DVDVR Message Board

OCTOBER 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm going into business for myself.

What kind of business will it be? I'm crossing my finger for used shards of glass.

12 hours ago, FlaeBlazer said:

Yeah, longevity matters but it’s just part of the criteria. Nobody can argue that WWE isn’t by the far the most successful wrestling company ever. 

Well, CMLL's success probably also matters to be the tiebreaker.

For longevity, CMLL would have it. For success, it'd probably have to be WCW (they had a short run, but at their peak they were bigger than WWE.) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, CMLL's success probably also matters to be the tiebreaker.

For longevity, CMLL would have it. For success, it'd probably have to be WCW (they had a short run, but at their peak they were bigger than WWE.) 

99/00 WWF was far bigger than 97/98 WCW. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

until the opportunity arises to advance your personal goals, so you kick your friend and throw him through a glass window

Hypothetically speaking, of course

What I do over the weekend is my own business.

• Like 1

Anyone have any examples of good three-way matches that aren't overly reliant on one guy sitting out on the floor for most of the match? I want to believe that a match of this kind exists that won't irritate the shit out of me. 

The Night the Line was Crossed, ECW. Sabu vs Terry Funk vs Shane Douglas. Overly reliant on one guy or other being backstage for half of the match.

• Haha 3

17 episodes into BAHU's podcast. Great stuff.

Hayabusa was in so much pain in the mid 90s, he used to get black out drunk just to be able to sleep.

Mr. Gannosuke lost his hair match to Hayabusa in 1997, but he never got his head shaved because Hayabusa didn't allow it. Gannosuke retired recently and was bartending somewhere and he allowed a big Hayabusa fan wearing a Hayabusa mask to shave his head 21 years later.

Lastly, this theme song gives me the chills:

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

Anyone have any examples of good three-way matches that aren't overly reliant on one guy sitting out on the floor for most of the match? I want to believe that a match of this kind exists that won't irritate the shit out of me. 

Low Ki vs AJ Styles vs Paul London, from ROH's One Year Anniversary.

• Like 1

How are we measuring success? If it's sheer monetary value of the company current WWE annihilates every year of WCW's existence combined. Most of their own up to a point too.

6 hours ago, Ryan said:

How are we measuring success? If it's sheer monetary value of the company current WWE annihilates every year of WCW's existence combined. Most of their own up to a point too.

The question @FlaeBlazer asked wasn't "was WCW better than WWF?", but rather "What was the second-most successful company to WWF in wrestling history?"

That's where my answer came from: In 1997-98, WCW was more successful than WWF was in 1997-98, and that fact probably makes WCW the second most successful company ever."

It'd be a question mark between WCW, CMLL, or New Japan for that title, but right now I'd give the edge to WCW (though if New Japan continues on their trajectory, they will likely take it.) 

10 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

There's a Cesaro/Kidd/Ziggler match from a SD near the end of 2014. It's a an elimination match, but the triple threat portion stayed away from the usual "2 in 1 out" formula for the most part.

Second most successful company is WCW, because people still talk about it and recognize the name 17 years later. Plus Revenge set the standard for wrestling videogames.

• Like 3

In terms of second most successful promotion, solely on a North American basis, I would consider that longetivity should not be taken into account or at least be a reduced factor. 

If we include it then Impact comes into the equation, its been around for way longer than it deserves to have been, and longer than WCW and ECW, however, going by this weeks show they DO have access to the Undead World via Jim Mitchell, so maybe that explains a lot. 

Blows my mind that both ROH and Impact have been around for 16 years now.  WCW managed 13 years (post-Crockett buyout) and ECW 9 years.

Onita has always wanted to have an explosion death match in the U.S. He even contacted Vince for this during the FMW and WWF working relationship during the mid 90's. Of course Vince was never going to agree to it. Anyway, during the time Zandig conned BJW into thinking they could help them land a big international DVD deal and get expansion stateside, Zandig and the CZW crew attacked Onita at the end of an Onita Pro event. Zandig had told Onita he wanted to book a big event at a 30,000 seat venue in New Jersey and the main event would be an exploding ring death match that would be broadcasted on PPV. It was supposed to be Onita, Ichiro Yaguchi & Nobutaka Araya vs. Terry Funk, Zandig and a mystery partner. Funk asked Zandig to deposit 50% of his pay before the match, but of course Zandig never paid the fee up front, so Funk pulled out. Onita heard Funk withdrew and he realized it was all a con job from Zandig and he and the Japanese wrestlers also withdrew and the entire thing fell through and CZW ended up having another event called They Said it Couldn't be Done in someone's yard in front of a much smaller crowd with an explosive death match. Regardless, Zandig says the reason Onita and the Japanese guys withdrew was because Onita was intimidated by him and the CZW crew as they didn't even let him standup when they attacked him at the end of that Ontia Pro show... mhm...

10 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

In terms of second most successful promotion, solely on a North American basis, I would consider that longetivity should not be taken into account or at least be a reduced factor. 

If we include it then Impact comes into the equation, its been around for way longer than it deserves to have been, and longer than WCW and ECW, however, going by this weeks show they DO have access to the Undead World via Jim Mitchell, so maybe that explains a lot. 

Blows my mind that both ROH and Impact have been around for 16 years now.  WCW managed 13 years (post-Crockett buyout) and ECW 9 years.

Chikara also started in 2002.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Chikara also started in 2002.

Minus Qacks reboot! That's still bonkers.

CZW started in the 90's that's even more insane.  Same with IWA MS, obviously deductions to be made for every time Ian Rotten has had to close the promotion for financial problems / falling out with money marks.

1 hour ago, Player One said:

CZW has been around since the late 90's.  First show was in '98, irrc.

I'm thinking there are some flaws in the longevity argument.

I remember going to a CZW show in bumblefuck south Jersey in 2001 because Juventud Guerrera was on it.

• Like 1

How about longevity plus quality? Much of promotions like CZW, IMPACT and IWA MS has been pretty unwatchable. If a Ian Rotten promotes a show and no one attends, does it count?

This is said as the guy who just purchased tpi 2018 on blu ray....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

The question @FlaeBlazer asked wasn't "was WCW better than WWF?", but rather "What was the second-most successful company to WWF in wrestling history?"

That's where my answer came from: In 1997-98, WCW was more successful than WWF was in 1997-98, and that fact probably makes WCW the second most successful company ever."

It'd be a question mark between WCW, CMLL, or New Japan for that title, but right now I'd give the edge to WCW (though if New Japan continues on their trajectory, they will likely take it.) 

WCW hemorrhaged money thru out its existence minus four years. Unless you are counting Jim Crockett Promotions as a whole, which helps WCW greatly. But I don't think even in New Japan's darkest days, did they lose as much money or produce as much shit as death bed WCW. 

• Like 3