DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I don't see anyone but Elgin winning this whole thing. Would like to see the winner of Page/Young get past Ciampa actually, and Kendrick getting past round 1 would be fantastic.

Does anyone know how many of these matches will be on the Sinclair show?

Would bringing in a disgruntled veteran tag team of Kid Kash and Christian York be the worst idea ever? Sure, they're close to the end of their careers and I wouldn't put them anywhere near the main event. But I think they still have something to offer. And the ROH roster is in desperate need of some veteran leadership.

But I'm the guy who thought they should bring ins Fit Finlay and Dave Taylor to challenge Haas and Benjamin a few years back.

• Like 1

I think they should take a page out of the Chikara book and bring in Johnny Saint. Watching him turtle up against Davey and get nearfalls with things like the Russ Abbott Special while the bewildered ROH faithful looks on would likely be my favorite thing of the year. 

I can't believe Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, or Jimmy Jacobs aren't in this tourney. Hell, to a lesser degree, Kyle O'Reily, Bobby Fish, Rhett Titus, Rhino, et cetera. I get that some of these people have contracts expiring or are pre-booked, but you're telling me you couldn't get these people in the tourney to lose in the first round for some upsets?

It's not that I think the tourney is weak, but they filled it up with scrubs and people who never wrestle in the company. Definitely shows the state the company is in, to me.

Here's my rankings of who's most likely to win:

1. Adam Cole2. Michael Elgin3. Mark Briscoe4. Tommaso Ciampa5. Jay Lethal6. Mike Bennett7. ACH8. Matt Taven9. Adam Page (He's gonna win)10. BJ Whitmer11. Roderick Strong12. Kevin Steen13. Karl Anderson (I see him in the semi-finals though)14. Paul London15. Brian Kendrick16. Sonjay Dutt

I think the only thing that would make me interested in this is if they did a "This is Whitmer's last shot to cement his legacy in ROH" deal, but fall just short to one of the younger guys. I remember really liking his title match against Morishima, and even though the average ROH fan has changed a bit, I think they would still get behind one of the last remnants of the glory years. 

For those of you who follow the backstage stuff, has ROH EVER tried to get Sedrick Strong to come in? 

I know thanks to Google that he's basically retired and working full-time at an auto parts business, but I can't believe ROH never tried to get him at least for one date to do something like Briscoes vs. Roderick/Sedrick or Jay Briscoe/Sedrick vs. Roderick Strong/Mark Briscoe.

Would bringing in a disgruntled veteran tag team of Kid Kash and Christian York be the worst idea ever? Sure, they're close to the end of their careers

It's surreal to think back to when York and Joey Matthews were "starting out" in the Maryland indies in 1998 and now he's "almost finished."

Christ I feel old, and I'm only 34.

Would bringing in a disgruntled veteran tag team of Kid Kash and Christian York be the worst idea ever? Sure, they're close to the end of their careers and I wouldn't put them anywhere near the main event. But I think they still have something to offer. And the ROH roster is in desperate need of some veteran leadership.

One of my favorite things about ROH back in the day, was that they had guys who were vets like Carnage Crew who weren't "Indy Workrate Darlings". 

I've always thought BJ was garbage, but he did have some amazing matches with Jimmy Jacobs. The storyline was solid and the heat for their matches was off the chain. Of course, most of it stems from that blown turnbuckle spot that looked like death.

• Like 1

I've always thought BJ was garbage, but he did have some amazing matches with Jimmy Jacobs. The storyline was solid and the heat for their matches was off the chain. Of course, most of it stems from that blown turnbuckle spot that looked like death.

He had a great little match just before that series in 2006 with Samoa Joe that ended with a KO I think, just a really hard-hitting match that I think was his best non Jacobs match in ROH - I also loved his short Morishima match at the first PPV in 2007...

It's surreal to think back to when York and Joey Matthews were "starting out" in the Maryland indies in 1998 and now he's "almost finished."

Christ I feel old, and I'm only 34.

I know that feel. I remember when AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan Danielson were just "starting out"... and now AJ is 36 and DBry is 32. Chris Daniels is 43! I am old.

I know that feel. I remember when AJ Styles and Daniel Bryan Danielson were just "starting out"... and now AJ is 36 and DBry is 32. Chris Daniels is 43! I am old.

According to Hogan, AJ is still the up and coming youngster who is the future of TNA.

I was stunned by the lack of heat for the title match.

I don't think it helped that Hardy kinda ran out of moves after about 5 minutes "Hmm, I did the side-effect, the twist of fate, the twist of fate again, the turnbuckle shouty thing, then twist of fate, what do I have left?!  I know!  Another Twist of Fate!"This is pretty much my first time watching ROH TV in full and I actually love the Matt Hardy gimmick of bloated old guy (who's not THAT old) who talks about his glory days and cheats to win then brags about how good he is.That Strong-Cole match was kinda pointless to me.

Also, what is Ms Chif's gimmick?  Is she supposed to be constantly constipated?  Because, if not, she should really talk differently.

Also, what is Ms Chif's gimmick?  Is she supposed to be constantly constipated?  Because, if not, she should really talk differently.

ha, laughed out loud at this.. gonna think it any time I hear her now too.

Since the TPI when Whitmer had a run in with fans I've always felt kinda bad for him. He clearly tries really hard and keeps himself in good shape. It's just he's so bland and boring that nobody cares. Fans have given him a rough ride.

That's Whitmer's problem. The fans give him a ride, he doesn't take them on one. I don't feel sorry for him, even though I recognize it's a shit spot to be in.

I second the notion that him doing well in the tournament but not winning might create some buzz and be the final payoff his character has sort of earned in a sad way.