DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING PHOTOS

RIPPA

Reading Nakamura's book (everybody get it, it's so damn good!) and he talks about his sparring sessions with Inoki while he was in California.  Inoki is one wacky motherfucker be it sparring or...whatever the fuck that is going on in that picture.

This is from the site that I stole the photo from:

I mean, that’s really all you can say to this photo, right? Unfortunately, this isn’t a Tumblr so I kind of have to find another 300 words or so in order to justify making this a complete post.

It never really occurred to me until today that, because he’s Japanese, “Antonio” quite clearly isn’t Inoki’s first name. It’s actually “Kanji”, the “Antonio” is a tribute to dead 60s wrestler Antonino Rocca. No short-form piece on Inoki is really complete without mentioning the story of how, back in the 1990s, he purchased a deserted island in the middle of nowhere from the Cuban government under the belief that hidden treasure was buried on it. He promptly renamed the place “Inoki Friendship Island” and, to the best of my knowledge, he has yet to find Castro’s doubloon stash on the land mass.

This picture, for reference’s sake, comes from one of the traditional New Year’s Eve MMA cards from Japan, Dream Genki Desu Ka. Again, to reiterate, this was an evening of MMA. After a worked match between Josh Barnett and Hideki Suzuki, Inoki was carried from the entrance ramp to the ring tied to a cross. Upon reaching the ring, he was let down from the cross and picked up a bucket of paint. Inoki begins to paint some Japanese symbol in the ring while cutting a promo simultaneously, possibly to mark another one of his retirements. This is interrupted by a run-in committee of guys in turbans who start beating Inoki down with kendo sticks, apologise, raise his hand in victory and then give him a kendo stick before leaving the ring peacefully. There really isn’t any need to try and make any logic out of any point of that.

Yeah, imagine staying up late on New Year's and seeing that on HDNet (now AXSTV) at 5 in the morning. At that point I wasn't sure that the booze hadn't made me start hallucinating. 

BTW, that Barnett/Suzuki match is badass

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

antoni_inoki_crucifix.jpg

EDIT: From the Discussion board 

"And I watched DREAM too which had Inoki show up on a crucifix one late, drunken New Year's haha"

Afterwards he had a stick fight with I think Tiger Jeet Singh or his son. It was really weird. 

That tops crucified Sandman wearing a crown of barbed wire.

That hypocritical bastard didn't say anything when Vince had Austin hung on a "symbol".

I watched the Rise and Fall of ECW doc yesterday because I hadn't seen it in awhile and boy did the crucifixion not get over. Everyone is dead silent in that footage. Luckily the Forever Hardcore doc got Raven and Hak's POVs about it because we got gems like Raven being ribbed by the boys to make a Star of David instead because Paul and Raven are both Jewish, with Raven responding that was stupid because Hak would just roll away. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

That is Scott Taylor front left, correct? That dude looks just like Walton Goggins. What a trip.

That is Scott Taylor; and he could be Walton Goggins stunt double.

You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2018 at 12:15 PM, Goodear said:

guidosmothers.jpg

Its my OCD nature, but Jeff Jones FBI shirt poking out is driving me crazy. 

This FBI were a great team. Maybe the best in ECW history.  They were great at comedy schtick but could also turn into killers on a dime and it worked. 

The FBI is a really underrated faction with no real bad incarnation. Even the WWE version was really good. My least favorites would be the JT Smith and Big Vito versions. But even those were decent.  The JT Smith version was funny, but it never translated to work or getting heat.

• Like 1