DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Saw about half of Young Bucks vs. Sydal and ACH last night. Never seen ACH before and he did the dopest running backflip dive over the top rope, it wasn't even a moonsault, more like he was stagediving. I wish the Bucks would've heeled it up more but they did the handshake and I was sad. Those guys are too damn pretty and flippy for them to work as faces, that gimmick is perfect for heeling.

If you ever get a chance, watch their stuff in PWG, it's exactly how you mention it.

• Like 1

Someone on PWG's forum mentioned that he talked to Cedric & Ciampa after this past weekend's show and they told him Fish, O'Reilly, Cole, and Elgin are done with PWG.  So there may be something to the "ROH is going to start locking guys down" stories.  Or it might just be guys talking out their asses.

It's seems to be true. ROH wants to lock certain guys, and pre-approve outside gigs. PWG is apparently a no-no. Pretty sure Joey Ryan confirmed Cole and O'Reilly are done with PWG, which is too bad, because while I haven't watched the past 4 or so PWG shows, O'Reilly and Cole were some of the best parts of that company in the past couple of years.

Well, yeah, I just meant in general.  I wonder if ADR charges more than, say, AJ or Hero.

You wonder if a recent (2013), former WWE Champion charges more than AJ Styles or Chris Hero? :P

I would say yes.

Psyched that Jake Dirden is in the Top Prospects' Tournament...hope he does well.

Participant list so far with one more name to be announced:
Will Ferrara

Ashley Sixx

Mikey Webb

J. Diesel
Dalton Castle (aka CHIKARA's Ashley Remington)

"Beer City Bruiser" Matt Winchester

Jake Dirden

That was particularly fun on ROH TV this past weekend when Jay & Mark Briscoe were facing Jay Lethal and J. Diesel. #marketconfusion

I think you mean #markconfusion, as in, Chicken had no clue who to tag out to.

That's a safe bet Ferrara and Diesel are in the finals.  They had that mini feud after Ferrara eliminated Lethal in the Honor Rumble.  It'd be a nice call back to that.  It might be a bit too obvious for those following along, but I don't see that as a bad thing.

The rest of the guy I have no idea about, so I'm curious on who is worth paying attention to.

It's seems to be true. ROH wants to lock certain guys, and pre-approve outside gigs. PWG is apparently a no-no. Pretty sure Joey Ryan confirmed Cole and O'Reilly are done with PWG, which is too bad, because while I haven't watched the past 4 or so PWG shows, O'Reilly and Cole were some of the best parts of that company in the past couple of years.

Yeah, O'Reilly dropped the PWG title and Cole did sort of a farewell speech(He said he was getting shoulder surgery but basically said he won't be back for awhile) on the last show. I find it kinda weird that Roderick Strong was the one that won the title though. I guess he doesn't have an exclusive contract with ROH?

The Ciampa-Cedric no-DQ match on TV this past weekend was pretty nuts.  Nice nod to history with Corino getting a PTSD flashback over the guardrail superplex.

Watching it live it was crazy.  We thought for sure one or both of them would be pretty fucked up from it.  I remember asking Cedric afterwards about it and he said surprisingly they were fine.  If you like no-DQ matches this is worth a look.

Also have to laugh at Papadon.  He put a lot of Greek elements in there I picked up on, but the whole thing seems out of place for ROH.  He's technically not bad though.  Still find it funny seeing him at a local show held by a Greek church.  They trotted him out there expecting the crowd to care and nobody gave a damn.

• Like 1

I remember thinking Ciampa's name sounded oddly familiar when he started with ROH("Tommaso" not being a common name, obviously)...it turned out that he'd competed for Harley Race's WLW promotion a few times in late 2008-early 2009.

The Ciampa-Cedric no-DQ match on TV this past weekend was pretty nuts.  Nice nod to history with Corino getting a PTSD flashback over the guardrail superplex.

Watching it live it was crazy.  We thought for sure one or both of them would be pretty fucked up from it.  I remember asking Cedric afterwards about it and he said surprisingly they were fine.  If you like no-DQ matches this is worth a look.

Also have to laugh at Papadon.  He put a lot of Greek elements in there I picked up on, but the whole thing seems out of place for ROH.  He's technically not bad though.  Still find it funny seeing him at a local show held by a Greek church.  They trotted him out there expecting the crowd to care and nobody gave a damn.

How's the new building compared to the Du Burns arena?  I have to say it looks better on TV.  Whenever they taped at Du Burns, they'd screw up the camera angles and make it obvious the place was 3/4 empty.

The building itself is crap compared to Du Burns.  Doesn't help that Du Burns was in Canton which is awesome and this one is in a generally not-safe area.  When the house lights are on it's obvious it isn't the best-looking place around.  But I agree, the camera angles are better there and it comes across well enough on TV.

Was figuring on Ferrara-Diesel being the finals and they went and made that a first-round match.  Here are the matchups:

J. Diesel vs. Will Ferrara
Donovan Dijak vs. Jake Dirden
Ashley Sixx vs. Dalton Castle
Beer City Bruiser vs. Mikey Webb

The building itself is crap compared to Du Burns.  Doesn't help that Du Burns was in Canton which is awesome and this one is in a generally not-safe area.  When the house lights are on it's obvious it isn't the best-looking place around.  But I agree, the camera angles are better there and it comes across well enough on TV.

You'd think a company whose corporate HQ is in Cockeysville/Hunt Valley could tape in a decent high school/college gym or similar building up around that way where the odds of getting shot would be lower.  Of course, Sinclair is known for being incredibly cheap and I guess filming in the armpit of Baltimore is easier on the wallet.

Edit: I just looked it up and the area is actually called "Arundel Village," so going there would violate a rule I established for my own personal safety long ago: never go anywhere with "village" or "heights" in the name.

• Like 1