DVDVR Message Board

NOVEMBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

4 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Balor, Nalamura, Bryan. I could see it being one of them

I'm thinking either Balor or Nakamura. 

Speaking of former NJPW guys, why have Gallows and Anderson completely disappeared? Do I just chalk it up to the complete ineptitude of Road Dogg and the SD writing team?

On 11/1/2018 at 11:39 PM, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Hot(?) take: Road Dogg catches too much shit just because people know his name. 

He has a two hour show and still has superiors to run things past. Cut the guy some slack. 

I don't buy it. I have superiors at work, and if I make a mistake, I don't get any slack. I'd say that goes for most of us in whatever line of work we're in. If someone is that bad at their job, they get replaced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't buy it. I have superiors at work, and if I make a mistake I don't get any slack. I'd say that goes for most of us in whatever line of work we're in. If someone is that bad at their job, they get replaced. 

When the big man is there to take editorial liberties with everyone’s creative work, I don’t see how any of us are capable of assessing his performance.

And that’s before we get into how slippery it can be to assess job performance in a creative field. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

When the big man is there to take editorial liberties with everyone’s creative work, I don’t see how any of us are capable of assessing his performance.

And that’s before we get into how slippery it can be to assess job performance in a creative field. 

I agree 100%. When it comes to Raw/Smackdown the buck always begins and ends with Vince and Vince alone. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Pro Wrestling Illustrated upped the 'Female 50' to the first 'Womens 100' this year. Typical all over the place PWI list rankings for the most part =

Hide contents

1. Ronda Rousey
2. Alexa Bliss
3. Charlotte Flair
4. Io Shirai
5. Asuka
6. Shayna Baszler
7. Carmella
8. Nia Jax
9. Mayu Iwatani
10. Kairi Sane
11. Becky Lynch

I'll put Becky's twitter reply in spoilers:

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm thinking either Balor or Nakamura. 

Speaking of former NJPW guys, why have Gallows and Anderson completely disappeared? Do I just chalk it up to the complete ineptitude of Road Dogg and the SD writing team?

I was wondering that myself. They got the big rub along with Balor at the Raw special show then... nowt.

They're a long way from when they used to have so much fun beating up John Cena with Uncle Allen

I would really love to know what happened with the Bálor Club on RAW. For like a month, they were a thing. A couple more weeks they were kinda loosely associated. Then suddenly Bàlor is getting screwed by The Miztourage with no sign of his Good Brothers. Then they send them to Smackdown.

For the first couple weeks, it looked like Bàlor was turning heel with them, then they suddenly dropped that part before giving up on it. Just very strange. At least I got an OG BC t-shirt out of the deal.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I would really love to know what happened with the Bálor Club on RAW. For like a month, they were a thing. A couple more weeks they were kinda loosely associated. Then suddenly Bàlor is getting screwed by The Miztourage with no sign of his Good Brothers. Then they send them to Smackdown.

For the first couple weeks, it looked like Bàlor was turning heel with them, then they suddenly dropped that part before giving up on it. Just very strange. At least I got an OG BC t-shirt out of the deal.

Would you really want to hang out with Finn for a month and a couple of weeks?

6 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This is entirely too reasonable.  Plus, does Ryan Ward also write for Smackdown?

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

I was wondering that myself. They got the big rub along with Balor at the Raw special show then... nowt.

They're a long way from when they used to have so much fun beating up John Cena with Uncle Allen

The Revival also got the rub from that segment, so... you know, I’m starting to think that segment was less about giving the rub to current guys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

This is entirely too reasonable.  Plus, does Ryan Ward also write for Smackdown?

He supposedly was replaced by Road Dogg at some point last year around the time the show started to suck. After that (and some moronic tweets) people started to rake him (Road Dogg) over the coals. 

For whatever reason it seems like people want to avoid blaming Vince when there's another scapegoat available. When the production is garbage, it's Kevin Dunn's fault. When Stephanie is booked like a Dominant McMahon the way Vince has always booked Dominant McMahons, she's "putting herself over" despite not being on the Creative team for some time now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Any time you wonder why this storyline got dropped with no explanation or that booking got changed on the fly, just remember Vince has the attention span of a goldfish on coke and the indecisiveness of my 3 year old.

• Haha 2

Back when I used to watch TNA Xplosion, once they had a Borash-organised fan party in Manchester, England, and they bought in the VKM* as guests (which was odd because they'd been off TV for about 4 months and were leaving very soon - it was their last appearance on TNA telly). So Jez Borash starts up the interview with a simple question, "What's your best memory of Wrestling in Manchester?" And Road Dogg's response is "Well, I don't have any memories of Wrestling in Manchester, but then I don't have any memories of 95% of my career, so don'tsweat it. They have a nice airport, there's some great people who work in customs there. We spent a lot of time with them today, that was fun". So in one answer he basically brags about being a drug user and them complains about getting treated like the sort of person who uses drugs.

So maybe while the WWE think he's a guy who knows the business because he grew up in the business and lived his adult life in the business, maybe actually he doesn't know shit about Wrestling.

* Voodoo Kin Mafia. BG James and Kip James. Road Dogg and Billy Gunn.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peck said:

I agree 100%. When it comes to Raw/Smackdown the buck always begins and ends with Vince and Vince alone. 

That's true but when Ward was the head writer on SDL the show was different than it is now and it was better so whether right or wrong that's going to be a knock on Road Dogg

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Back when I used to watch TNA Xplosion, once they had a Borash-organised fan party in Manchester, England, and they bought in the VKM* as guests (which was odd because they'd been off TV for about 4 months and were leaving very soon - it was their last appearance on TNA telly). So Jez Borash starts up the interview with a simple question, "What's your best memory of Wrestling in Manchester?" And Road Dogg's response is "Well, I don't have any memories of Wrestling in Manchester, but then I don't have any memories of 95% of my career, so don'tsweat it. They have a nice airport, there's some great people who work in customs there. We spent a lot of time with them today, that was fun". So in one answer he basically brags about being a drug user and them complains about getting treated like the sort of person who uses drugs.

So maybe while the WWE think he's a guy who knows the business because he grew up in the business and lived his adult life in the business, maybe actually he doesn't know shit about Wrestling.

* Voodoo Kin Mafia. BG James and Kip James. Road Dogg and Billy Gunn.

I'm inclined to believe the latter, that he doesn't know shit about wrestling.

• Like 1

I've always thought that the best plan going forward for health reasons / creative reasons was to go to a sort of staggered schedule formula.  If you have a match, no promos.  If you don't have a match, promos / backstage stuff.  Then you get to advertise what's coming next week on your show, and then all your matches have build up.  Over time, you get to fit in more people for matches, expose more people, actually build to matches.  It's not rocket science.  People you want on every week can still do, they'd just wrestle every other week.  Of course, you can switch it up, but it'd work better if the angle is the week before, and you can build anticipation that way. 

And where the hell is Andrade?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I've always thought that the best plan going forward for health reasons / creative reasons was to go to a sort of staggered schedule formula.  If you have a match, no promos.  If you don't have a match, promos / backstage stuff.  Then you get to advertise what's coming next week on your show, and then all your matches have build up.  Over time, you get to fit in more people for matches, expose more people, actually build to matches.  It's not rocket science.  People you want on every week can still do, they'd just wrestle every other week.  Of course, you can switch it up, but it'd work better if the angle is the week before, and you can build anticipation that way. 

And where the hell is Andrade?

I think Cubsfan posted he was 0 for 7 or 0 for 8 this month, including MMC.

Re: no ring matches, the IWA Japan House Death Match where they just destroy this tiny two story house in Japan is hilarious. Crypt the Keeper and some sleazy dude with bad hair and a boombox walk up and break all the windows, smash the door with a sledge, then Nakamaki and Winger brawl with them inside after the table they're eating dinner on gets kicked over. Includes slo-mo and a narrator. Has to be seen to be believed.

• Like 1

See on Tower of Doom spots, why does the person doing the Powerbomb sell it? Because I saw one match recently where they did a Tower of Doom (Suplerplex plus Powerbomb), and then later did a Street Sweeper (Powerbomb spiked with Buff Blockbuster) and the person flipping over the one getting powerbombed only sold the first one.