DVDVR Message Board

The ROH Thread

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

The winner was picked by New Japan, not RoH. That show also marked the end of New Japan and RoH's working agreement or whatever it was they had, which then directly led to RoH aligning with NOAH and Kobashi vs. Joe, so you know, kinda worked out.

Weirdest part was that New Japan didn't even live up to there side. It was like the entire thing was just New Japan telling RoH to screw off or something.

I was at that show and it was a totally weird vibe going on the whole night. I remember enjoying the show, having a great moment when two guys in front of us started shouting bad Fast Eddie blind jokes and Eddies Dad was sitting with us. I had the pleasure of telling the two douchebags this and watching cringe reactions, some drunk took a swing at Punk and Punk went after him, the ROH staff guys told me they were all beat and dreading a long drive to the Mid West or something the next day, and there were insane winds coming off the ocean. Oh and Asbury Park was especially depressing to drive through. The show was originally supposed to be at the Rexplex, which was a place with a positive energy and this was just the opposite, haha.

I'm going through some old ROH DVDs and stumbled across the American Super Juniors tournament, what were the circumstances that lead to Kendo Kashin for one night being the greatest heel in company history?

I love Kashin but those fans weren't going to react in any way other than viewing it as a personal affront to them as wrestling fans. The whole thing was incredibly bizarre, it was like ROH was trolling their audience.

The winner was picked by New Japan, not RoH. That show also marked the end of New Japan and RoH's working agreement or whatever it was they had, which then directly led to RoH aligning with NOAH and Kobashi vs. Joe, so you know, kinda worked out.

Weirdest part was that New Japan didn't even live up to there side. It was like the entire thing was just New Japan telling RoH to screw off or something.

I was at that show and it was a totally weird vibe going on the whole night. I remember enjoying the show, having a great moment when two guys in front of us started shouting bad Fast Eddie blind jokes and Eddies Dad was sitting with us. I had the pleasure of telling the two douchebags this and watching cringe reactions, some drunk took a swing at Punk and Punk went after him, the ROH staff guys told me they were all beat and dreading a long drive to the Mid West or something the next day, and there were insane winds coming off the ocean. Oh and Asbury Park was especially depressing to drive through. The show was originally supposed to be at the Rexplex, which was a place with a positive energy and this was just the opposite, haha.

From watching it you could sense an odd atmosphere pretty early. I can't blame the crowd being too upset about the tournament itself though: A field with Danielson, Gibson, Spanky, Shelley, Strong, Sydal, a nd a masked Romero should have been great. And while Danielson/Spanky and Gibson/Strong were both fantastic, I'd have been hoping for a lot more in the semis and finals.

I'm glad the roh show did well last night.  I would've gone if I had money (setting aside money for the rumble tonight) and if I had a little more interest in some of the guys they have currently.  Hopefully this means they come back to the same place, it was only about 2 miles from my house.

It would seem to be a safe bet on paper that they return. It was more expensive to run obviously but:

1 - They had triple the fans from the last time. Couldn't have been more than 300-400 at the last show

2 - It's a professional building and just makes ROH look better than the Rostraver Ice Gardens

3 - It's actually in the city and doesn't require a hassle to get to

I do think the Rumble probably made sure a few fans didn't come. It's asking a lot for fans to go to shows 2 nights in a row(I wouldn't have gone had someone else paid) and it is expensive.

yea I think the cheapest was 25, and that was a bit much considering I'm really only interested to see Hero, Cole, and that's about it.  And the 3 way tag match wasn't much of a draw for him.   Did they have tickets at the door or anything?  At one point I almost drove down to see if there were any cheap seats available to fill it up for tv, but the snow and laziness kept me away. 

I know 4-5 other people that chose not to go due to the rumble the next day.

edit: LOL, random oblivious necropost, delete if needed

So after reading those results from PWinsider, is safe to say that New York Ring of Honor fans are the worst fans in wrestling.   Seems like every time there is a big ROH show in New York the fans desperately try to make it about themselves. 

Essen, Germany, mid-2000s..

yea I think the cheapest was 25, and that was a bit much considering I'm really only interested to see Hero, Cole, and that's about it.  And the 3 way tag match wasn't much of a draw for him.   Did they have tickets at the door or anything?  At one point I almost drove down to see if there were any cheap seats available to fill it up for tv, but the snow and laziness kept me away. 

I know 4-5 other people that chose not to go due to the rumble the next day.

They had tickets at the door. You also would have had to pay for parking.

The last time they ran Richmond, they had FREE tickets at the door so you never know.  My buddies & I went to the box office with money in hand and bought tickets but as we were standing in line some around us were telling us they just got handed tickets at the box office or got a freebie thrown in after buying a couple.  I figured the box office folks were told to be liberal with helping get people in.  It's really sad how many tickets they sell with TV in the market.  I'm really bummed that ROH won't be back in Richmond though unless they find a new street team.

Interesting article on WWE.com about how Ring of Honor has influenced them with the stars that were created there.   I can't remember an indy getting this much pub from one of the big companies.   Something tells me that when Sinclair eventually gets rid of ROH that they might swoop them up for the library

http://www.wwe.com/inside/the-ring-of-honor-influence

They definitely will, if only because it'll help pad future DVD sets for Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro and the like.

Which Jon Moxley ROH match do you prefer? His classic with Mitch Franklin or the much talked about tag team match where he went toe to toe with Bobby Dempsey?

• Like 4

I didn't even know Ambrose wrestled in Ring of Honor.

I think that since Gabe was a major part of the article, he was referring to Ambrose's stuff for Evolve/DGUSA.

You would be correct. I get my indy timelines mixed up, so that's my bad.

That said, Bobby Dempsey was awesome and I'd be stoked to watch Jon Moxley vs. Bobby Dempsey.

He probably did some Do or Die or Pre Show stuff. I remember some people saying he would be a good fit for AotF and all the other people being "PLS NO JON MOXLEY, HE'S TERRIBLE".

Also, has anyone heard Ambrose burying the guys from DGUSA for not selling on Colt's podcast? That was a fun tirade. 

They definitely will, if only because it'll help pad future DVD sets for Bryan, Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro and the like.

Which Jon Moxley ROH match do you prefer? His classic with Mitch Franklin or the much talked about tag team match where he went toe to toe with Bobby Dempsey?

Tremendously douchey response but goddamn that was funny.