DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT 76 (for those not playing RDR2)

CSC

You know those books you can buy for little kids, where they press up a different copy for each child, so the main character has the same name as the kid reading it, and lives at the same address, et cetera? That's your favourite book, that is.

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

You know those books you can buy for little kids, where they press up a different copy for each child, so the main character has the same name as the kid reading it, and lives at the same address, et cetera? That's your favourite book, that is.

No, I was more into CYOAs, where I could make the choices that I thought that I would make if I some how found myself wandering Jotunheim or dumped back into the prehistoric past or in apartheid-era South Africa. The first read-through of each books was the canon ending to me before I went off to find the other paths.

My favorite adult version of that is Life's Lottery.

(Full disclaimer: I used to do a lot more "I'ma play KotOR as a dark side character" type stuff, but as I get older, I find that most of the time when roleplaying, I just want to be nice and do good, which at least IRL is usually my goal. Sue me.)

11 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

(Full disclaimer: I used to do a lot more "I'ma play KotOR as a dark side character" type stuff, but as I get older, I find that most of the time when roleplaying, I just want to be nice and do good, which at least IRL is usually my goal. Sue me.)

Interesting. I like to think I'm a decent enough person in real life, but it wouldn't occur to me to equate playing the good guy in an RPG with playing myself. For one thing, my heroic characters are generally willing to risk their lives to help people in need, but here in real life I'm working a cushy office job in Toronto, not travelling war-torn regions to assist Doctors Without Borders or anything like that, so clearly we differ in that respect.

And of course, any good RPG will offer more interesting choices than just a good path/evil path. You can play somebody completely unlike yourself without playing a bad guy. Which isn't to say that you have to, of course. But for me, part of the fun of RPGs is being someone else for a time. (Though none of my characters will drink cherry cola. You have to draw the line somewhere.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

13 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Interesting. I like to think I'm a decent enough person in real life, but it wouldn't occur to me to equate playing the good guy in an RPG with playing myself. For one thing, my heroic characters are generally willing to risk their lives to help people in need, but here in real life I'm working a cushy office job in Toronto, not travelling war-torn regions to assist Doctors Without Borders or anything like that, so clearly we differ in that respect.

And of course, any good RPG will offer more interesting choices than just a good path/evil path. You can play somebody completely unlike yourself without playing a bad guy. Which isn't to say that you have to, of course. But for me, part of the fun of RPGs is being someone else for a time. (Though none of my characters will drink cherry cola. You have to draw the line somewhere.)

Oh, sure. I think the best part about playing RPGs is that you can play an ideal if you'd like, which is what I tend to do at this point in my life. Call it part roleplaying, part wish fulfillment.

But for me, the best RPGs tease out my own philosophical or political beliefs. Going back to New Vegas, that game quickly made me realize that I believe in stability via bureaucracy, even if the bureaucracy is bad at immediately attending to everyone's unique needs as those needs arise. I  found that I really, genuinely reject benevolent dictatorship and don't trust individuals to necessarily benefit from being given the chance to form their own independent state because I mistrust that people usually know how to form useful governments from scratch.

So when I talk about "playing as myself," this is a significant part of what I mean. I would never play though NV as an ally of the legion because they are a form of stupid bad governance now, whereas 20-year-old me might have had fun doing cruel shit to wastelanders under the guise of role-playing.

And also, I like to think that endorsing the idea of accepting a bureaucratic, stable, not-intentionally-cruel government and then working to change it from the inside to make it better *is* the type of good that I would do or support IRL; it's just that doing so IRL involves fewer Cazadores (thank God).

So far I mostly love this. It’s essentially more Fallout 4 and also I can play online with my sister and kill Super Mutants! 

The bugs are bad though and I can see why they would turn someone less enthusiastic about the game off. Last night I was close to finishing a mission (Firebreather training in the mines) and died while wearing power armor. Couldn’t respawn anywhere. Had to restart the game. 

Then on my next try at that mission I get to the final wave of enemies and the game shuts down.   Have to go back in again and do it all over. That’s frustrating and I could easily see it being a breaking point for someone already frustrated by the game. 

My hope is that they keep ironing out the kinks and improving the game because it’s something I know I could enjoy greatly for a long time. Hopefully there’s a large enough fan base out there to support it through the rough start. 

Yeah, FO is particularly likely to trip this wire since it's based on real-life places and events.  I find I can't do awful shit in any of the games, either.  Even maxing affinity for boorish companions in FO4 was usually accompanied by a subvocalized "goddamnit".

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Self-quoting for context. I made a cultural reference that I realised nobody would get. So here's some context:

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:05 AM, Contentious C said:

When I first glanced at that, I thought I was going to have to turn in my State fan club card since it looked a little like David Wain under all the makeup. Humor was more or less in their wheelhouse, too. 

It's David Baddiel on the left and Rob Newman on the right. Newman has been pretty quiet for the last 25 years except for doing the history of the world backwards, Baddiel formed another double act with Frank Skinner, did a Soccer themed comedy show, accidentally started the 90s 'New Lad' movement and co-wrote the best football song ever.

Newman was the talented one, of the two.

Man, Kotaku was not kind to this at all. I bought it anyway on Black Friday, just because I have a feeling they'll pull a good game out of their asses. Everybody hated Elder Scrolls Online at first, but I've heard from a couple of friends that they really worked out all the bad stuff and it's much more playable now. I'm considering it an investment.

The game is fun. The sad thing that will hurt more than anything is is the more business side bs decisions that have been made like the refund refusal and the screwiness with the PA edition that will almost certainly get them rightfully sued if they don't fix it sooner than later.

Saw my first nuke go off which was neat. Went ahead and took a picture of the mushroom cloud. Finally completed the Excavator PA earlier today so I went ahead and participated in the nuke zone. Its easy to see why people choose Whitesprings so often. The staff do most of the creature killing work for you as long a you can lure the enemies to them. I probably got nearly as many legendaries from the nuke zone as I've gotten in the entire game before it so far. Of course all them being high level made them unusable for me, but it was still nice. Also gained a level. If not for the xp nerf I suspect it would have been 3 or 4 easily. A shame so much shit has happened to likely kill this in the long run. Its been pretty fun for me so far with no major bugs screwing things up for me.

8 hours ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Spent three hours moving my camp to Top of the World, complete with awesome positioning, and poof.  Gone.

Getting really sick of your shit, game.

Probably should wait until next week's update to do anything big with camps. That is when they make it so you have choice and choosing a different spot if someone else is in yours and thus screwing you out of your camp.