DVDVR Message Board

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II (8/4/2018) - Los Angeles, CA (Staples Center)

Elsalvajeloco

Only caught the last three fights. Moicano's jab was incredible. Liked his respect. I'm tired of bros shit talking so hard. It's like watching a bad reality TV series with every character that ever said "I'm not here to make friends" So Moicano showing respect to another fighter is awesome. 

Didn't like the result of DJ/Cejudo. I just felt like it wasn't enough to safely give Cejudo the fight. But I'd totally watch a rematch. The fight was fun and DJ was great to watch.

Laughed so hard at the announcers starting the "Garbrandt's back is better so he can be even better than the last fight" commentary narrative..... followed by Dillashaw eating his fucking lunch. 

Don't know about the rest of the card but all three of those were good stuff.

15 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Running back Cejudo and DJ while going with Cruz vs. Dillashaw seems like the obvious answer. If guys want to move up weight classes, they should have to forfeit their titles. Ideally we get those two fights before the end of the year but who knows how long the flyweights need or if Cejudo is willing to do that fight after calling out the Dillashaw/Garbrandt winner.

That's what I wanna see as well. None of this 'best bantamweight of all time' shit when he didn't beat Cruz. Garbrandt got his immediate rematch, Cruz never did. Would love to see Cruz comeback for this and it to go like it did when he came back against Mizugaki. For all the talk there had been of DJ/TJ superfight, it came off like they'd set that up if DJ won, but since Cejudo won he was just inserted into that slot instead.

Not counting Marlon Moraes' WSOF fight that happened on NYE the day after Cruz-Garbrandt, Moraes and Assuncao are a combined 7-1 the last time Cruz fought. That lone loss was a head to head fight BETWEEN Moraes and Assuncao in Marlon's UFC debut. We can't have all this "X should be getting the title shot instead of Y..MMA ain't a sport anymore" or "this is holding up the division" but people are fine with the guy who has been on the shelf for nineteen months getting a title shot over two guys who have been consistently winning fights over notable fighters. I love Dominick Cruz, but he needs a win after the layoff and not having a good night against Garbrandt. In addition, he still has to be cleared by a doctor after his arm surgery. I'm not fully amped about seeing Cruz get a title shot right now under the current circumstances.

• Like 1

If the 227 buyrate comes back better than expected, they will sell someone's first born child to do Dillashaw vs. Cejudo because unfortunately you can't any other fight with their contenders to do as well. Keep in mind, they sold out Staples Center and did a $2.9 million gate. HBO is doing the third SuperFly card in September in LA....they ain't doing that gate. Granted a key part of those events is no longer a part of the equation after boxing's upset of the year happening twice and the other is doing a a non HBO tournament up a weight class. Those dudes have a legit fanbase to draw from in that market.

The only thing that matters essentially is UFC needing notable fights. The UFC starts with ESPN not too long from now. Whoever doesn't close out the year is going to headline an ESPN card early next year just because they're not starting that relationship off with your average Fight Night main event if they can help it. Cruz-Dillashaw I did a good number on FS1. If they get that same help on ESPN with their football coverage, I can see that giving Cruz some leverage in putting him in that fight. Otherwise, I don't see it especially if Cejudo is coming off a DJ win and asking for that fight. If the buyrate come back positive and neither guy is ailing, then Cruz don't have a prayer.

For a guy that likes to get KOs via counterstriking and risks taking punches in order to give them, Cody No Love sure does have zero chin for that kind of game plan.  I don't think I will ever get tired of seeing him get knocked goofy.

I love DJ, but I think that Cejudo did  enough in the scrambles to get the judges to see things his way.  He was on another level with his takedowns and Mighty Mouse is not an easy guy to get to the mat.

And that fucking Munhoz / Johns fight was off the hinges.  Munhoz's Fight IQ was off the charts.  Poor Johns paid the price for having too much confidence in his stand-up and not checking those leg kicks.

I have gotten accidentally kicked in the liver in Krav Maga class and that was it for me for a couple of days.  Johns fucking got back up from two of those shits in the same fight that were delivered on purpose...  That is mental and physical toughness for your ass, right there.  His brain would not let his body quit out on him and his body fucking responded..

• Like 2