DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

Am I incorrect that it was part of Vader's AJ contract that he wasn't allowed to job in the US, and that's why he never showed up in ECW?

It might have more to do with the fact he wouldn't get paid if he showed up in ECW.

And he was rumored to have thought Taz was to small

This argument is dumb. On one hand, wrestling is a work, so it really doesn't matter if Elgin or AJ does a job in a promotion other than the one they are the champion in. On the other hand, this is pro wrestling, and the person holding the belt is supposed to protect the title no matter what. This has been going on for DECADES. In other words, neither side is inherently wrong.

Not sure if this is recent ROH TV or an old one but I saw an episode on CST channel last night with a great AJ Styles vs Kyle O Reilly and a really good Young Bucks vs Briscoes matches from Milwaukee.  Only negative I have with the Young Bucks match is that Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino seems more interested in popping themselves then calling the actual match. Luckily they controlled it a little bit at the end.   I am not sure if that is a regular thing (I know they the regular team) but not my thing.  The only other negative on the show is that the lighting was awful.  

Also I assume the Jim Ross isn't a fan of the Young Bucks based on Corino's comment about how JR loves when they super kick people.   Given their style it wouldn't surprise me

Not sure if this is recent ROH TV or an old one but I saw an episode on CST channel last night with a great AJ Styles vs Kyle O Reilly and a really good Young Bucks vs Briscoes matches from Milwaukee. Only negative I have with the Young Bucks match is that Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino seems more interested in popping themselves then calling the actual match. Luckily they controlled it a little bit at the end. I am not sure if that is a regular thing (I know they the regular team) but not my thing. The only other negative on the show is that the lighting was awful.

Also I assume the Jim Ross isn't a fan of the Young Bucks based on Corino's comment about how JR loves when they super kick people. Given their style it wouldn't surprise me

The matches on this week show weren from the Milwaukee card I was at a few weeks ago. The Briscoes/Bucks match is probably in my Top 5 of live matches I have seen. The last three to four minutes was amazing.

I couldn't tell when I was at the show, but the lighting is indeed atrocious. The corners are nearly completely dark. Jim Ross certainly has a point on that aspect. If Cornette is to be believed, Sinclair refuses to spend any money to improve the product. I tend to believe him since there are still using the same show intro featuring Rhyno.

NJPW has no right to give a crap about AJ Styles jobbing unless they keep him from wrestling elsewhere by paying him a full-time salary to the point where they can tell him not to wrestle on the indies anymore. Ift theyre not willing to do that, they they shouldn't give a crap what he does.

A champion of a major promotion shouldn't be doing jobs in other places. Also, beyond that...guys like Elgin and Styles are big enough names at this point to have a lot of say whether that happens or not.  Elgin, being the champion of basically a nationally syndicated wrestling program, should have known better. Style holds probably the second most prestigious wrestling title in the world. He definitely won't be losing at the Armory to George South. 

I haven't seen BOLA yet; all I know is footage from the preview videos for the shows.  The video for night 1 shows the ring entrances and Elgin doesn't have the belt.  AJ is carrying his NJ belt, though.  As far as precedent for ROH and PWG, I remember Austin Aries came out with the ROH belt sometime between 2009 and 2010 when he worked a handful of PWG shows while he was ROH champ, but I don't think any ROH champ has done that since.  I know Cole didn't.

If the whole issue is all this pearl clutching over what the esteemed Tokyo Sports going to say, and how the fans will feel, than why limit it at jobs?  AJ wrestles in front of thousands in NJPW.  Won't pics of him working an American Legion hall diminish him and the belt, too?  I remember feeling embarrassed in 2004 looking at pics of Misawa, hailed as a legend on the message boards, working in front 300 people at a rinky dink Mike Modest show.  Did fans in Japan see those pics and have the same WTF reaction? 

People can bitch, but at least ROH did a surprise title switch. And in the end, made the right call even if for the wrong reasons.

Yeah, ROH isn't what it was prestige-wise but it's always been pretentious and that's hardly a bad thing in wrestling. The idea is to get the belt and make yourself an top Indy guy and/or get a tryout from the WWE. Richards and Edwards got a tryout, Briscoe would be signed if he wasn't a dumb fuck, Noble/Gibson is still employed by WWE, Samoa Joe had the option of working there - it's a good thing to have on your resume. If people don't think the ROH Title is worth a damn, then it's not signiificant if some guy loses it now, is it?

So thats a whole other argument. Why didn't Elgin rep ROH? I understand the whole its an indy blah blah blah. On the other hand why would I spend money on said indy if the champ is disinterested? And I have no qualms with AJ protecting the IWGP belt. The whole argument is stupid to me. "Its just the indies who cares if you protect a championship the fans are in on it". Thats the most bass ackwords thinking and reasoning I have ever heard. Thats like Brad Pitt while promoting a film going "who gives a shit about the plot im in it and thats all you wanna see anyway". Just cuz wrestling is predetermined and more entertainment based doesnt mean that it can't hold some prestigious and should hold some pretigious. I was trying to stay out of this debate cuz I didn't want to leave a long winded rant plagued with sentence fragments but fuck it. A peacock has to fly. 

• Like 4

I really tried to be done with this one but the Brad Pitt argument doesnt really work. It's more like his character getting killed off in the opening scene of one movie impacting his next where he's seen as the all conquering hero

On another note I've been waiting forever for the DBD shows to appear on air and I forgot to DVR the show ffs. Gonna have to wait until thursday to see Styles/O'Reilly

A champion of a major promotion shouldn't be doing jobs in other places.

If said Champ needs to work to pay the bills, then yes he should.

I think Elgin and Styles are big enough indy names to have a bit of say in the matter. If it's in the case of a tournament or what have you, a DQ or countout works. If you're the champion of a major promotion, you have to make sure you're booked strong wherever you are. 

Unrelated: I gather from online chatter that ROH has picked up. I watched the iPPV and just watched The Addiction against The Bucks. Is this a good time to jump back aboard the Ring of Honor train?

If I were paying AJ Styles however much he charges for any indy booking (and it ain't cheap, I'm sure), I'd hate to be hamstrung by his other employer who's too cheap to give him a full-time gig.

Too bad $5 Wrestling can't have him job to Freight Train.

• Like 1