DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 137: Santos vs. Anders (9/22/2018) - São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Elsalvajeloco

DnXbZNmW0AIpCr6.jpg

UFC Fight Night 137: Santos vs. Anders 
September 22, 2018
São Paulo, Brazil (Ginásio do Ibirapuera)

Thiago Santos (203.5) vs. Eryk Anders (205.5) - Santos, TKO (referee stoppage), R3 (5:00)
Alex Oliveira (171) vs. Carlo Pedersoli Jr. (170.5) - Oliveira, KO (punches), R1 (0:39)
Sam Alvey (205.5) vs. Antônio Rogério Nogueira (205.5) - Nogueira, TKO (punches), R2 (1:00)
Renan Barão (141.75)* vs. Andre Ewell (135) - Ewell, DEC (split)
Randa Markos (115.5) vs. Marina Rodriguez (115.5) - DRAW (majority)

Fox Sports 2 Preliminary Card:
Charles Oliveira (154) vs. Christos Giagos (155.5) - Oliveira, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:32)
Francisco Trinaldo (155) vs. Evan Dunham (156) - Trinaldo, KO (knee to the body), R2 (4:10)
Luiz Henrique (205) vs. Ryan Spann (204) - Spann, DEC (unanimous)
Augusto Sakai (265.5) vs. Chase Sherman (257) - Sakai, TKO (strikes), R3 (4:03)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Sérgio Moraes (171) vs. Ben Saunders (170.5) - Moraes, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (4:42)
Mayra Bueno Silva (125.5) vs. Gillian Robertson (125.5) - Silva, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:55)
Thales Leites (186) vs. Hector Lombard (185.5) - Leites, DEC (unanimous)
Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos (170.5) vs. Luigi Vendramini (170.5) - Dos Santos, KO (flying knee and punch), R2 (1:20)
Livia Renata Souza (116) vs. Alex Chambers (116) - Souza, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (1:21)

*Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Performance of the Night: Antônio Rogério Nogueira
Fight of the Night: Thiago Santos vs. Eryk Anders

Attendance: 9,485
Rating: 607,000 viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Luiz Henrique vs. Mark Godbeer - Injury to Godbeer 
Ketlen Vieira vs. Tonya Evinger - Injury to Vieira (Knee) 
Glover Teixeira vs. Jimi Manuwa - Injury to Teixeira (Shoulder) 
Alex Oliveira vs. Neil Magny - Magny Moved to Another Event 
Antônio Carlos Júnior vs. Elias Theodorou - Injury to Carlos Júnior/Bout Rescheduled 
Belal Muhammad vs. Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos - Injury to Muhammad 
Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago Santos - Injury to Manuwa (Torn Hamstring) 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Gun-shy Anders seems like an ideal opponent for Santos. Once he gets going, he's a fucking machine with those body kicks. 

lol @ Hector Lombard on the Fight Pass prelims. That guy looked to have such a high ceiling and continually fucked up.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Gun-shy Anders seems like an ideal opponent for Santos. Once he gets going, he's a fucking machine with those body kicks. 

lol @ Hector Lombard on the Fight Pass prelims. That guy looked to have such a high ceiling and continually fucked up.

I don't know if Lombard had a high ceiling as much as the MW division was completely lifeless outside the UFC besides a handful of fighters. I mean Jorge Santiago put together a solid career reviving run in Sengoku. How did that pan out in the UFC against mid tier opposition?  All Lombard did was put together a respectable run to earn his way back to a major organization. A 5'9" middleweight can only go so far.

Also, if he can't beat a guy who is retiring and likely mentally checked out, he has to be PFL or Bare Knuckle Boxing (or whatever they call it) bound. He can't survive six straight losses.

As far as Marreta vs. Anders...I think Marreta thrives against fighters who are offensively weaker than him or can't just submit him like a Eric Spicely. Anders has firepower as well. I will probably pick Marreta when all is said and done, but if he gets straight leveled like he did against Branch, I won't be surprised.

Alex Chambers is a nice introductory fighter for Livinha. She has personality so hopefully she can go far. I think the one hitch she will face is she isn't a great natural athlete. She can be well rounded, but I think the difference between her and say Dern and Virna Jandiroba is their ground game is automatic lights out. At strawweight against the top 15, that's going to mean a lot. If she doesn't have the athleticism, I don't see her breaking into the top 5. Hopefully, Livinha can prove me wrong.

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Alex Chambers is a nice introductory fighter for Livinha. She has personality so hopefully she can go far. I think the one hitch she will face is she isn't a great natural athlete. She can be well rounded, but I think the difference between her and say Dern and Virna Jandiroba is their ground game is automatic lights out. At strawweight against the top 15, that's going to mean a lot. If she doesn't have the athleticism, I don't see her breaking into the top 5. Hopefully, Livinha can prove me wrong.

may be a longshot but I'm rooting for the underdog in that one, I love Chambers. Livia can be a killer though for sure.

8 minutes ago, DreamBroken said:

I didn't even get it on in time to see it... but that's probably for the best, poor sweet Astro Girl : (

Livinha hit her hard standing with wild overhand rights, backed her up to the cage, single leg takedown, got into mount, and finally mounted guillotine. Pay window. At no point in that 80 seconds was Chambers in the fight.

Meanwhile, Zaleski dos Santos just slaughtered Luigi.

Tired Santos said fuck it and threw everything he had at Anders and Anders almost took it. That was violent and seeing a dude collapse like that repeatedly is scary. That was a way better performance from Anders than the Machida fight and while he's got holes technically in his grappling and footwork, he's got a helluva chin, pretty good offensive boxing and awesome athleticism. 

Just now, Oyaji said:

Tired Santos said fuck it and threw everything he had at Anders and Anders almost took it. That was violent and seeing a dude collapse like that repeatedly is scary. That was a way better performance from Anders than the Machida fight and while he's got holes technically in his grappling and footwork, he's got a helluva chin, pretty good offensive boxing and awesome athleticism. 

Between Sherman and Anders, I'm guessing the obvious prerequisite for football is being too tough for your own good.

• Like 1