub it in, I'm going to the Nottingham show tonight with a Styles/Bryan/Joe main event and Becky/Charlotte in the undercard.

The only downside is that they're going to book Joseph Conners and Saxon Hurley as a face team, because they're from Nottingham, and I'm torn between wanting to support the NXTUK brand and my total apathy for that team (I do like Conners, but he's vastly better as a heel)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

Without wanting to rub it in, I'm going to the Nottingham show tonight with a Styles/Bryan/Joe main event and Becky/Charlotte in the undercard.

The only downside is that they're going to book Joseph Conners and Saxon Hurley as a face team, because they're from Nottingham, and I'm torn between wanting to support the NXTUK brand and my total apathy for that team (I do like Conners, but he's vastly better as a heel)

That's why I hoped for a Smackdown show. How far in advance did you find out whether it was RAW or Smackdown? Have a good time bud.

I've been unlucky the past two times not getting the proffered brand. As it was RAW last night, should be Smackdown next time round.

Ken Shamrock, Ken Anderson, Kenny King, Kenta Kobashi & KENTA vs Akira Taue, Akira Maeda, Akira Raijin, Akira Tozawa & AKIRA.

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Randy Savage, Randy Orton, Randy Culley, Randy Rose and Randall Floyd vs. Tommy Dreamer, Tom Zenk, Tom Pritchard, Tommy Rich and Tom Magee.

RKO into Savage Elbow combo?

Tom Magee? Jumbo Tsuruta, man.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Log said:

This one took me a minute but I think I’ve got it. 

Guys who teamed with Bobby Eaton vs guys who teamed with Dustin Rhodes?

You could make it a 5-on-5 by adding Koko B Ware to the Eaton side and Ron Killings to the Dustin side. 

Winner, winner chicken dinner.  You also have Steve Keirn on the Bobby side for Bad Attitude.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Ken Shamrock, Ken Anderson, Kenny King, Kenta Kobashi & KENTA vs Akira Taue, Akira Maeda, Akira Raijin, Akira Tozawa & AKIRA.

Tom Magee? Jumbo Tsuruta, man.

Real name Tomomi. Billed as Tommy Tsuruta as a rookie in Amarillo.

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What I don't get is WHY they want it, besides their standard interest in total dominance and possession of the business. Most of the players they would feature are legends but that stuff seems like things they would feature on the weekend throwbacks that they already screw up on anyway. A lot of it is so bloody I don't think they'd want to feature it. Maybe they just want to make sure they have all the Carlito matches?

Biggest reasons would probably be the mix of:

-WWE Network wants some more international product, and WWC gives them some Spanish-language content

-There's been enough time with the Network to know: Only hardcore fans give a shit about the classic stuff. By and large, casual fans  only care about historic content if it has early matches with wrestlers who became big WWE stars. Hence, promotions which had former WWE stars = money. 

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

-WWE Network wants some more international product, and WWC gives them some Spanish-language content

You must've not gotten ahold of the '80s PR set because that shit is FRAUGHT with Buck Robley or whoever doing the dirt worst, drunk ass commentary over the matches in English. That guy's laugh will haunt my nightmares forever.

You should know that doing that will backfire on you...

EDIT: I also don't get the talking point of them buying PR for the stars. There aren't, say, a bunch of Hogan in PR or Macho in PR matches (in fact there are none). The major names from the old PR footage are territorial guys who mostly had a cup of coffee in the WWF. 

I think everything points to this: the footage was available for a dime, Vince paid a nickel, and they have it just to have it.