DVDVR Message Board

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor (10/6/2018) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Herb Dean didn't seem like he was ready for anything in the last 3 or 4 years. 

He seemed really off his game.

Fixed your post.  I was kind of stunned they let Herb ref the main event fight given how much of mess he was a couple weeks to the point that UFC announcers were giving him shit.   But given the UFC probably shouldn't be

I would also like to know who is the dumb fuck at ESPN that thinks that Screaming A Smith is the person you would use for their MMA analysis.  What was Coachman not available at the time.   I mean Chael Sonnen and Ariel Helwani is perfectly fine as it is.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Lastly, some Urethra Franklin hacked my UFC.tv account and ordered the ppv. UFC didn't really help either other than reset my password and I asked visa to contest the charge. I still got the ppv and was going to order it anyway but fucker tried to change my password again last night. I've changed my password for both UFC and Gmail a bunch. 

Wait what?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, peterien said:

In case I get misunderstood for what I say below- Khabib absolutely dominated Conor, there is no need for a rematch. 

That said, Conor looked like a man going through the motions at time, there was glimpses of his game from two years ago in the 3rd/4th round but even the punches he threw didn’t have their usual zip and speed. Either the hunger isn’t there anymore or the year or so of partying (and whatever else) has taken a massive toll. 

He looked like a man that for whatever reason thought it would be a breeze after taking so much time out, got one round in and just went “aw fuck, I’ve bitten off way more than I can chew here”. 

Where he goes from here is anyones guess, Khabib will embarrass him in a potential rematch, I think he’d struggle with Ferguson too. If Mcgregor wants to get serious about MMA again he needs to seriously look at who he’s surrounding himself with. 

That's what happens when you don't fight for two years.

I never bought into his antics.  He parlayed a couple of good strikes and trash talk into a nine figure career.  He has enough drunken 'friends' who will buy into his antics so he can pump PPV numbers for a few more years.  

Dana can talk all he wants but he is an enabler with no balls.  You won't see him do anything more than the AC's hand out.  

I am going to assume that all of this craziness wouldn't happen if the Fertittas were still around.  Maybe I am being naive because we know that they loved Connor.   Although Connor was still in his Ric Flair starter kit phase by the time they left the UFC.   

• Like 1

That is what happens when someone who plays too much starts fucking with a bunch of dudes who don't play at all.  There is nothing about Khabib, the Dagastani, or anyone who grew in the Northern Caucasus that makes me think that they'd have a sense of humor about someone playing those type of games.  There were people talking about Khabib being scared of Conor, and I was listening to that and thinking, "I don't know what it would take to scare someone who grew up in a place that has been in some sort of armed conflict for most of their lives, but Conor McGregor is probably not it."  I always thought that Khabib looked annoyed/disinterested in Conor's shit, but apparently, he was just pissed off.

• Like 7

I am a UFC novice(actually probably several ranks lower than that, I only watch the occassional PPV at Buffalo wild wings), so take this with the appropriate grain of salt. Connor is a massive asshole, who had some shit coming, but still Khabib was out of line. If he had broke Connor's arm or did something similar in the ring, it would have been understandable, even if wrong. But diving out of the ring, even if the piece of crap was taunting him is still a line  a fighter can't cross. Consistent or not, the dude has to be gone for a least a year.

What the NSAC should do is take the UFC to task for letting these actions build up and not rely on the NSAC and other athletic commissions to punish their fighters.  The UFC has a formula, they are the good cop and the AC's are the bad cops.

In the beginning, the UFC was seen as this clown sport where guys just pounded on each other.  They spent years refining the sport and making others believe that it is anything but that.  MMA was a sport where people of different fighting styles and nationalities from around the world can test their abilities against each other.

The actions of the last few years, all in the pursuit of money, show that they have come full circle.  UFC MMA is not a sport but an entertainment vehicle where what happens outside the Octagon is more important than what happens inside the Octagon.  It is all just a show.  Instead of random guys wailing on each other, they at least have similar weights at the weigh-in.  Everything else is just the clown show they tried to avoid when they started.

• Like 1

Dana didn't take any responsibility.  He,  Rogan and seemingly everyone employed pretended that Connor never showed up with people at the parking area and threw a dolly which injured several people.  

Dana was asked if maybe they shouldn't have used that footage to promote the fight. He said basically it was fine that they used the footage and he'd do it again.  

I haven't watched UFC in a few years but if they could guarantee me I'd get to see at least one loudmouth racist get his ass handed to him every show I would start shelling out for PPVs again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I haven't watched UFC in a few years but if they could guarantee me I'd get to see at least one loudmouth racist get his ass handed to him every show I would start shelling out for PPVs again.

This. 

Honestly, the fact that it turned into Conor losing and then his whole crew eating shit in a massive brawl is the most interested I've been in MMA since Rouseymania.

6 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

What the NSAC should do is take the UFC to task for letting these actions build up and not rely on the NSAC to punish their fighters.  

I have a question, what is in it for the NSAC to punish the UFC?  Seriously, why would they do that?  The UFC doesn't need the NSAC nearly as much as the NSAC needs the UFC.  If the UFC says, "Fuck you, we are going to take half of our Vegas events and move them to New York, Los Angeles, Brooklyn, they are out of millions of dollars, while the UFC loses little to nothing.  There is a reason NSAC, UDADA, and whoever else, bends over for the UFC, it's because they constantly bring in cash.  The UFC puts on multiple events every single month.  Vegas gets more of those events than anyone else.  The UFC is too important to the NSAC for them to actually do anything to harm that relationship.

The top comment from that drunken fan fight Thibs posted:

IF ONE OF US GETS WHOOPED... WE ALL GET WHOOPED !

L O L

I love this shit so much. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Machida, respectful, traditional martial artists but Conor and his fans had this coming for years of race baiting and other slurs. I enjoy McGregor for what he is, but there are consequences for being a shithead of that magnitude. Meltzer claiming NSAC suspends Khabib for a year and he gets stripped. I fucking doubt that. He'll get 6 months tops and keep the belt. They'll use the footage to promote the inevitable rematch that Conor's already building up (and you know he doesn't really want it, he did not have that confident swagger on the way to the octagon last night... False bravado). 

And how did the NSAC clear Conor of any wrongdoing when they would've had all of UFC's camera angles and doubtlessly would've seen Conor throwing the first punch against Khabib's cornermen? It's all such a ludicrous joke.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The top comment from that drunken fan fight Thibs posted:

L O L

I love this shit so much. Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Machida, respectful, traditional martial artists but Conor and his fans had this coming for years of race baiting and other slurs. I enjoy McGregor for what he is, but there are consequences for being a shithead of that magnitude. Meltzer claiming NSAC suspends Khabib for a year and he gets stripped. I fucking doubt that. He'll get 6 months tops and keep the belt. They'll use the footage to promote the inevitable rematch that Conor's already building up (and you know he doesn't really want it, he did not have that confident swagger on the way to the octagon last night... False bravado). 

And how did the NSAC clear Conor of any wrongdoing when they would've had all of UFC's camera angles and doubtlessly would've seen Conor throwing the first punch against Khabib's cornermen? It's all such a ludicrous joke.

Who made the comment? The drunk Irish guy? Didn’t hear it.

Or you mean in the YouTube comment section?

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I have a question, what is in it for the NSAC to punish the UFC?  Seriously, why would they do that?  The UFC doesn't need the NSAC nearly as much as the NSAC needs the UFC.  If the UFC says, "Fuck you, we are going to take half of our Vegas events and move them to New York, Los Angeles, Brooklyn, they are out of millions of dollars, while the UFC loses little to nothing.  There is a reason NSAC, UDADA, and whoever else, bends over for the UFC, it's because they constantly bring in cash.  The UFC puts on multiple events every single month.  Vegas gets more of those events than anyone else.  The UFC is too important to the NSAC for them to actually do anything to harm that relationship.

36 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Yup.  They are all in bed with one another and we wait until someone gets seriously hurt so everyone can stand around shrugging shoulders like there was nothing they could do to prevent this.

It is a serious black eye for the sport.  Once they cashed out and hit the mainstream, the UFC just devolved into what they said they wanted to avoid becoming.  

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That fucking Ole chant... ugh. 

You know how Irish people like to define themselves as 'not British'? Well, British crowds are known for singing songs with tunes, and lyrics. So the Irish, having to be different, go with the American one word chant style.

Regarding that video above: does this place have no security at all? And if this does the whole lot of them should be fired. I mean you have an altercation that lasts more than two minutes without any security showing up and try to defuse the situation.

• Like 1