DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2018 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I originally wrote 2019 and that really messed me up.

Anyway - from the newest WON

WaleMania, which had been announced for April 4 in the New York area is very much in question. Court Bauer, who has produced the shows with Wale, said it’s not dead, but it’s more uncertain with WWE looking at working with Wale. Wale did commentary on parts of 205 Live on 8/14, and while that was all the two sides had agreed to, obviously a deal would preclude him doing an independent event Mania week. Wale has talked for years about either wanting an involvement with WWE, or to do his own wrestling company. Right now the plan is to use that date at the Melrose Theater for a TV taping

Pretty excited for Velveteen Dream's EVOLVE date. I think it's going to be really interesting to see that character in a non-NXT setting (I think it's also in his hometown, but I can't confirm. Gabe tweeted something about Dream having history in whatever building they're running). I wonder who he'll be working with

Edit: right after posting this I saw on Facebook that it's actually two dates. He'll be working w Darby Allin on the Queens NY date but I dunno about the Maryland one. 

29 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Pretty excited for Velveteen Dream's EVOLVE date. I think it's going to be really interesting to see that character in a non-NXT setting (I think it's also in his hometown, but I can't confirm. Gabe tweeted something about Dream having history in whatever building they're running). I wonder who he'll be working with

Edit: right after posting this I saw on Facebook that it's actually two dates. He'll be working w Darby Allin on the Queens NY date but I dunno about the Maryland one. 

Darby Allin vs Velveteen Dream sounds interesting as hell. I think his other opponent is Austin Theory.

• Like 1

I checked the August thread seeing it was locked and there was nothing there to show it was locked, so I figured some real bad shit must have gone down and Rippa deleted the offending posts.

Pleasantly surprised it was more benign than that.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I checked the August thread seeing it was locked and there was nothing there to show it was locked, so I figured some real bad shit must have gone down and Rippa deleted the offending posts.

Pleasantly surprised it was more benign than that.

Not gonna lie, I thought the same exact thing.

1 hour ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Velveteen is from DC but wrestled in MCW for a couple years.  I wasn't much at the shows then but he was teaming with Lio Rush.  The only time I saw him live pre-Velveteen was at an outdoor show where he was teaming with Hacksaw Jim Duggan.  The other added bonus is that with this being at the MCW Arena (a part of the flea market that's only open for shows) it'll give that MCW tie-in.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Infinit said:

So next year's Summerslam is the same weekend as the G-1 Finals. Maybe one of the most loaded wrestling weekends ever (I know it will be for me personally).

It would be funny if Vince was so petty about the MSG thing, that he moves The SummerSlam to Japan. 

So at some point today, someone's going to post on the board at the exact same time their past self posted "yesterday", August 31st, and the resulting time paradox is going to crash the board, right?

Honestly, DVDVR has been through so many board crashes over the years, I'm kinda surprised a time paradox outage hasn't already happened.  Unless it did and the original timeline was restored when service was restored....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Player One said:

So at some point today, someone's going to post on the board at the exact same time their past self posted "yesterday", August 31st, and the resulting time paradox is going to crash the board, right?

Honestly, DVDVR has been through so many board crashes over the years, I'm kinda surprised a time paradox outage hasn't already happened.  Unless it did and the original timeline was restored when service was restored....

All that's missing is Eddie Kingston backfisting Archibald Peck into the future, starting another complex Chikara storyline.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Catching up on Smackdown (I fell like two  months behind WWE during G1 season)  and watched The New Day tag title win. I'm legit amused that the Freebird Rule is a canonical wrestling rule across all companies. It's like a Supreme Court decision that because the 'birds defended the belts in a rotating three-man unit then everyone else should be allowed to as well. 

• Like 1

Nash Hall and Syxx used "Wolpac Rules" in WCW which is just Freedbird Rules with their name on it.

Stevie Ray used a variant of the Freebird Rule for the TV Title in the Summer of 98 when he was defending it on behalf of Booker T who took a sabbatical.

Both Triple X and 3LK both used the rule as their time as NWA Tag Team Champions.

The Band (Eric Young, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall) used the rule as TNA Tag Champs  

• Like 1

I'm watching a couple minutes of Starrcast on Twitch. Matt Striker tried pretending there was a line for Sgt Slaughter and Teddy Long. There wasn't. Both men took a minute to look into the camera and thank Vince McMahon for getting all of this started. Then we found out that Sgt Slaughter put the Cobra Clutch on the host lady earlier in the day. Matt Striker also had a mouth full of food. 

That was just some random two minute sample. I really hope it's representative. 

EDIT: Matt Striker and Justin Roberts are making small talk about Chicago vs New York pizza. This looks like wall-to-wall garbage and now I don't want to turn it off. 

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm curious with Ray/Lin Bairon's passing has any other woman pulled off a shooting star press yet?

I believe Ray is the only one to do a SSP off the top rope

Io Shirai has done a running SSP