DVDVR Message Board

Crown Jewel - 11/2/18 from null, null

John from Cincinnati

Yeah, I guarantee you, regardless of whether or not this journalist was murdered (which, he absolutely was), short of the US going to war with the Saudis, there's less than zero percent chance this show isn't going off.  

The President doesn't care about this, neither does Vince.    So while this is something to keep an eye on, nothing will probably come of it with relation to this show.  

I wonder if it's even worth contacting their sponsors via Twitter.  It was one thing when Snickers had them drop the Moolah part of the battle royal at Wrestlemania.  But with the money being thrown around I don't think that would matter to WWE.  But there should be something done considering Linda is on 45's cabinet and her husband's company is running a show there.  It's too bad WWE is so little-regarded in the mainstream that not even activists would say much of anything about it (unless I'm looking in the wrong places)

Oh, and it's been a few weeks but fuck Saudi Arabia.

• Like 1

Look, nothing's going to happen because of this. The Saudis buy billions of dollars worth of weapons from the US. 

It doesn't matter who the president is, that relationship is iron clad. One dead journalist is not going to get anything more than maybe a mild diplomatic sanction. That's the best case scenario. More likely nothing fucking happens and everyone waits for it to blow over.

WWE is making at least 40 million dollars this year from the KSA (and that's the low end estimate, and we don't yet know if that was the total payoff for the year or if it only covered The Greatest Royal Rumble or if it was for both shows) so there's no way even a bit of advertising pressure is going to change this. They aren't getting $40-90 million from Snickers.

• Like 1

I mean we all have a “one dismemberment forgiveness” price and for most of us it’s probably less than 40 million dollars right?  Maybe Vince can use some of that to have a Washington Post Coupon day on Smackdown or something to even things out. That’s the invisible hand of the market at work. Sawing and sawing away.

• Like 3

They didn’t hesitate to do an Iran/Saudi angle at the last show. At this point I half-expect them to have one of their recent Saudi signees do a parody dressup skit as the journalist.

I'm inside the DC bubble but this definitely feels bigger than usual between Corker pressing down hard on it and lobbyists dropping them. People are dropping like flies from the Future Investment Initiative conference. I don't want to stumble into Seth Abramson land either, but the fact that Nader is cooperating with Mueller makes it all feel like whether this doesn't backfire on them now, it might well at some point. There is a lot more bad PR to come.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still don't expect anything to change but "bigger" things are starting to bail on Saudi Arabia

Richard Branson halted his billion dollar space program dealie and both CNN and Bloomberg have bailed on the Future Investment Initiative conference that was supposed to happen later this month.

So - in theory - the more people that leave stuff, the more likely someone looks at the WWE

Again - more likely they will do this show but then try and figure out a way to bail on the remaining like 8 years of the deal

• Like 1

Senators Urge WWE to ‘Pause’ Upcoming Saudi Arabia Event: Trump Should Maybe ‘Prevail Upon Them Not Doing It’

https://ijr.com/senators-wwe-saudi-arabia-event-crown-jewl/

Pertinent quotes:

“This is a brazen assault on the freedom of the press and a slap in the face to the United States, if this murder occurred as it seems it did,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) told IJR when asked about the upcoming WWE event. Murphy not only sits on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, he also represents Connecticut, where WWE headquarters are located.

“I’d hope that they would be rethinking their relationship with the kingdom especially with respect to events coming up in the next weeks like [WWE Crown Jewl],” Murphy added.

“There should be a pause,” Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) told IJR concerning WWE’s business dealings with the kingdom. 

“Private enterprise is private enterprise, different than a governmental entity,” Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) told IJR, “but because [Linda McMahon] is part of the president’s cabinet, it falls into the grey area where the administration really should give it some thought and maybe even prevail upon them not doing it.”

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hammerva said:

When I saw the article and looked at the number of democrats I dismissed the article because at this point their opinions don't matter in Trump world.  But Lindsey Graham is a whole other issue.  

I'm sure Chris Murphy's opinion means a little something to a Connecticut-based company.

14 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

I'm sure Chris Murphy's opinion means a little something to a Connecticut-based company.

Plus the small matter of that company's former President & CEO now part of the Trump administration.

When you have Chris Murphy and Lindsey fucking Graham on the same side of an argument, big things are indeed happening. 

Once more, fuck Saudi Arabia. Good time to seize their assets and tell them to go fuck themselves. What are they going to do? Try and attack us with the outmoded weapons systems we've been selling them that aren't even capable of defeating Yemen? Yemen? I mean, really... if you can't beat Yemen in a war, just what the fuck good are you?

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In the WON update - Meltzer said that the WWE has been discussing internally back-up plans

I'm not grammar Nazi'ng here, I just wanted to share the chuckle that I got at the idea that this whole debacle is giving WWE staff constipation.

Oh, and fuck Saudi Arabia.

• Haha 2