DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I just youtubed him and found a cage match of him and Roderick Strong vs Mike Sullivan and Scoot Andrews.

Whatever happened to Scoot Andrews?

Yeah! The latter team was called "Naturally Marvelous" if I remember correctly (for their nicknames "Black Nature Boy" Scoot Andrews and "Marvelous" Mike Sullivan). They probably say it in the video, though.

If I also remember correctly, Andrews, Sullivan, and Billy Fives had a three-way match more than a few years back (maybe a decade ago now; the time does fly by) here in Florida that was billed as Andrews' retirement match. So, that's what happened to Andrews.

Some of the IPW Hardcore alumni who appeared in WWE, TNA, or RoH over the years, off the top of my head, include Antonio Banks (MVP), Erick Stevens, Mikey Batts, Jerrelle Clark, Mike and Todd Shane, and, of course, the aforementioned Roderick Strong. I always wondered what happened to Sedrick (apparently not actually Roderick's brother).

EDIT: Apparently Scoot Andrews was on RoH's first show! Neat. Also on Raw and Smackdown! Can't say I remember that.

• Like 1

The good reviews on the Toronto show have me optimistic about the NYC show next week.  Alexander/Okada and Tanahashi/Bennett should be really good.

The announcers mentioned a couple of times that Cedric Alexander was injured after his post match angle. And I don't think there was a single mention of Okada vs Alexander during the show. I don't know if it's due to their announce team being awful or because they're going to do something bigger with Okada. The stare-down between Okada, Styles and Elgin had me thinking they might actually pull the trigger on a 3way next week. But then I realized it might have just been to create hype for whichever of those two end up main eventing the Yokohama show on the 25th (Obviously Okada vs Styles).

But yeah, I'm ready for next week's show and I will probably spend a bunch of money on New Japan merch.

Really, all I want is the classic NJPW "King of Sports" shirt.  Maybe a sweet Tanahashi shirt if one catches my eye.  Gotta remember to get a size larger than my usual though.  I got a Misawa shirt back in 07, and I look 8 months pregnant in it, even after I lost 50 lbs.

ReDragon finally completing their hipster transformation was hilarious.  I think Kevin Kelly saying O'Reilly looked liked Huckleberry Finn might be the funniest thing he's ever said. 

The Matt Hardy ICON title made me crack the hell up.  It looks exactly like this AJPW belt I designed for Great Muta years ago.

I haven't been to a ROH show in a while but I remember an instance when they took cards back in 2007. I'd still bring some cash though.

Looks like Styles/Okada/Elgin is a big possibility now, especially with the video they dropped today. 

They were selling the King of Sports Lion Mark logo tees in various colors at Global Wars last week. So expect those in NYC. No Bullet Club shirts though. Their merch supposedly sold out really fast, so get in line early if you want to grab something.

• Like 1

So yeah Young Bucks/Red Dragon was fantastic last night. Shockingly Lethal/Kushida was a lot of fun. Steen/Nakamura and Cole/Liger delivered as expected. And at the end it was revealed that Christopher Daniels and a "mystery partner" (likely Kazarian) will be coming to ROH for Best in the World. So War of the Worlds was definitely worth $14.99.

ROH Show was sweet man. Just a few notes.

First off, this was my first indy show I have ever been to. Sorry if I offend some of you

1. My man "UltraLiger" (fake Liger dude), was funny all nigh. Watching him all night and imagining, "What if Liger was doing this" made him somewhat entertaining. He was standing behind me in line and ROH went back there, grabbed him and took him up front. Next thing I know he was sitting front row. Good stuff ROH.

His account: https://twitter.com/UltraLiger
His pics: https://twitter.com/UltraLiger

2. Let me say this and get this out of the way. It is so annoying how a lot of these fans conducted themselves. Does there need to be a chant for everything done? It gets to the point where it is annoying because you should chant when people do things above/beyond the norm right? Really annoying. And the dude sitting next to me started 50% of those chants.

3. The end of the Liger match was a disappointment. He tapped after that 2nd Figure Four. I was really like WTF man.

4. There were 500 Superkicks done last night. 300 done by the Young Bucks.

5. Speaking of the Young Bucks, their match vs reDragon was the match of the night. reDragon really stole the show, I have to look up some of their old stuff. Dudes impressed me a lot. Young Bucks had some nice moments as well.

6. Tanahashi's High Fly Flow to the outside of the ring as a thing of beauty.

7. Good to see my man Liger live. Both of them.

8. Was wild being around so many wrestling nerds. Dude's sitting behind me were discussing the Great Sasuke and how he never took his mask off for any political appearances. They had a lot of convos that I was eavesdropping on. Only at an indy show

9. Got to see an Okada dropkick. Never a complaint there. That 3 match wasn't much though.

10. Steen/Nakaura was solid.

Overall, good show. Probably the best wrestling show I have ever been to. My mind just has a hard time adjusting to indy wrestling. So many big moves done and people kicking out of them doesn't sit well with me. But they have their formula, who am I? I would like to see things toned down just a tad. Young dudes killing themselves, for what?

But yea man. I want to see the telecast.

• Like 1

I noticed that Ultra Liger dude before the show started. He was posing for a photo, so for a moment I thought that was the real Liger, especially from where I was sitting. It looked 100% authentic from that distance. 

As far as the actual Liger match, I thought it was going really well but I glanced away for a split second and when I looked back Liger had already submitted. So that was a bummer. But in hindsight, while abrupt, the finish made sense. Cole was working on his leg throughout the whole match.

Loved the show. Found a download for it so I'll try to watch it tonight. 

A. So the stream went without problems on the cusp of them going back to regular PPV?

B. I read Meltzer's site's recap of the NYC show. I know it's just an angle, but is the WWE even vaguely interested in Kevin Steen? I know he had a tryout...

Ah, thanks for the note. I continuously confused those two and the Bucks. Racist or my aging eyes, I'll continue to go with the latter. 

I had minimal problems with the stream but there was definitely an issue on Chrome when they were making switches. My browser plug-in crashed while I was waiting for the show to start, crashed again when they started intermission, and crashed again when they were leaving intermission. Other than that, I had a few times where it slowed but it never went completely out except for one time during Cole/Liger.

After having just watched the broadcast version of this, it doesn't help that Corino, Kelly and Cruise mispronounce their names. They were calling them "Jaydough" and "Getto" instead of "Jahdough and Gaydough".

I'm far from a ROH fanboy, but I really liked the Kushida/Lethal match. From where I was sitting, the only thing that stood out in a negative way was the finish. Kushida definitely missed his cue to set up for Lethal's handspring cutter. But I still really liked it, and even as a huge NJPW fan, I was never that big on Kushida.